Do you offer TV streaming services to your guests?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you offer TV streaming services to your guests?

502637_GettyImages-639566174_ForYou.jpg

Hey there,

After a long day exploring the local area, sometimes it’s nice to come back, put your feet up and watch a good film on the TV. Some hosts provide a great selection of films and shows; nowadays there are quite a few different streaming services to offer your guests.

Do you offer any TV streaming services to your guests and, if so, how do you manage this?

There are Stranger Things than streaming services and it's not just for Mad Men... Better the Daredevil you know, eh?

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

32 Replies 32
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Stephanie  I just started to use Roku for online streaming TV programs and movies to provide to guests. I have not started to subscribe any paid channels such as Netflix, Amazon video, YouTube TV etc.

There are quite a few free streaming channels.

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Stephanie I provide Netflix, Stan, Apple TV but only in 1 listing I also provide Foxtel (Sky).

I am someone who barely watches TV but I have my moment when I want to watch a good movie or  catch up with series

Mel131
Level 4
Peterborough, United Kingdom

Yes we offer Netflix and Amazon Prime.  We have the usual channel apps on the TV's as well (BBC Iplayer etc).   We use Amazon Firesticks and Guest profiles on Netflix which seems to work well.  We have all admin locked down with passwords though as a security precaution so guests can't access our details or anything.

So this may not be something you can explain on here, but how do you “lock admin down?” We wanted to get rid of our satellite tv and just use YouTube tv, but I don’t know if guests would then be able to buy programming on our account.  Haven’t had any trouble with Netflix etc

wonderful info, Mel!  thank you so much for your input!  we are officially cutting the cord in our new places going forward and if it works well (we are in a very remote part of NC, just north of the beginning of the Appalachian Trail) so internet dependability used to be a HUGE concern, but has come a long way to allow us to explore the option which we've had in our homes for a while, but it has been far from smooth!  most of the kinks have been smoothed out & thanks to wonderful people like you and others willing to share their experiences, it is sure to be a success.  🙂 

THANK YOU!  

What are the steps to lock admin down?

Shauna28
Level 3
Washington, DC

My guest room has a Roku device with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Showtime, and other some other cable and local channels (ESPN, CNN, PBS, etc). One guest signed into their Hulu account. I haven't logged out of it and have been watching myself: is that wrong lol?  Broadcast tv is not available, but I haven't had complaints.

I know it is tempting to stay logged into a guests streaming service to watch stuff that you don't otherwise have access to.  Here is the ethical problem with it.  Of course that guest is still using there own account, so every time they log in they probably see a history of things it's telling them they have watched.  ALSO, you are screwing up their algorithm of their personal Hulu recommendations.  It becomes a part of YOUR tastes that are showing up for them...classy.  

So yes, it is wrong.  If you allow people to log into their own streaming service accounts at all, then a part of your cleaning/reset between guests should include checking the tv for that and logging people out and resetting it to you guest account. Voila

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Portia6,

Roku offers guest mode which can be set for a specific period of time.  So, the guest's account settings are automatically removed when they check-in even if they forget to logoff: https://support.roku.com/article/360015612834.

OH MY GOD! That's Awesome!  Then never mind.  haha.  Such a good idea.  Now maybe I can finally sell my husband on getting Roku.  Thx Debra

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Portia6,

I meant to say that the guest's account settings are automatically removed at checkout, not check-in, if you set the scheduled end to coincide with the checkout date.

Haha I think if the guest doesn't sign themselves out- it is up to you if you sign them out or not ;-). I wonder if they think housekeeping takes care of that hmmm. I'm deciding if I want to get rid of Apple TV. I watched Ted Lasso and Severence and Loot and a couple more but haven' t watched it since July.  Any recommendations for anything great on there? For $10/month do I just keep it for my guests? 

Side question- maybe I should make a post but will ask here: has anyone surveyed past guests? At my job we survey about all the services we provide and I'm tempted to do a survey to find out what people think about the location, amenities, check in and check out, any other suggestions they have, etc.  I'm sure I won't have 100% response rate but even if I get 5-10 responses it will be more information than I have now.  

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Libby138,

I've never thought about giving a survey, and if I would make one, I'd only ask questions about the things that I can or want to change.  For example, I wouldn't ask a guest to rate the location or check-in/checkout procedure because I can't move.  

Sophia
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Libby138, hope you're well 😊 these are great questions! This thread is pretty old so it may be tricky getting your message seen by others.

To gain more visibility I'd highly recommend creating separate posts asking these. Feel free to start a conversation here ✍🏼 I’m sure fellow hosts have plenty of advice to share! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines