Do you keep a guest book?

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you keep a guest book?

435839208_0438.jpg

Hi everyone, 

I’ve seen a few of you mention a guest book in your listings, and I always think it’s a lovely way to keep a record of all your great guests. I think it’s also nice to have a read and see if fellow guests have recommendations of things they have stumbled across (and when), and I remember doing this in the past on family holidays. 

However, I haven’t seen a guest book in recent years at any of the Airbnb’s I’ve stayed at, so I wonder if it’s not a very popular thing to do nowadays? I guess it could be just another thing to manage within your listing, but it could also be a great way to pick up minor points of feedback which might not make it into a review. 

Do you keep a guestbook, and what format does this take? Do you use it for getting feedback or just as a resource for other guests?

Thanks,

Katie

69 Replies 69
Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Katie , great thread.   We never did a guestbook, not sure why exactly, just seemed like another thing to keep up with although Im sure it would be an interesting read for sure.  Stay well, JR

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Katie @Melodie-And-John0  There's no keeping up required.  I just put out blank books and a pen when I first started and people wrote in them.  For many it's part of the ritual of staying at an inn, a B&B, or a vacation rental. 

It's nice to look through them when I get there.  Here is one of my favorite entries because I love her artistic and decorative handwriting.  Penmanship is a forgotten art!

guest book entry.jpeg

Rajan2
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

We have a guest book in our Airbnb and have had one is all my past Airbnbs. It's a great way for guests to leave feedback and usually they leave nice messages for us. With the current crisis, we have removed it and many other elements to help keep the space clean. We will be putting it back in after Covid is over. 

Heather133
Level 10
Stowe, VT

We've had some wonderful guest book notes and artwork. We've also had some entries made by folks who were clearly drunk at the time, mostly in our larger properties. By and large, it's really a pleasure to read them, even if I've had to dig out the white out a couple of times. (:

Brian1613
Level 10
West Palm Beach, FL

We keep a guest book. You get really nice reviews.  We are scanning them, using Evernote’s Scannable app, so we can put them on the website. The typed ones are always appreciated, but these handwritten ones lend some authenticity.

We are scanning these to leave as testimonials on our website.We are scanning these to leave as testimonials on our website.

AD792E9C-5507-406F-80EF-03605B9F5CC9.jpeg

AE91781A-2F60-4FAE-BD58-B24E42EDA243.jpeg

We inherited a chalkboard, in our private suite. There, we leave a bit of chalk, and let people comment away.

D9FC59D7-21FB-4D9E-9E33-0B21D8F3B158.jpeg

Positive expressions, from positive experiences, build on one another. I think, when people come in, and see all of that affirmation, it sets a good tone for the experience. If we live up to those expectations, which we set, then the guests feel welcome, and special. It’s the kind of affirmation that good travel experiences should be all about.

Brian Ross
Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Some great tips here @Brian1613, thanks for sharing! 

I love the blackboard too - do you remove a few messages every so often, to make space, or leave guests to get creative and squeeze their message in where they can? 

A little of both. We find they get very creative figuring it out themselves. We leave the chalk. They do most of it themselves. It’s fun!

Brian Ross
Max144
Level 10
Bongaree, Australia

I also have a guest book and its so good to remember all the past guests that have traveled from around the world to my humble abode.

Janie41
Level 2
Joplin, MO

We use the guest book in our Airbnb’s. It’s a great way for the guest to express their stay, offer tips of travel, or mention an area area that needs addressed (such as a larger coffee pot). The guest book has been a wonderful tool for us and future guests. 

Ginger110
Level 1
Thorntown, IN

I have one, and it is one of my favorite things about hosting! Guests are so creative and kind when they fill it out. There is a little space for them to draw a picture that represents their experience, and I love how clever everyone is!  I just purchased my second one as the first one is filled. On Amazon it is listed as the “To Travel is to Live guest book,” and it comes in a variety of colors. 

Lidia23
Level 3
Brescia, Italy

abbiamo un libro degli ospiti in ognuno dei nostri appartamenti! Gli ospiti scrivono sempre qualcosa di molto bello!  Non abbiamo mai trovato brutte sorprese.  A volte i bambini fanno un disegno o strappano una pagina o utlizzano piu' pagine... ma questo e' vita!!

Lo trovo un tocco personale e molto umano...

we have a guest book in each of our flats! The guests always write something very nice on it! We have never found any bad surprises. Sometimes the children draw a picture or tear off a page or use more pages... but this is life!!!

I find it warm, and it makes hosting even more human...

Francesca
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Lidia23 ,

I agree with you: the more they use the guest book (the way they like) the better! I've just translated your post to English, as given that this is the English Community Center, the majority of the hosts here speak English, and I wanted to make sure that as many people as possible could benefit from your post and experiences. Please note that we have a nice and vibrant Italian community (it's useful when it comes to know local stuff!)... for example: what are your passions? Let me know 🙂

Fra

Hey, hai un dubbio o una domanda?

Pubblicala cliccando >>QUI<< troveremo la risposta insieme.

Dai un’occhiata alla nostra netiquette, le

Linee guida della community

Carol6078
Level 1
Vassar, MI

Katie, Yes I keep a guest book. If my guests allow it I take a photo of them & include it in my guest book.  Returning customers love seeing what they looked like on their previous visit.

Carol B. Frankenmuth, MI

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Ah this is lovely @Carol6078! Are most of your guests keen to have their photo included? 

Everett2
Level 2
Copperhill, TN

I have guest books in ALL 7 of my properties and wouldn't ever remove them.  I put a note in the front of each book asking for a positive journal entry and ask that if they have any complaints to please call me and share them personally.  I have never had a negative thing written in these journals.  In fact, guest comment regularly how much they enjoy reading about the previous guests stay.