Do you host an RV/Airstream?

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Do you host an RV/Airstream?

I feel like I've seen this question before, but cannot get search to pull up anything relevant.

So, if you are an Airstream/RV host would you mind to give a pros/cons discussion?

I'd like to have an Airstream available for our personal use (travel) and would like to have it as a supplement to our existing listing (parked) as well. But I'm concerned about maintenance and user error. I have a hard enough time explaining the rules & expectations for our barn, so I envision some difficulty explaining a camper toilet, heating, etc to guests.

So, what's the worst a guest has done to your trailer?

If you were rehabing an older model specifically to ABB, what would you put in/leave out/change??

Thoughts??

Thanks!!!!

11 Replies 11
Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I don't have an AirStream, but depending on location those are big money makers. Theres one in California overlooking the ocean that goes for $500 a night and was featured in a Vogue magazine. It was on the front page of AirBnB a few days ago as well. Looked really nice and the description was very informative.

Hi Everyone,

I'm a superhost in Oakland Ca.  We have a little apartment on our ground floor, we've been hosting there for 2 1/2 years. 

Here's my Airstream question:  I have a friend who has an airstream trailer on her working farm in Petaluma CA and she would like to fix it up and become an Airbnb host.  I'm trying to help her get set up.  I have heard that there are people who specialize in fixing up Airstreams as tiny houses - do any of you know of such a service?

Thanks!

Jenny

Oakland CA

Gillian120
Level 4
Peachland, Canada

Hi

We rent our 25ft 2018 flying cloud airstream which we have on a purpose-built pad as one of the three units we rent on our property and it has been a great success.  However, we only rent it for a maximum of three nights to no more than 2 adults.  I meet them when they arrive and go over everything.  The biggest issue is the toilet whereby I explain they should only use a little toilet paper, flush frequently and use the toilet inside our utility room for No 2's.   We put the awning in and out for them and are on hand should there be any issues, which so far there has not.  Before they book we outline the list of rules and make it clear the airstream is for their use only and are not allowed visitors and guests accept this. 

Would never rent an airstream or any trailer our for that matter if not physically on-site or for longer than a few nights at a time.

@Kelly149 Hey Kelly! We airbnb a restored 1971 Nomad in our backyard. All in all it has gone great! We have taken several steps to guard against rookie errors or guests that don't read.

Over the last two years, out house manual has gotten a little long and we do utilize little notes as reminders but they are cute and tastefully incorporated into the decor. Some examples: one the mini fridge plug "fridge, please don't unplug" on the toilet sprayer "this is for cleaning the toilet bowl, not for cleaning human bodies" and so on.  The only guests that have done any real damage in 2 years were very intoxicated and would have probably damaged any space.

We are very strict about a 2 guest max and a 4 night max. We warn guests that they are booking an unusual listing and only to book if they love the idea of staying in a camper.

We always offer to set up the second bed in advance if guests are not comfortable (though that might not be an issue with an airstream.) We have disabled the stove and put in a microwave and coffee maker. We offer the use of the stove in the house. There is no shower in out camper so we do let guests use the shower in the house too- but we limit house access to 6 am - 8 pm so people aren't coming in while we are asleep and this has not been a problem, 

Most importantly we went ahead and ran a sewer line to the camper so we can connect the hose and drain the toilet and spray it out without much fuss between guests- hence the 4 night max. This was an expensive investment up front but makes the whole thing doable and allows us to host one night stays without difficult toilet logistics. 

Hope this helps! 

@Laura-and-Jesse0 

Very interesting - thank You.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

so, the two folks who actually actively do this that we've heard from @Laura-and-Jesse0 @Gillian120 ...neither of you let guests poop in the trailer.

that is a significant data point

Thanks!

@Zacharias0 did Vogue mention if you could poop in the $500/night trailer??

I know it would be popular in my market... just can't decide if I'm up for it or not

@Kelly149 We actually do let the guests poop in the trailer. We upgraded the toilet and flush the waste directly into our sewer line and spray the blackwater tank out clean between guests. We don't have a shower out there so they have to shower in the house (and they can poop in the house if they want 🙂

@Laura-and-Jesse0 I'm sorry I read that incorrectly... But still that means you either have un-showered people in the trailer or visitors in your house...

and gosh, if they can choose btwn pooping in the trailer (limited space) or in your house, then I'm guessing they pick the house, unless it's past 8...

@Kelly149 Honestly it's weird how smoothly it works! I think people who stay like the novelty and the walkable location but are not looking for luxury. Most people don't spend much time in the house- a few do but they seem to be the younger ones who have used airbnb from the early days and know their way around shared spaces. Sorry if that is a generalization but it is our anecdotal experience. I think most people who book travel trailers travel solo or with people they are very cozy with, so pooping and privacy have not really been an issue- and we are talking about hundreds of trips and 500 plus guests since we started! 

Hi 

We leave our pipe connected to sewer but close the tanks as

The black valve can NEVER be left open, since “solids” will build up in the black holding tank when the “liquids” run out. But there’s a fair amount of discussion about the gray valve. Some people recommend that you should never leave the gray valve open either, as it can allow odors from the park’s sewer system up into your RV. 

We do not leave our grey tank open either because scum can form in the bottom of the tank giving a horrible smell.

Guests do not seem to mind only being able to pee in the airstream I must say and one guest said she has never stayed in an onsite trailer and been able to use the toilet.

@Gillian120 Of course! I should have been more clear- we keep the valves closed during the guests stay then open them both to flush everything out between stays. Not being experienced RV people initially and learning by doing we learned that lesson the hardest way so I don't want to mislead anyone 🙂 Also we have found adding a couple drops of organic peppermint oil to the tanks water helps keep everything smelling fresh.