Do you provide board games for your guests?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you provide board games for your guests?

Games.jpg

Hey there everyone,

I was chatting with a host recently that suggested the tip of leaving board games in her guest rooms for them to enjoy in their downtime. A deck of cards opens up endless possibilities of games but minimising family disputes calls for the avoidance of Monopoly, for sure!

Do you provide board games for your guests to indulge in? What are your top picks?

Thanks!

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

146 Replies 146
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Stephanie, hi, no I don't but what a good idea! I think I'll pop a deck of cards and my backgammon set in the guest room. Thanks for the suggestion!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Kath9 you're most welcome! Do let us know how the guests enjoy them 🙂

-----

We welcome families at our "entire place" three bedroom house.   So we offer a variety of indoor and outdoor games, with something appropriate for all ages.

Not all guests have the time to play games, but those that do have really enjoyed them!

Big hitsinclude jigsaw puzzles, yahtzee, chess, checkers, dominos, and cards.

Board games include scrabble, clue, monopoly, and cat-in-the-hat.

The trouble with a deck of cards is that you have to count them between every set of guests because having an incomplete deck reflects badly on us as hosts.

For board games, I don't leave them in the house, but wait to get to know the family a bit, then offer a selected one that should amuse them, and can even help them to learn the rules by playing with them a few times. But because lost playing pieces can be impossible to replace, and again reflect badly on us as hosts, I only offer board games to those families who appear to be careful and respectful of other things around the property. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Stephanie 

I provide a giant Jenga in the garden for the warmer months. Backgammon, Cludeo, scrabble, rumicup, packs of cards, four in a row, a box of pencils and adult colouring books.

Not everyone uses them, but guests who do love them.

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Stephanie   I have a small sitting area in the guests part of the house, in it are a few books in English and Portuguese as well as some games. Like most hosts here I deal with an international group of guests so games need to be workable in whatever language. I have chess, checkers, dominos, Clue, and several decks of cards. Checkers and dominos seem to be the favorites. I'm thinking to set up a puzzle table and see how that goes. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Beth80 playing Scrabble is a great way of learning new foreign words...it's interesting when one uses a Dictionary what words come out on the board. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Stephanie @Beth80 @Helen3 @Kath9 

In amongst CC there's a few topics on boardgames, well worth maybe linking them together @Stephanie , fabulous photographs to from memory.

I personally have Scrabble available however none of my Guests or I have had time for a game of it, yet!

Watch out when we do.

Thanks

@ Helen427 I would absolutely be up for a game of Scrabble with you, if I ever find my way to New Zealand. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Helen427 - perhapes they're frightened you'll thrash them!

@Diane440  - I think it's time we all got on Words with Friends!

-----

@Stephanie0 I love Words with Friends. I miss playing with a few friends who stopped playing when we all got rather busy. 

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

Hi @Stephanie ,

We have a really good op shop ( charity shop) in an area near my listing. They sell their donated board games for $4 each. Many have not been opened.  We have a games cupboard underneath the TV with monopoly, scrabble, Yahtzi, Hungry Hippos, Trivial Pursuit, Marble Run,  pick up sticks, assorted card games, coluring books, and a large bead maze for toddlers. Also a box of children's toys, ( train set, dominoes etc) and picture books for a range of ages in a box that we put out when we get a family.  And a high quality outdoor quality ping pong table.   The ping pong table gets a good workout, but don't think the others get used all that much.  We do have an eski table on the upper deck which has proved to be enormously popular - gives you an idea of what most people are choosing to do with their time at our place! 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

You've got every one apart from Mouse Trap in your impressive repetoire @Rowena29 !

-----

Yes @Stephanie 

I'ts not a bad collection especially considering I paid next to nothing for most of them.  I love op shopping and this is also a great way of supporting the disabled in the area I host in (albiet in a very minor way). One of my previous guests who stayed with her young daughter for nearly a week felt she owed me a favour (long story) decided to re organise my  games cupboard so that it was more functional AND aesthetically pleasing.  It now looks really great but is not much utilised - I have 4 tradesmen staying at the moment so I can't see them getting into Hungry Hippos! Regardless of the guest, the eski table on the upper deck is still the biggest hit by far.....