Do you keep a guest book?

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you keep a guest book?

435839208_0438.jpg

Hi everyone, 

I’ve seen a few of you mention a guest book in your listings, and I always think it’s a lovely way to keep a record of all your great guests. I think it’s also nice to have a read and see if fellow guests have recommendations of things they have stumbled across (and when), and I remember doing this in the past on family holidays. 

However, I haven’t seen a guest book in recent years at any of the Airbnb’s I’ve stayed at, so I wonder if it’s not a very popular thing to do nowadays? I guess it could be just another thing to manage within your listing, but it could also be a great way to pick up minor points of feedback which might not make it into a review. 

Do you keep a guestbook, and what format does this take? Do you use it for getting feedback or just as a resource for other guests?

Thanks,

Katie

69 Replies 69
Debra48
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Hahaha...we were just thinking of starting a guestbook. We have the most fascinating guests who are highly creative people and inspired by the property, as it is a bit of a muse. We thought of pointedly asking our guests to share their current passions in a guest book. I don’t know if we’ll act on it, though. But it would certainly add to the history, the color of the house. 

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That would be a cool way to document your guests and get their creative insights @Debra48 - like @Colleen253 does, you might even get some sketches or poetic testimonies! Will you buy one or create one to match your listing do you think?

I haven’t thought of customizing one. That would take some effort, but would be a fun project, Katie! Thanks for the suggestion. I have so many other priorities with this house, and so little time, that I find myself having thoughts like, clean rugs or customize a guestbook? The practical stuff always wins out in the end. 

@Debra48  Your place is amazing and I've saved it!  Just get a blank notebook and leave it somewhere with a pen for now - at some point you can make it a more focused project.  I'm with you on the practical things - I was "clean rugs or write a book about the story of the house?" this morning 😂

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hahah I would love to read the story of your house @Ann72

@Debra48 I agree that it's probably easier to start with the basics - I'm sure you've spotted it but others have shared that a sturdy book works best, and labelling it clearly as the guest book is also a winning tactic 😊

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I don’t have one and haven’t seen one in a short-term rental. I’ve seen them often in Bed and Breakfast inns.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Would you consider getting one @Pat271 or is it just another thing to monitor which you don't need? 

@Katie  I briefly considered getting one but decided against it.  One thing that swayed me is the possibility of some very young person messing up the book or adding some sort of inappropriate verbiage that would need to be removed.  I am a remote host and would be unable to check the book after each stay.  

I do think that a guest book could be a good choice for in-property hosts, or local hosts who maintain the property in between guests.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

I have one. It’s just there, for guests to write in or not, as they see fit. Most people write a few words on what they loved the most about their stay. Some get quite poetic. Some add little sketches of the view or the wildlife they’ve spotted. I look forward to opening the book after a stay.

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

I actually love writing in guest books and always do a wee sketch of something that I have seen. 
Strangely I don’t have one myself 🙂 

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw I love the idea of guests doing sketches in the guest book @Colleen253 @Ria16 - I'd love to see them if you have pics! I like the idea of framing them and hanging them within your listing too (once the book is full obviously) ✏️ 🎨  

@Colleen253  I've had some cute sketches in my guest book too! Never expected people to be so creative but it's so fun to see! One guest sketched stick figures of him and his girlfriend holding hands. 🙂

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

I love reading them when I see them at places I stay, so fun to see activities others have tried or enjoyed.  We have one in our condo,  some write very detailed descriptions of everything they did or enjoyed, some just say thank you, some have every member of the group sign, and some write such lovely things in the guest book, but then fail to give a review.   Either way its all good!

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing @Michelle1851! I agree that it's good to read them when staying somewhere. How strange that guests will write in the guest book but not leave a review - does this happen often?