Do you have any signs for guests in your home?

Answered!
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you have any signs for guests in your home?

73d130d0-939d-4e02-bfa5-70b8c7366177.jpg

Hi everyone,

The longer you host, the more you learn about what you need to make clearer for guests. This is particularly true of actions that are done differently in different countries, such as recycling. You may have realised after one group of guests that you need to make a sign to specify what can or can’t be recycled, or, following a plumbing issue, you may have made a sign for the bathroom explaining what can be flushed down the toilet.

Have you put signs in your house for your guests ? What are they for?

If you have any examples that you’ve made and are happy to share, please do! Other hosts might find them useful 🙂 

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

1 Best Answer
Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Stephanie 

We have three notes:

-a simple "how to" for the remote control in a dollar store stand up picture frame placed next to the tv

-a quick note in the bathroom to remind guests to use the exhaust fan whenever the shower is running

-an info sheet in a magnetic sleeve posted on the fridge (attached photo - sorry it's sideways....). 

photo of info sheet.JPG

View Best Answer in original post

86 Replies 86

We had someone put our electric kettle on our electric burner, destroying both. We have a sign on each now.

Linda1213
Level 6
Vero Beach, FL

I have a welcome book with interesting things to do, a few ( reasonable) house rules and how to use some things. Also have a label maker to mark what light switches go to what, what button to push on dishwasher and what to add to recycling....

LBR
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Stephanie 

I have a little clipboard in the room with a free appetizer/dessert card from a local restaurant, the wifi password, and a note that says, "When in doubt, refer to rule #1 in the House Manual!" I'm hoping they become curious and actually open up the house manual and rules where they will see that Rule #1 is "Have fun."

I have a framed note in the bathroom indicating they can message me at anytime if they need extra supplies or anything else and a note with instructions for the coffee maker in the kitchen.

Nakayama0
Level 8
Oyabe, Japan

How to use a restroom controller 🙂

Almost no guest has ever experienced this type of automated toilet.

2.jpg

キャプチャ.JPG

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Nakayama0  

To the ones that are not used to it, it may sound like the Formula1 of the toilets ! 🙂

I have used a toilet similar to this one just one time. Anyway It was possible to use it in the traditional way. All have to do it was to press the flush button when I finished.

They should also put a seat belt! It would prevents the person being frightened by the water jet and falling from the toilet 🙂

That reminds me of my first time visiting the USA, I thought the toilet in my hotel bathroom was blocked because the water level was so high. I reported it on my way out to the front desk, and on my return it hadn't been fixed, so I asked for another room, they didn't ask me why just gave me another room.  

Being british I didn't like to complain that this one was blocked as well, mostly because I didn't want them to think I was the weird brit who blocked their toilets, so ventured out again (by now rather in need of a "bathroom break" ) found a bar, and lo and behold, their toilets were the same.....

then It clicked.

Cultural differences 😉

So funny.

Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

I've learned to put up a few signs around the place too.  Sometimes I am not able to meet guests until the day after they check in and occasionally our paths do not cross at all.  Signs usually(!) prevent problems - assuming people actually read them!  Here's what I have:

* The rubbish/recycling one (with a reminder to wash the cans/bottles first - to deter ants and yeah, fish reeks when left in the wheelie bin for the bi-weekly collection) and one for compost. Note to self: If guests ask if paper goes in the recycling, it is a good idea to confirm they are not asking about (used) TOILET PAPER!

* Certain demographics get the This is not a Squat Toilet pictograms.

* Others have to be reminded that there is no drying rack at the top of the cupboard (they are used to having a fan/vent system at ceiling level in the bedroom cupboards, and automatically hang their wet towels etc as high up as they can get them).

* Most guests walk straight past the hutch in the dining room, open every cupboard in the kitchen and ask me where the plates are.  Even after putting up a sign "Plates are over here" and an arrow pointing to the hutch, about half are still confused!

The signs which occasionally annoy guests "We are not kindergarten kids!" (although more often, they are pleased with) are the ones on the kitchen drawers/cupboards.  These let guests know where they can find cutlery, chopsticks, strainer (lots of guests cook pasta) etc. 
I put those signs up a few months ago after noticing a very polite but very shy guest ate nothing but sandwiches for a few days.  When I told her it was OK to use the kitchen, she said apologetically "I don't know where to find anything and I don't want to open everywhere in case I used your things."

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Hola @Stephanie 

Instructions how to use stuff are great.

I try not to have too many house rules written down. 

Kira♡

Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

The other sort of sign is a 'This Is What You Are Looking At'.

Heater.  Guests didn't recognize the "Small white thing" as a heater and spent a cold couple of nights.  Fortunately no mention of this in the public review.

"Your room key" (in an envelope).  There are some jetlagged guests who are used to swipe cards and in their mental fog, do not click that the metal object on the plastic thing is actually a key.  Got dinged for check-in.

Washing machine and dryer.  Guests from some countries are more familiar with front-loading washing machines (vs top loading - the most common type here) and will put their washing in the dryer.  Then tell you the washing machine is not working.

Renée16
Level 2
Charlottetown, Canada

Im sorry but I lol'd, I could totally see that happening and then me - trying to keep a straight face- dryly asking them if they tried the OTHER machine.

Marta794
Level 6
Portland, OR

Upon entering our studio guests are met with a 'Welcome' sign that mentions the bare basics that everyone wants/needs to know: Checkin/checkout times, wifi info, how to contact us, and where the control for heat/ac is located. The house manual goes into more detail and includes everything else about staying with us. The only other sign we have is our city rental permit which is required to be displayed. We also have a basket with detailed walk/cycle maps, coupons, menus, places of interest, etc. 

Ivan-and-Wendy0
Level 5
San Francisco, CA

Funny you should ask... We've been hosting for 10 years, and just added our first sign yesterday, a no laundry sign on the laundry machines. Because... We do not list laundry as an amenity, our rules say "No laundry," and the laundry machines are in a private closet that you'd only find by opening door after door. And yet, we recently had an Airbnb Employee (!!!!) wash her shoes in our washer. 

Jasmine220
Level 1
Bridgham, United Kingdom

I’ve just started hosting and have a ‘No Smoking’ sign and on my description state this also.  One guest pointed out that it doesn’t say No Vaping and I could do very little on this occasion as there was no sign confirming it was not allowed.   I have ordered a new sign which says it all to then cover myself completely .   Quick question views on guests lighting candles ? 

No smoking, no vaping, no candles and no incense. ...all listed in my profile.   My son is a firefighter.