Do you have any signs for guests in your home?

Answered!
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you have any signs for guests in your home?

73d130d0-939d-4e02-bfa5-70b8c7366177.jpg

Hi everyone,

The longer you host, the more you learn about what you need to make clearer for guests. This is particularly true of actions that are done differently in different countries, such as recycling. You may have realised after one group of guests that you need to make a sign to specify what can or can’t be recycled, or, following a plumbing issue, you may have made a sign for the bathroom explaining what can be flushed down the toilet.

Have you put signs in your house for your guests ? What are they for?

If you have any examples that you’ve made and are happy to share, please do! Other hosts might find them useful 🙂 

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

1 Best Answer
Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Stephanie 

We have three notes:

-a simple "how to" for the remote control in a dollar store stand up picture frame placed next to the tv

-a quick note in the bathroom to remind guests to use the exhaust fan whenever the shower is running

-an info sheet in a magnetic sleeve posted on the fridge (attached photo - sorry it's sideways....). 

photo of info sheet.JPG

View Best Answer in original post

86 Replies 86
Margret13
Level 2
Oslo, NO

After over 500 guests and 3 years hosting-I have translated my folder of tips and operating instructions into about 10 different languages. I  use Google for those languages I'm not familiar with and ask my guests to correct any errors they see... and they seem to enjoy doing that!  So now there's a language-appropriate folder for each group of guests. It is really appreciated, for very many can't manage English ...and certainly not our Norwegian language. 

I do have 2 laminated cards on the refrigerator.  One for emergency info and the other for the outdoor area and how to safely use fire pit and propane heater. I also post small labels in bathroom to remove linens on departure day. I leave cottage guide book that has tons of in formation about the area as well as the house rules.

Only one incident with a guest and SO that literally left my cottage like a s*%thole. Just imagine that term and you'll get the idea. I also send standard checkout list a few days prior to departure to refresh the guests  memories.

Happy hosting 

Felicia

Mia-and-Jem0
Level 1
Torrey, UT

I have labeled all of my light switches. 

Linda1620
Level 1
Perry, MI

We have "check out" sheets now that we put on each bed, since before maybe only the person renting would read directions, even though we have compiled a manual. We call it the Welcome Packet, with room by room answers to questions people have had, and we show it to the renter, but as others arrive, don't know if they ever look at it. Even though the check out sheet says Turn off lights, Turn off overhead fans, etc, often when we get home they haven't been. Oh well. Most people have treated our home with gentleness, but at least once a year we get a group (usually a group of guys) who spend most of the time drinking (as in 350 beer cans over a weekend) who are stupid drunk and cause some damage. Trying to weed them out. 

Shelley150
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

We have an "Inntroduction" booklet with photographs and instructions on how to use all things in the studio.

It's in full color and super easy to skim.  People tend to not want to read instructions so I find colorful photo's do the trick.  I don't have signs anywhere in the studio and had only one guest who was confused about how to turn the dimmer lighting off.  We have been hosting for 10 months now and have had lovely, respectful people renting our studio space.

Jill571
Level 1
Piha, New Zealand

This is my sign for the septic tank....I have one in each toilet, in a picture frame.

we have a septic tank.

what you put in the toilet goes to the tank,

and it stays there until it decomposes.
this can take quite a long time.

(including forever and never)

so don’t put paper towels, girly things, tampons, phone bills, nappies, goldfish, coffee grounds, condoms, hopes, or dreams down the toilet.

please put them in the rubbish bin

or take them with you. thanks!

@Jill571  I love the "forever and never" part 🙂

Deanna116
Level 1
Louisville, KY

I do have several signs to assist guests when neither my husband or I are there to greet them. We have an old house and some signs about how to use the electrics are helpful, akso the gas stove and the non-garbage disposal sink, as well. My guests are grateful for them and have told me so!

Lisa1933
Level 2
Washington, DC

We have been hosting for almost a year and usually have no problems with rule-breaking. However, we posted some signs after a few guests who flaunted our rules and caused damage.  Please understand, however, that sometimes people do not read signs and we have reinforced these in our house rules in our listing and in our guidebook which we printed out and put in the bedroom. But again, people don't read, so for really important rules dealing with security we state them in our welcome along with the check-directions. The signs we post deal with staying out of our electric fuse box (which is located in the Airbnb as it is in the basement, after two different guests turned off our electric in an effort to control the ac without asking anything --let it be said that a recent guest ignored the posted sign and turned it off again but we went down and dealt in person), keeping the exterior door locked and how to do so, no smoking, no drugging, how to use the electric kettle and electric burner (after a fire). The problem with signs is that sometimes they are too passive for some rather aggressive guests who need to be told, in no uncertain terms, not to do something. We have had a few that did whatever they felt like and no signs would have stopped them. I reported both to Airbnb support. Luckily, most folks are good guests and obey the rules. The signs also protect you from folks who damage your property and then say it's your fault. Ah, but we have signs and house rules, you can point out. If you are not a sign person then I suggest your house rules posted online include all the areas important to you but that stress safety and security. You can then print out house rules and put them in your guidebook so you have written evidence to support any claims in the future.  I usually reinforce issues through messaging during the stay, keeping it light, address anything in the private message part of the guest review part.  I have, however, publicly stated issues for serious breach of security rules so as to warn future hosts. Signs can help if you find your place attracts rule-breakers and you need the peace of mind. Always put "please and thank you" and translate (make sure you test them, translating them back to English as some translation engines get it wrong -- there are online dictionaries which beat google translate) into multiple languages -- ours are in English, Spanish, French, German, Russian and Chinese. My feeling is that it is important to recognize that translating can ease language and cultural differences. A good sense of humor is always key but this is your house and you want to keep everyone safe inside.

Julie660
Level 4
Rockford, IL

I have a sign on the frig "house rules you have already agreed to" and I reiterate what they agreed to, such as check out time, wash and put away the dishes, no parties, no pets, no drugs, etc...

No one has every said anything about the sign and I haven't thought twice about having it up.  Seems like a total non-issue.

Julie

Patricia1172
Level 2
New Jersey, United States

This season was a banner season. Living on the Jersey Shore has improved my knowledge of what guests are looking for.  Being close to the beach and not having to drive to it made all the difference in the world for guests who wanted to smell the salty air. 

Only one guest caused me to post a sign in the kitchen, saying, "Please don't throw food cuttings down the drain." One renter did and backed up the plumbing, which is all-new in this renovated suite. It was alarming to the point of, "I don't need this anxiety." Thus, the sign. So far so good. 

Patricia

Jersey Shore

Jeffrey325
Level 2
California, United States

I agree, less is more.  We have a large ranch, so I made custom signs pointing guests in the right direction upon arrival.  We also have a few small labels in the house that we made with a label maker to help guests know what switch does what, etc.