Do you have a virtual assistant(Alexa or other) in your space?

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

Do you have a virtual assistant(Alexa or other) in your space?

I have an extra Alexa unit from my old office. I was debating setting it up in my loft but wondered if others had and whether they found them to be beneficial to renters or a deterrent in some way? 

7 Replies 7
Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Annette76   We have a google home in our space since we allow our guests to turn on the heat or AC with it. But I've noticed guests also use it to listen to music  🙂 

I don't think it's a big deal if you don't have one though. 

Simon144
Level 3
San Diego, CA

Hi @Kaylee18 are these smart speakers considered unauthorized recording devices?  I got falsely accused of having one in my unit but I have yet to see any evidence from Airbnb on what the guest was talking about.  Maybe it was our Alexa ?  

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

Hey @Simon144 

On the website they state the following:

What's considered a security camera or a recording device

Any mechanism that can be used to capture or transmit audio, video, or still images is subject to these rules. This includes, but is not limited to, things like wifi cameras (for example, Nest Cam or Dropcam), nanny cameras, web cameras in computer monitors, baby monitors, mounted or installed surveillance systems, decibel and device monitors, and smart phones with video and/or audio recording capabilities.

Based on their definition, I would not include Google Home or Alexa device in there. 

I also had a guest accuse me of having a recording device, when it was an iHome thermostat reader LOL... You will most likely be fine 

James2566
Level 9
Holetown, Barbados

Not for guests. But I have one in my locked housekeeping room which my housekeepers use to add supplies to my villa shopping list, which is extremely handy as it’s all in one list on my Alexa app when I’m placing my orders from my office.

My smart TVs have built-in Alexa feature and that’s quite enough for my guests if they choose to use it, I have a laminate of instructions for things Alexa can do on the TV, like play music, check local forecast, etc. 

The Johnsons
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Annette76 ,

A great question and it reminds me of an article by the excellent German Host @Veronica-and-Richard0 a while back. You can read it here: 

Hotel Industry 2.0

I hope you find some useful info in here from our techie Hosts!

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Veronica-and-Richard0
Level 10
Lebach, Germany

yes, meanwhile most modern articles like TV, cars, ... have a built in smart system like alexa, apple carplay, ... so it is state of the art.

Guest which dont want it should be told how they can deactivate these devices, if wanted.

@Veronica-and-Richard0 

Absolutely.

Nonhuman things that talk to me CREEP ME OUT.  (Actually some humans do too but that’s another issue.)

Obviously I’m a fossil, but I vividly remember a science fiction story in which a computerized house decided that the best thing to do was kill the dog who made messes inside, and that worked so well it disposed of the people too.

After that its job was wonderfully easy. After all, it was programmed for maximum efficiency.