Do you follow social media hospitality personalities?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you follow social media hospitality personalities?

Screenshot 2021-05-19 at 13.36.31.png

The other day while I was waiting in line for a coffee, I came across a social media account promising to elevate my Hosting game. I clicked it and found a series of how-to videos and tips. Following different links, I quickly found myself going down the rabbit hole, exploring and getting information fatigue.

But this got me thinking. Thanks to social media, there truly is no shortage of information you can find just by scrolling. You could run into something you weren't even looking for or deliberately search for what it is you want to know. You could even be the one sharing your learnings with others. 

Personally, I turn to Instagram profiles for tips on interior design, ideas, or quite simply aesthetically pleasing content. I'm certainly not the only one looking for inspiration online, so I'm curious to know:

Do you utilise social media to help you on your Hosting adventure, and if so, what for? 

I'm keen to read your replies.

Thanks

Nick

27 Replies 27
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

I must admit @Nick, I can lose time looking at Instagram or Pinterest imagery. But I don’t watch many videos etc of hosting. I think you need to have the confidence, or build it up, to know what works for the space and yourself. They have to be compatible or neither reaches potential....

But I am due to get some better photos taken of some areas. But ahhh the time!  Lol.....

What’s  important is to be critical as well. If somethings not working so well, or as well as you thought it should, ask why or what needs to change. In this unrelenting Covid19 times, markets can change and so do guest dynamics who are looking at your space.... That’s my personal opinion only, from my booking guests. But stay firm to your overall plan and ideas so you don’t lose yourself.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I agree, @Cathie19 . I mostly checked it out of curiosity, but I can't say I saw something I didn't already know. Maybe for a new Host, it could be beneficial, though. 

I much prefer the advice Hosts receive from their peers here, on our CC, but I might be a bit subjective on the matter...

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Nope. But I do follow other people who own schoolhouse conversions like ours and a few are ABB hosts. 

I post a lot about our place and projects in our other properties on Insta.   I have gotten more than a few inquiries and bookings as a result.  Happy to follow any hosts here.  We are @firelycottagemd. I just posted pics of our before and after shoestring budget kitchen makeover in New Orleans (of which im.very very proud!)

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Nick 
As a rule, no, we have far too many books and magazines to read and prefer when it suits us to visit real shops, often a good charity shop of which we have several near my home, nothing beats the hands on experience when it comes to interior decorating.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nick  No, I don't. I'm not into "trends" and find a lot of online advice to be a "you should", when all hosts and Airbnbs are pretty unique. I really dislike it, for instance, when I read something like "You should always use white linens because that's what guests perceive as clean". My guests don't have notions like that. 

And I remember about 15 years ago when these teensy tiny bedside tables were trending. They were ridiculous- nothing fit on them but a small lamp. I have a very funny satirical article I clipped from the newspaper back then about them.

For sure, sometimes I run across a cool design idea that inspires me, but it's not something I actively look for.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh wow, those bring back memories @Sarah977 . They were a struggle to have anything on - I remember being annoyed by not even placing my book on them for some bedtime reading before going to sleep.

I agree that all Airbnbs are not the same, which is why I haven't really watched any of those videos. As you say, not one size fits all, although they could provide a general idea or a few valuable tips for a person who is new to hosting. I had to do some research at some point but found most of them to promote services. I believe that Hosts get way better advice on the CC and, of course, learn by experience.

@Nick  My oldest daughter likes to follow decor trends and had those tiny bedside tables. I think she had them for a year or less before replacing them with something more practical 🙂

Well, I am not a very social Media person but yes I like to read magazines and I think that's the better way to understand rather than looking at those flashy pics.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Nick  My approach is identical to yours, down to the letter.  No, I don't need their advice.  Yes, "I turn to Instagram profiles for tips on interior design, ideas, or quite simply aesthetically pleasing content."

I deal with words all day.  I don't want to read them when I scroll unless they're very, very witty.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I can certainly relate to that @Ann72 When I was working as a journalist and managing editor in Athens, I would read as much as I could, even on the minimum free time I would have - it came with the job.

Nowadays, I find more relaxing an endless scroll of images, although I will go back to a good book or a great magazine article when I have more time, feel more relaxed and able to commit. But, I'm not as in love with magazines as I once was. In all honesty, I even find it hard to concentrate sometimes.

Maybe it's me getting older, or perhaps all those notifications constantly seeking my attention in so many devices destroyed any attention span I once had, or it could be a combination of things. All I know is I'm perfectly happy scrolling through photos on working days and reading over the weekends. 

I'm in the same position about reading these days, @Nick.  It's frustrating to have so little interest in reading for long stretches after a lifetime of doing that.  Part of it is the pandemic and part, the business we're each in.  I recently sat down to read a copy of The New Yorker and found myself absorbed for a good hour.  It's because there was nothing popping up or flashing on the page, since I was reading the print copy.  My phone was turned off and my computer was in the other room.  That's what it took!

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

The struggle is real 😂😂 @Ann72 

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Almost all of my knowledge about the STR is based on this forum. STR was almost unknown for me. I spent...I don't remember...probably one year of reading and making notes.
And another few months to analize all available places in my area. One by one. Their location, reviews, pictures, amenities. What kind of guests are booking, what they are appreciating, what kind of places they are visiting. Almost every day- between half and 1 hour-reading and making notes, trying to find my way through the jungle of information.
I found some useful tips on Youtube also.
But yes...it's too easy to fall in to the rabbithole and get lost. Social media, bloggers, infuencers and other low flying pests must be avoided. At all costs. They can be helpful only if they are in the same area as you. In most cases, they are on the other side of the world and totally useless.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

The point you are making about their advice being useful if you are in the same area is a pretty good one, @Dimitar27 , and ties up with @Sarah977 saying about each place being unique.

Your approach to this was pretty great as you were doing your research and seeing what works for your needs (and what doesn't, which is equally important). I'm delighted to see the CC helped more than anything - I also believe this is the best place for advice. Of course, when I say that, people think it's because I work here, so it is always great to see others feel the same.