Do you let them stay during the day?

Sarah315
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Do you let them stay during the day?

Hello All

Interested in your thoughts or usual practice on this one - I've been doing AirBNB for around 10 months now continuously while not working and at home most of the time, with about 40 bookings completed.  I'll be working again soon and plan to honour the AirBNB bookings I already have.  Some bookings (mainly longer term ones of 5 days or more, say) stay at home during the day - hanging out in the kitchen or their room.  Is this a practice you experience or are happy with, or do you expect people to leave in the morning and return in the evening - as the name suggests?  If it's usual that they leave or you expect this, I'd find your advice and tips on how to be clear about this, yet pleasant (!) really helpful!

Thanks in advance! 

19 Replies 19

I think there's a lot to be said for hosts being able to state openly that there's no access between say 11am and 4 pm for example - it gives hosts time to organise, clean and have some downtime and then have more energy enthusiasm and time for guests outside those hours when guests are in. That's why traditional bnbs always impose hours when guests have to be out of the accommodation - they know they need time for organisation and admin which they can't do  if the house is full of guests during the day. The clue is in the name ' b & b '. Hotels will give you access all day but they charge more and also can make money from guests eating in the hotel restaurant and ordering afternoon tea etc which we hosts can't do. I'm enjoying being a host and like going the extra mile and making it a really good experience for guests with little extra touches like snacks etc but looking at the long  term I think it helps to think that a as a host you won't be completely inundated with the experience but will have some time for your own normal life as well. That way I think hosts are more likely to continue as hosts. As a young family we had many b & b touring holidays in the uk and loved them but we always understood that we had to be out during the day and we didn't see that as a problem or as the host being unreasonable, it was just part of the whole experience. I haven't stipulated any restriction in my listing yet but it is something I may think of doing, or at least just mentioning it in my pre arrival messaging to the guests. Happy hosting everyone and very best.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jane215 hi,

"... it is something I may think of doing, or at least just mentioning it in my pre arrival messaging..."

Mention it clearly in your listing since it's part of your conditions, and so you have something to refer to.

Giving them an extra stipulation only AFTER booking is too late and also isn't fair.

Since you allow IB I'd even go so far as including it in the pre-booking message.

Yes, you're right there Andrea. That occurred to me of course straight after posting ! Thanks for highlighting that for me though.  Very best wishes, Jane.

See Terms and Condition 7.1.7:   (7.1.7 When you accept or have pre-approved a booking request by a Guest, you are entering into a legally binding agreement with the Guest and are required to provide your Host Service(s) to the Guest as described in your Listing when the booking request is made.)

Jeff696
Level 1
Portland, OR

We are asked not to return to the room until that evening because the host had listed the home for sale and was showing the home.  This was not disclosed in the listing.