Do you provide board games for your guests?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you provide board games for your guests?

Games.jpg

Hey there everyone,

I was chatting with a host recently that suggested the tip of leaving board games in her guest rooms for them to enjoy in their downtime. A deck of cards opens up endless possibilities of games but minimising family disputes calls for the avoidance of Monopoly, for sure!

Do you provide board games for your guests to indulge in? What are your top picks?

Thanks!

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

146 Replies 146
Angus-and-David0
Level 4
Queensland, Australia

Hi

I provide a host (excuse the pun) of games. We are a proerty that is rural and people generally come here to relax and not spend the time tearing about. I have chess, backgammon, jigsaw (a huge favorite) card games, Uno, puzzle books etc. I also have a stock of DVD's for guests to use.

Good luck!

Merlyn5
Level 4
Montesano, WA

Since I do not offer TV nor do I have Wi-fi, board games are a must!  Chess, checkers backgamon etc plus binnoculars, yoga mat, books, magazines, & a record player too. Unplug and have fun! 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Stephanie. Along with books and DVDs, I have a variety stashed in the entertainment unit. Varying card games work well with families.

Anne-And-Brad0
Level 3
Poultney, VT

I just took a picture of our bookcase. We have a deck of cards, Backgammon, Trivial Pursuit, and Monopoly. We also provide our iPod with 1,947 songs on it, as we do not have reliable Wifi in our little apartment. We have a lot of books about Vermont that we picked up at an estate sale that our guests love. Lastly, we have a game of Jacks because I loved playing it as a kid!

I love a good game. I leave a shelf full for my guests - I try and have things that will suit all ages. A deck of cards, dominoes, chess, draughts, and ludo are staples, but I add in a few silly games too such as Kaplunk (a great game where you take it in turns to pull sticks from the tower without letting all of the marbles drop), oh I have Jenga and Pictionary too!

I also have a few large garden games - a giant connect4 and a giant Jenga (can you tell I love Jenga)?!

I like adding a few special touches to make my guests feel at home. I have books, jigsaws, and a craft box too - if the weather is poor or guests fancy a relaxed day in I think it's nice to have things to hand they will appreciate. 

One of my properties is in a really family friendly area and close to some good attractions - so I'm making that place as kid friendly as possible. I've included toddler toys and playmats etc there plus useful equipment e.g. highchair, cot, stairgates etc. I don't have kids so I asked about to see what parents might like to see for their little one's - I found this useful too if anyone is interested:

https://www.airgms.com/airbnb-for-kids/

Anyway have fun and happy hosting! 

Kristi5
Level 9
Washington, United States

Absolutely.

I have chess, checkers, Battleship, Scrabble, Jengo, several decks of cards (including Uno), colouring books and crayons, as well as books on the area and several "older" types (Nancy Drew, Dick and Jane) for people to read. 

I've never had a theft and I've even had some leave books as part of my library. 

I almost want to rent from myself, so I can relax and play games all night. 🙂

I provide them and wasn't sure they would be used. But since then I've gotten a lot of reviews where people commented about how much they loved them. I have a range of them, and then began to add to the stack from games I found at Estate sales. I worried about using family games because of the likelyhood of missing pieces (have found jigsaw pieces under the dining room table when cleaning once).

It's worth while. Recently a family came in for an event that was cancelled the first night due to a huge storm. So they hung out at the apartment and watched movies and played games.

Since we use our space for family, we just keep a closet of items that are just for our use and separate games that are for guest use in a cabinet that is marked for them.

It's worth it, IMHO, to have them on a shelf just in case. It's an amenity that seems to pay dividends in terms of people thinking the space is well-equipped.

Clare219
Level 2
Gisborne, New Zealand

What a great idea! I've got some travel mags, the AirNZ in-flight magazine is a good one as it looks at different regions and has lots of places to eat, and things to do. I didn't think of putting games in our studio, but now I will! Jan and Clare.

Lauren664
Level 1
Elizabethtown, PA

Thanks for the great tips

My listing is single occupancy so no boardgames 🙂 We have great high-speed wifi and a collection of paperbacks. Also a park right next door and shopping center (w/ a multiplex theater) less than a 15 min walk away.....so there is no shortage of things guests can do to keep themselves occupied. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great WIFI? @Jessica-and-Henry0 you should provide them with World of Warcraft! 😉

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Maybe guests might want to play solitaire? Joking!

Susan478
Level 2
Morris, NY

Yes. I provide Jenga and a few different card games. Another acquisition I got for free from an estate sale was an autoharp. I replaced the broken strings and had it tuned. It didn’t cost me anything so I don’t mind if kids play it. But the biggest draw is a world atlas book. I posted a note saying, “Where is your home?” I leave sticky note paper and a pen and guests love identifying their hometown and dates they stayed here. It’s fun to flip through the pages and see how diverse the travelers are. After four years of hosting, every continent except Antarctica is represented. Someone even came from Tibet!!

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I have to give a shout out for the card game Sets, it isn't language based, it's competitive for a range of ages- a sharp 5 year old can find a set under the noses of her elders, it can be played with any number of folk from solo on  to a larger group, a person can stop by the game in progress, find a set and move on & it ends when you decide it does, marvelous for holidays when someone has cooking etc duties but wants to join in the fun from time to time..

We have a Sets deck for our guests & one for us ( my youngest took it with her to Japan & it better come back!)  We also have Star Wars Monopoly, backgammon, cards & Sorry. I love all the mentions of Charity & Thrift stores, if I won the lottery I'd go on the ultimate thrifting safari! Sally

Martha168
Level 2
Houston, TX

I have loads of board games, card games, Jenga and the like. Most travelers in my area stay busy with the beach and tourist activities, but often enjoy playing a game at the end of the evening. Or, with many rainy days in our climate, it can help out if you find yourself unexpectedly "home bound".

When I was hosting a private room in my home, I found using a game or other activitiy and excellent ice breaker too.