Do you expect guests to say "good bye" when they leave?

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

Do you expect guests to say "good bye" when they leave?

We have had 12 bookings so far, all is going well, reviews are all great, but I am just curious about something: seems to me that more and more people are not listing anything about themselves in their profile anymore, and I feel more and more that people take it like a booking for a motel/hotel, where you just leave when you're done. But being in someone's home, I would think it is curteous to let it be known when one leaves.

The last 3 couples we had just left without saying good bye, though I do get an indication from them per message the eve before about when they might depart.

We spend time at the "check in"/beginning with them but then leave them alone, not to hover over them and to let them enjoy their privacy, but a good bye would be nice.... am I too sensitive or is this is the new norm now?

20 Replies 20
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I ask my guests to send me a text when they leave so I can go in and clean. 90% do. Certainly ask! I don't want a rough idea the night before, I want to know when they are out the door as I am hanging to get in there, always short of time.

We are not motels!

Kip0
Level 9
Virginia Beach, VA

I have a little check list for departure and the last thing on it is to text me to let me know they've left.  All of them have done it so I think it's just a matter of expectation setting in general.

For me personally when I travel I usually need to get going so I would probably prefer to do a quick note rather than a big farewell but it would depend on where I was staying and the vibe.

I have noticed a totally unscientific thing where Millenials don't really need to message much at all they trust in the system, Boomers need to get a message at least a week out so they know they're not going to show up to nothing and Gen Xers are a bit of both.

Could you share your checklist.

WE ASK GUESTS TO FOLLOW THESE DEPARTURE INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Leave sheets on beds and pull blankets flat on beds
  2. Leave towels on bathroom floors
  3. Clean kitchen, put items back and return to as found
  4. Basic straighten up
  5. Leave shed key on counter 
  6. Text Bye-Bye when they leave
Debi1
Level 10
Portland, OR

You address two separate situations.  

If the guest doesn't have a filled out profile that meets your satisfaction, please ask them to flesh it out.  I find that many Airbnb guests need some direction and education.  It's wonderful to urge them to improve ALL their future Airbnb experiences by offering a profile that discusses who they are, what they enjoy, and how they travel.  I always remind them that they are staying in a person's home, and that it is not only polite and proper to offer information about themselves, but puts the host at ease with having them in their home, too.

Manners are taught, and learned - and we all need teachers at some point in time for new experiences.  We are a culturally varied world, so the more transparent you are about what you would like in your host/guest experience the better.  We ask our guests two things - to write in the log book before they leave, and send us a text so that we can begin our own check-out process.  The majority of our guests do both.

C-C0
Level 10
Memphis, TN

I tell mine not to worry about saying goodbye, but to lock the door and hide the key. My listings are much more on the hotel end in terms of independence and privacy. Works for me--may not for anyone else.
Melanie58
Level 10
Boise, ID

A guest on Monday brought stones from their hometown that were laced with turquoise and told me about the process of turquoise formation, a fresh colorado peach which we shared together, experiencing it's bright flavor and savoring it as August comes to a close, and I told her about a beef jerky stand in the long lonely desert drive between where she started and where I live and she brought me a package as a gift!  That was too thoughtful really - brightened my whole day.  This family was followed by some young me that I never saw, despite them staying the night in my house - I had given them some tips on accessing the mountain area they were going to because of recent fires in the area that had impacted traffic.  I sense that they found my mothering overbearing, which I understand, and remember from being their age.  They slept until checkout and slipped away without me ever seeing them, but nonetheless left everything tidy, blankets folded, all in its place, towels hung in a row neatly along the towel bar.  I did find that I was a little irritated they left so late because I had limited time to pull everything together before my long term guest returned, and there was a lot to put back together because their party was larger than normal.  All that to say, I think I would have found my mind less focused on those shortcomings if they had said something in passing, even as simple as "thank you for having us", but I don't know if it's to be expected - just makes you appreciate those who do make a point to connect that way.  

Heather93
Level 2
Mount Pleasant, Australia

We play it by ear with each guest. Some we never see. Some we chat lots with. Each stays for a different reason. We are more than accom whatever it looks like and that's the main reason people choose Airbnb rather than hotel or hostel they say here.
I don't think I state I require notice from them re departure but all indicate in some way. Open communication even if it's just texts helps build more communication. 😊
C-C0
Level 10
Memphis, TN

I do adore a simple text; we can all do it and it's minimally disruptive. I even prefer my guests to text me about things if they're right down the hall.
Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

I think you are being too sensitive. Its a business we are all running, a transaction. No need to take it personal.

Hi @Dee9 , that was last August - I sure learned a lot since then! For sure, I never did take it personal as I know all about the business part, heck, I owned a business in the service industry for a long time!

So now I have my routine going, where I message the guests at the morning of their  departure, thank them for choosing our place and ask them to leave the keys where they were, etc... it all works out well - some guests make it a point to personally touch base with us, most don't - and that is perfectly fine, as they have their mind set on what they need to do next. All is well 🙂

Mainly I was just curious about what most people will do - now I know....

Hugh0
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

So one should just walk out of a shop when handed our purchase without a word - no acknowledgement of the server or word of thanks, because it was just a transaction? 

Hugh0
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

Some guests are relational. Some are transactional. In either case, I expect a simple message of goodbye and perhaps thanks. It is basic courtesy 101. Not to do so is rude.

Meta4
Level 2
Jakarta, Indonesia

I just let my guest leave without me saying goodbye as I preferred not to be so formal but feeling noone is hovering them for when they leave. Besides, being in Asia with a big villa, I allow them to check in and check out any time. No strict rules on specific times and a few more flexibles.