Answered!
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you host during the Holiday season?

Luggage

Hello everyone,

I can't quite believe I am saying this, but the Holiday season is fast approaching us! Millions of people use this period to visit family, friends, but for many they love to travel. As a host it can be a very busy time, but it is also an amazing opportunity to celebrate with people from all around the world.

Do you open up your home to host during the Holiday season? If so, we would love to hear how you make this time extra special. Perhaps you do something festive to welcome your guests or have memorable stories of celebrating with them.

We’d love to hear how you are preparing or whether you have stories or experiences from the past. Our Marketing team may ask to feature them in an upcoming campaign! 🙂

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

1 Best Answer

Absolutely! I love having guests in our home during the holidays while we are visiting our own family in another city. We leave our Christmas tree up and stockings hung so that the family that is renting our house can still experience the festivities. Last year a sweet family with young children stayed in our home. I loved hearing from the mother how much her family felt at home and enjoyed simple, classic Christmas decor. I think if you are going to host during the holidays, its a very nice touch to include some festive elements without cluttering up the space. 

View Best Answer in original post

63 Replies 63
Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

Depends. My place still owned by my grandfather, who had to move to a nursing home after a stroke. One of the conditions of doing Airbnb is that I'm only allowed to have guests when I'm in town, or have a housesitter. So this year, as I'm going to visit my girlfriend's family, I won't be hosting during Christmas, but I am for Thanksgiving. Years when I'm in town for Christmas, I do host, but I find I don't get as many inquiries as I would have expected. I guess a lot of people stay with family at that time of year. I'm hoping to be able to buy the house within the next couple years, at which point I'd have no problem hosting while away. 

Steve
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I would if there are any takers. So far, nothing.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw well it is still early @Marit-Anne0, you never know you might have some bookings still. Norway would be a fantastic place to visit at this time of the year, just need some woolly jumpers and cozy clothes and it is a perfect stay! 🙂

Have you had guests in the past stay for this time of year?

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie

Christmas in Norway means the inhabitants go into hybernating for days on end and everything is closed.  Short daylight hours and the prospect of a steady downpour to boot is probably not that enticing.  In the end I will probably let some homeexchangers stay more or less for free - IF there are any takers.

Same in France - never any takers.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww @Marit-Anne0 it sounds very much like my home town where everything closes and you need stock up on milk just incase! I have to say though it's a very good excuse to get cozy and have a film marathon or tackle the pile of books your get as gifts? If you are like me...I always find a 1000 piece jigsaw hard to resist! 🙂

--------------------

Lizzie

We decorate the cottage and make it really Santa like. The stove adds to athmosphere and we leave out Christmas cake and pudding.

Pat.

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

As I host in my personal residence - I will NOT be hosting over Thanksgiving as my own family will be visiting. I'm undecided about Christmas as I'm not sure of our plans just yet. 

I have decorated mg guest entrance for Autumn, and will maintain it through November - at which time I will redo the space with some holiday touches. Winter theme 

Continued ... 

winter themed, not religious or overtly Christmas. Not only because my guests are of every faith and nationality but because it's my personal taste. The house will have a tree and other traditional Christmas decor but the guest space will be winter. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This sounds lovely @Willow3, I like the sound of your Winter theme. What kind of things do you decorate your house with?

I feel as the years go by I am building up more of a collection of decorations, I have to say there isn't much of a theme to them at the moment though, last year's addition was a small bright pink reindeer! hehe

--------------------

I stick to a white, silver, antique gold color palette and then add natural elements. I'm a big fan of real greens and intend to drape the door to the suite with garland and pincones. My tree is mostly crystal snowflakes and White House Historical Society ornaments. I intend to add snowflakes to the guest spaces, probably hanging in windows as suncatchers. 

I put cotton flannel sheets on for colder weather, and will put some festive pillowcases on the bed. Not a lot, as I don't want to overwhelm the space, but enough to keep with the holiday season. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It sounds very magical @Willow3 and it sounds like you have quite an artist eye. 🙂 I agree that there is something lovely about bringing in folliage and using that as decoration. We usually have some holly around the doors. I have been known to spray paint silver or gold branches/twigs and I have found it is quite effective for decoration. 

I love your subtle use of snowflakes as suncatchers. That is quite a nice idea for all year around (perhaps not snowflakes) but I am sure they really help to brighten up a room. 

How do you normally celebrate the time, do you have many traditions? 

--------------------

We do host holiday guests and we do decorate, although modestly, so as not to be offensive or to induce allergies with natural products.  We have had holiday travelers, although most are just passing through.  We seem to be attractive to guests with pets, and that is fine with us.  Now that the free standing cabin is our listing, we would love to see a couple come out our way to hide for the holidays.  Eliz

Speaking of pets - it would be great to have a tab to add a charge for guest’s pets. 

Absolutely.  Chappell Hill, TX is a very small, quaint little destination town and the Christmas Parade goes right in front of the house.  We holiday it up every holiday!  Just finished the Scarecrow Festival.