Answered!
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you host during the Holiday season?

Luggage

Hello everyone,

I can't quite believe I am saying this, but the Holiday season is fast approaching us! Millions of people use this period to visit family, friends, but for many they love to travel. As a host it can be a very busy time, but it is also an amazing opportunity to celebrate with people from all around the world.

Do you open up your home to host during the Holiday season? If so, we would love to hear how you make this time extra special. Perhaps you do something festive to welcome your guests or have memorable stories of celebrating with them.

We’d love to hear how you are preparing or whether you have stories or experiences from the past. Our Marketing team may ask to feature them in an upcoming campaign! 🙂

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

1 Best Answer

Absolutely! I love having guests in our home during the holidays while we are visiting our own family in another city. We leave our Christmas tree up and stockings hung so that the family that is renting our house can still experience the festivities. Last year a sweet family with young children stayed in our home. I loved hearing from the mother how much her family felt at home and enjoyed simple, classic Christmas decor. I think if you are going to host during the holidays, its a very nice touch to include some festive elements without cluttering up the space. 

View Best Answer in original post

63 Replies 63
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Lizzie Great topic! We opened our place up for the entire winter last year & got pre, post & over Christmas bookings. We have a wintery cabin in the woods & I guess that had some appeal. Our guests were people coming to the area to spend Christmas with their families, but wanting to either take a break while the grandparents looked after the kiddies, or do some skiing over the holidays or have a family Christmas away from but close to home. We had a Christmas tree decorated in a woodland theme, a few snowmen decorations, and peppermint bark set out in a moose themed Christmas dish - nothing very elaborate. This year we've decided to close it down for the winter & just have a seasonal rental (May - Oct end). We get so much snow out there, it was really a lot of work keeping the driveway and deck clear for guests ... we're not getting any younger, so decided to skip that part. 🙂 -Karen

Shelley72
Level 1
Orem, UT

We have a family coming to stay for Christmas, and they asked if they could put up a Christmas Tree.  I was touched.  I plan on adding text to my listing allowing guest to decorate as they wish.  Maybe make it a little homier. (anyone experience this?  am I opening myself up for a mess?)

If we are in town, we host. Lots of folks travel to visit their families during the holidays and need accomodations. We've always had guests for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and especially New Year's.

Our very first guest was over Thanksgiving in 2015. She was traveling alone and we took her with us to a Friendsgiving potluck.

This year we have some tasteful fall and Halloween decor on our porch, and may even put up our Christmas tree in December. We've been afraid to do any decorations in the past as not to offend guests. Guess we'll find out.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That sounds really fun @Todd-and-Reese0. I like the sound of your 'Friendsgiving' potluck, I have never been to one–is this where you spend Thanksgiving with friends and you all bring different food dishes? It is a lovely idea. Did you guest enjoy the occasion? 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Yes, a "Friendsgiving" is usually a potluck where everyone brings something. Our guest did very much enjoy the event and added to the festivities. She and Reese keep in touch via social media.

Team-Taylor0
Level 2
Ewa Beach, HI

Im definitely looking for guests during the holidays. Thanksgiving and Christmas is looking goid for us here in Hawaii 

I host on holidays!! In most cases the guests are visiting family and friends. I may get to briefly see them, but other than that they are always gone during the day.

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

We are open for Christmas and New year and thanksgiving which is no a big deal here. We decorate the apartments and have real trees which spend their summers in our garden.

One visitor over Christmas is travelling by themselves and thanked us for asking whether they wished decoration to be there or they would like the place neutral.

I know that the holiday season is not good for some people and they just want to get away. 

Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

@Lizzie We love to rent for Christmas and New Years. We live in a resort community that thrives during the holidays. We have put up a freshly cut tree for a family, and love white tinkle lights for a fun feel. Excited to host two different families this year!

cheers

colleen

Kelly-And-Larry0
Level 2
New Braunfels, TX

We enjoy hosting during the holidays. Sometimes guests have to travel during this time of year to visit family and friends. They really appreciate the extra effort and "homey" feel of the house. I am happy when I see guests on the porch with the pumpkins lit or by the Christmas tree sipping hot chocolate in the mugs I left for them. As a retired teacher I have an abundance of Christmas mugs and am glad they get used.

Ironically, after this post my guests left early. When I went in to the guest house the Fall/Halloween table decorations were under the table and covered up with the table runner. 

Mark418
Level 2
Bethesda, MD

We have hosted for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, as we visit relatives during those times.  For Thanksgiving I try to have a converstation with the guests about what I can leave out for them (that is normally stored away) such as a roasting pan big enough for a turkey, gravy boat, etc.  We have gotten families gathering from around the U.S. where the parents have downsized and no longer have room for all of their adult kids and their families.  For the winter holidays, last year we hosted a Muslim family visiting from London to see their US (local) family.  Since we do not celebrate Chrismas ourselves, and I knew our guests were Muslim, I did no decorating.  In previous years I have decorations for "winter" and 'woodland", which like someone else mentioned, includes snowflakes, pine (real and articifial), small woodland creatures, teddy bears, a wooden sled, etc., not really that hard to find where craft or such things are sold, and none with anything representing Santa Claus or Christmas.  My Jewish husband insists that "red" is Christmas, so nothing is red!  Here in the US many families are visiting their relatives who do not have room for them in their homes, and renting our home that sleeps 9 is much less expensive than hotels.  We do not allow parties at the house, and guests must ask permission for any gathering larger than 12 guests.  If they tell us they want to have their local relatives over for a meal, we allow it.  Three night minimum and relatively high nightly rate helps weed out people who would not care for our home the way we do.   

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

We usually have the family over for dinner for the big holidays. My son comes in from Virginia and that takes our room. I may consider releasing dates if he doesn't come in. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

@Lizzie:
We host year round and always end up with bookings over the holiday days. We decorate our houses for fall with autumn colors, towels and table runners. For Christmas we usually put up a small tree and swap out the towles and table runners with Christmas themes. We also purchase little gifts for the family staying Christmas day to open so they will feel at home. Last year one of our guests was so touched that she actually cried. I suppose something like that is one of the few times a host can make a guest cry and still get 5 stars!   

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Our listing is available all year round.  For fall, I decorate with pumpkins and serve fresh baked Pumpkin Bread to our guests.  During December it's time for the Farm House Christmas decor, without the tree.  Guests get Cranberry Bread and an assortment of Christmas cookies.