Do you keep a guest book?

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you keep a guest book?

435839208_0438.jpg

Hi everyone, 

I’ve seen a few of you mention a guest book in your listings, and I always think it’s a lovely way to keep a record of all your great guests. I think it’s also nice to have a read and see if fellow guests have recommendations of things they have stumbled across (and when), and I remember doing this in the past on family holidays. 

However, I haven’t seen a guest book in recent years at any of the Airbnb’s I’ve stayed at, so I wonder if it’s not a very popular thing to do nowadays? I guess it could be just another thing to manage within your listing, but it could also be a great way to pick up minor points of feedback which might not make it into a review. 

Do you keep a guestbook, and what format does this take? Do you use it for getting feedback or just as a resource for other guests?

Thanks,

Katie

69 Replies 69
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Katie 

Hi everyone, I just started hosting September 2020.  First thing I did was leave a guest book in a basket along with other things like local pamphlets, weekly paper, and pens.  I just use a notebook from the local dollar store.  The first few guests, just didn't notice it.  Then after I wrote "Guest Book.  Please!" across the front, every guest left a message.

It's fun to read! Sometimes, little comments they leave can point to an improvement that may be minor, but will ultimately make my Airbnb just a little better.  It's good for future guests when they stay to have a second look around via someone else's comments and thoughts.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's a really good point that I guess you have to make sure the guest book is clearly on show for the guests, as otherwise they might miss it @M199. Do you find that guests are more likely to leave minor feedback in the guest book than message you directly?

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Katie 

About 90% of my guests leave a 2-3 line comment, usually about something special that they were not expecting.  For example, birthday, dog treats, or even sending a guest about something special like a Blue Moon on Halloween night, as happened in 2020.  I think that by leaving a guest book and pointing it out to them, it makes them think about their review during their stay.  Other times, the guest book comment is the same as the online review.

Lisa-And-Jim3
Level 2
California, United States

3D220573-D49D-483D-BF92-0F6A8898F918.jpeg

DDC03FEF-2B0D-4429-8389-9B568ACA27EB.jpeg

 yes! Our guests love our guest book- we still get reviews on AirBnB site as well. Recommended ‼️

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I love the format you have here @Lisa-And-Jim3 - it's great that you frame the constructive feedback as 'recommendations' too as it invites suggestions without any overt negativity 😊

Did you have it made especially for your listing?

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Katie,

No, I don't have a guest book.  Many of my guests don't even write legible messages to me that are related to their reservation.  I doubt that they will take pen to paper, and scribe a poignant note sharing the experiences they had during their stay for fellow guests to peruse.  

Don't keep a guest book - declutter and win!

Anthony223
Level 10
Portugal

@Katie  I've thought of this often but been too busy (or lazy) to search for one.  One day I'll just do it, maybe.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I wonder if the replies from fellow hosts will sway your decision here @Anthony223😊

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Over the past twenty years I have always had a visitors' book in my holiday cottage on the Isle of Skye.

However, I find the majority of my Airbnb guests can't be bothered writing in it. I conclude this is part of the short-attention-span tourism facilitated by the likes of Airbnb and Tripadvisor, where people beam in for a couple of days and whizz round the places recommended on social media, taking selfies, without getting any real feel for our island, its culture and hidden attractions.

My more mature and sensible guests, who book directly and stay longer, do take the time to write in detail in the visitors' book and it's rewarding to read their comments and appreciation of what we provide.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It's interesting, perhaps it's getting old fashioned nowadays @Fiona256? I do wonder if you're on a longer trip, you simply have a bit more time to be able to sit down with the guestbook and relate what you've been up to and what you recommend

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

It’s not a guest book per se , but rather leaflets in our Bach manual that offers guests to leave feedback. There have been some that do leave comments or ‘reflections on their stay ‘.

I guess that means they actually looked through our Bach manual - handy info , house rules.....

@Katie 🤣 

@Katie A Guest book was a tradition at our home in Germany. We were a big family and always had many guests. When I got married in Italy I continued this tradition, even if it is not used here, and of course I made a guest book available in the house we rent. I really enjoy reading guests comments, their drawings and poems and then remembering them from time to time.Our first guest book from 2008 to 2020Our first guest book from 2008 to 2020

11BB3FE6-B3A7-4A2D-BF26-21856C061F08.jpeg

4D3EA202-46A0-4951-850E-A178EB52ECD6.jpeg

AB484037-CDB7-4D94-BFF7-147E311D499E.jpeg

Our new guest book from 2021Our new guest book from 2021

This year we finished our first guest book in Villa Bianchi and start a new one in the hope that guest will arrive despite these difficult times.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw it's so lovely to see the photos of the entires @Angela1056 - the drawing is really evocative too!  Do you find that different nationalities are more inclined to write in the guestbook? 

Absolutely @Katie! But is it not just a question of nationalities (you can find it more often in German, Swiss or Austrian homes, in Italy it is not used) but also about generation. Elderly people like me really enjoy written memories, leafing through a book even after many years and not only have them on their electronic devices. But I noticed that If you make a guest book available in your home also young families and children are happy to leave their comments.