Do you remember the first time you received Superhost status?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you remember the first time you received Superhost status?

474926_GettyImages-530067865ForYou.jpg

Hey there everyone,

Everybody experiences differnet milestones in life and the majority are postive so we enjoy reflecting on them.

The life of an Airbnb host is no exception! Hosts enjoy getting their listings up and running, receiving their first booking, and welcoming their first guests. Then comes the day when we might receive the shining red, white and gold badge of a Superhost. *cue for applause*

Do you remember the day when you first became a Superhost? How did you celebrate it?

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

14 Replies 14

I believe I was notified by email. Ho hum. You might take a page out of the Tripadvisor book and send us a certificate that we can hang in our rentals. Guests comment on mine all the time and I would gladly be advertising Airbnb by hanging YOUR certificate on the wall. I remember that I liked the graphics on the email and thought it would make a better looking certificate . How about it?

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

I remember it very well, I sent screenshots of the badge to everyone. I didn't know that there was even evaluation and actually when I posted some response on this forum I noticed the badge on my photo and got so excited. But instead of increased booking, we've never had so few since I became Superhost so it was a bit disappointing. We get just enough bookings on Airbnb to maintain the status. But even though it doesn't do much in terms of increased bookings and I say that it wouldn't matter if I lost it, deep down I do care a bit since I work so hard for my guests to be pleased 🙂 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Sept 2014, @Stephanie . I just looked it up on Twitter. I celebrated by tweeting.

The Hilton-loving relatives were unimpressed, so I read all the replies from STR experts offering me their services and pretended they were real congratulations. 😉

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Stephanie @Donna240 @Ana1136 @Lawrene0 

I've not arrived at that destination yet, they tripped me up changing the Rating system so I feel like I'm travelling via the cape - I keep getting 4 Stars overall whereas before I was getting regular 5 stars & 5's for everthing else!

Well done to those of you who are Superhosts your contributions here in CC are appreciated to those of who are not there yet I've learnt much from you all.

All The Best

Central To All Home & Location 

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

I personally had mixed fellings - glad and anxious.

Because I thought it would not be long lasting because of how weird the Airbnb review system works.

So far I'm happy every time I qualify for the badge, a good reason to open a bottle of good wine to celebrate it ;-D

And keep up the hard work.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Stephanie I remember it well!

I got Superhost a couple of months after starting hosting, I remember checking the dashboard every day during the assessment period I was so keen to get it- when I did I was overjoyed ahah

I now I have it, and have maintained it since I realise it hasn't really made a huge difference to my bookings! I always ask my guests how they came to book my listing- and there were only 2 guests who used the superhost filter and found me and booked because I was a Superhost.

The real advantage the status brings me is it's a good thing to have for my co-hosting business- and I think this is where the value of Superhost status lies...between hosts!! Ask the average guest if they have heard of Superhost and the answer would usually be "no"

Honestly I think the status is a real stress-point for hosts, and leads to burn-out, hosts dropping off the platform and not enjoying hosting. Easy to get and hard to maintain.

Paul 🙂

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Paul1255  that's a very interesting perspective re: cohosting. 

I had not thought about the negative conitations for the Super host status but then I think it's the same as being the A+ student at school. The expectation to maintain must be tough! 

Do you have any suggestions for ways we can make it more sustainable for Super hosts to hold onto the badge?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie 

What about first make some important changes to the review system...

Like give the host possibility to remove false/or retaliatory reviews. Not only talk about it.

And seriously does it have to be overall rating 4.8, why?

One of the worlds best hotels RITZ in Paris has only a overall rating of 4.5

according to theTripAdvisor.

Fiona243
Level 10
Birkenhead, United Kingdom

@Stephanie0

"How can Superhosts hold onto their badges?" This topic is covered in dozens, maybe hundreds, of threads on this forum.A good start would be to search for topics containing "bad review", "retaliatory review", etc.

But to summarise:

1) Change the review system so that guests are told the TRUE meaning of 5* and 4*. 

5* means "this listing is as advertised and we had a pleasant stay".

4* means "downgrade this host from Superhost status" and have Airbnb send the hosts threatening emails to stress them out.

Guests who were happy with their stay will then understand the TRUE impact of 4*, and will hopefully award 5* unless they were genuinely unhappy with the stay.

2) Enable hosts to remove retaliatory reviews from guests who were

a) annoyed because we called them out on breaking house rules (e.g. smoking indoors, bringing additional guests without paying for them etc.),

&/or

b) wanting to use facilities that were expressly listed as Not Available (e.g. my washing machine, microwave, etc. when they have rented a bedroom only),

& / or

c) very hard to please, constantly asking for things (such as Wifi password which is clearly shown in framed advice prominently displayed on top of desk!), more toilet paper (1 person using 4 rolls in 4 days), asking directions over and over, etc, etc. treating host like personal butler / concierge

and / or

d) the type of person who "never give 5* as there's always room for improvement".

All of the above types of guest give 4 stars in circumstances that are beyond the host's control, yet hosts are penalised and have no recourse.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Paul1255  @Ana1136 @Stephanie 

Paul,

Your post is most illuminating.

Only 2 Guests have booked with you using SH filter.-- In view of your 79 Reviews that's a touch over 2.5%

No wonder, and rather well explains, why it 'hasn't really made a huge difference to my bookings'. 

Further compare with Ana's comment: 'instead of increased booking, we've never had so few since I became Superhost'.

So what's the point of this award?

As you say, 'The real advantage the status brings me is it's a good thing to have for my co-hosting business'.

In summary, though never yet an SH myself, but with over 400 bookings & over 300 Reviews, It reflects my experience that the vast majority of my Guests don't have a clue about the existence let alone signficiance of SH. 

That day was a Friday of July, something extraordinary happened. At 2:00 AM Brian Cesky appeared to me on the ceiling of my bedroom. He spoke loudly. And in fact, he woke me up.

“Peace be with you, Emily!”  he said, “AIRBNB is with you, and has greatly blessed you!”.

I was deeply troubled by Brian Cesky’s message, and I wondered what his words meant. Brian Cesky said to me: “Don’t be afraid, Emily, for AIRBNB has been gracious to you. You will be a Superhost and get a lot of reservations. A badge will come on you, AIRBNB’s power will rest upon you”.

“I am the AIRBNB’s servant,” I said, “may it happen to me as you have said”.

I got up from the bed. I turned on the light and opened wide the windows to let Brian Cesky fly out, just like you do with moths on summer nights. I also had to give him a severe beating with the broomstick, he wouldn’t leave.

@Emily352 ROTFLMAO!!!Thank you for the humor and perspective; you just made my morning.  You've just won one free night and 3 free museum entrances at my place. Since your photo is blocked, you're obviously a guest <]:O)

😆🙏💖.You made my morning @Emily352  👍

Lol