Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you fix things yourself?

Do you fix things yourself.jpg

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a great week.

From time to time, in any normal accommodation, there are minor repairs or improvements. For these little things you do not necessarily have to be a trained craftsman, but a certain skill will certainly benefit. 🙂 For my part I like to take small repairs in my flat into my own hands and admittedly, there are times I have thought to myself this wasn't the best idea, but most of the time it works out well! 

Are you a person who fixes things yourself? A little craftsman/woman, so to speak (I have a sneaky feeling many of your are). It would be great to hear about your last project you worked on?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

82 Replies 82
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Lizzie Hi,  I do enjoy the topics and discussions that appear pretty quickly. I just love the group that always add alittle humor and make me laugh out loud sometimes. Thanks for that.

IMG_20180830_105631.jpgWell, I had a father that could do anything and everything - so I just thought it natural to jump in and learn or give it a try. So I'm keen on projects for sure. Like when we converted our funky garage/into a massage spa  and 15 yrs later into our Airbnb cottage. I was slinging insulation/helping with anything and everything - did all the painting myself and alot of the flooring as well. I don't do plumbing BUT my husband and brother in law do that. I even built my little kitchenette with cabinets and all myself - that was a first and it was really satisfying to have an idea and make it real. And today with Youtube you can learn to do or build anything. I am so visual that I can watch it and get how to position stuff and help my husband fix anything - he is great with the tools and doing it but not so visual on how some stuff is to fit or where it goes and its a perfect blend - so two heads and our 4 hands are truly better than just 1. 

Mikki0
Level 10
Long Beach, CA

Yes! Having spent years in the construction field, not only do I do my own repairs, I also built my listing! 

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Put us on the DIY list.  My husband is the KING of home repair.  We purchased the house next door to our home and spent months updating the  place before listing it on Airbnb.  My husband and I demolished the interior walls but salvaged and refinished all the original doors, hardware and base boards. We hired an electrical contractor to rewire the entire house and a contractore install the granite in the kitchen and the tile floors for the entire house.  My husband replaced all the sheet rock on the walls and ceiling.  He installed all new windows and kitchen cabinets.  I refinished several of the furniture pieces in our listing.  Our current project is to redo the landscaping in the front yard.   

@LizzieI am learning to be handy. The best thing i bought a long time ago was a tall ladder that can reach high ceilings to change light bulbs. I have tools like a sanding machine, grout removal machines,  paint platforms, double/triple sets of tools and still want to accumulate more tools like the latest, a pro sanding machine. Its fun renovating and i love plastering walls, making bits of cement. I learnt to change my airbnb kitchen sink taps. It was super easy by following instructions. I want to build a dream home, thats how much i enjoy renovating. However i still rely on professionals to do the dangerous jobs, electrical, roofing, storm pipes, pro plastering. 

I also like to do things that challenge my other skills. I learnt to drive a boat, launch a boat, retrieve a boat. 

"GIRL POWER" LOL

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I must do everything in the island, and if do not know about a subject must learn about it quickly, not much choice in the matter. Guests come back-to-back every 4 days and the 'fixing window' is about 3 hours max between guests.

If a guest moves up their reservation to a latter date, we rejoice and it presents the perfect opportunity to add something new, and must be finished by the arrival of the next guests. This last week, we added this >

IMG_20181011_101744764b.jpg

Hey @Fred13, You made your island, you fix it.  Pretty sure that's actually a rule. 😉

This is really lovely.  You did this LAST WEEK?   Is that one of those little coves where you can pet dolphins? 

I wanna come play!!!!!

*)

Kim

Well, funny you should say that, two dolphins came by it yesterday (30 feet away is the deeper water) while the guests where unpacking. Their first comment was - 'This was not in the pictures, and this is where we be hanging out!". We added those chair-like hammocks and lighting since the pictures. 

Fred, that is beautiful! 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Glassless windows at that to @Fred0

You are blessed to have natural picture frames...

Others you may also have them in the form of trees and flowers..

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Fred

Fred, why do you spend so much time building all these useless little structures?.....there is no bed in there, it won't accommodate any more guests! Fred, it is a solution looking for a problem!

If you have got materials to burn you would be better off building that bridge from the mainland so that you won't have guests grizzling about access to Bird Island in their reviews!!

Cheers......Rob

Yeah, so that lady whining about not being able to drive to the island can't complain. Good point. 😉

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Robin@

Bless your cotton sox, with holes in, your quick wit always brings a smile to my day.

Shareef2
Level 2
Pāhoa, HI

Hi,  I'm Shareef and I do Airbnb in Arizona and Hawaii.  Fortunate to have all purpose handyman/co-host in Arizona.   Living in Hawaii,  i can fix minor things,  but have a few great handymen.

Chris1421
Level 1
Palm Harbor, FL

I renovated my whole place myself!   Take a look! 

Marie1018
Level 2
Bowling Green, OH

I tend to do alot of the fixing myself.  My husband and I both do maintenance, however we do live in an older home in which things do need repaired.  We are shutting down the room rental for 1 week to do some cosmetic repairs that we feel will improve bookings.  We are new to the Airbnb so its still a learning in process.  As we all know when you have a job in that particular field everything else tends to get fixed but your own so we are making the changes necessary to change that.