Do you shop locally?

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you shop locally?

Liv_0-1589810045481.jpeg

Hey everyone,

Thinking about lockdown affecting us all in different ways, I’ve noticed a trend of people realising that shopping locally is now more important than ever. 

I’ve been seeing several amazing initiatives around the world aiming to support small businesses, from online guided haircuts to bar and restaurant vouchers (to be used when shops are reopened).

With this in mind, I would love to know: 

How is your local community coming together to assist small-scale businesses and have you got any favourite local shops that you’ve been supporting lately?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts,

Liv

52 Replies 52
Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Yuan100, thanks for contributing!

It's great to hear from a small business owner's perspective and it's lovely that your friends are being supportive of you 🙂

Did you always sell homemade cakes or is it something you started doing during lockdown?

Hi @Liv ,

It's something I started doing since I am not able to do nails (one of my professions)  for the past months now and it's going to go on for an unknown period of time.

Anyway, I love to feed people so it's great! I started to learn to make sourdough bread now and I am enjoying it so far.

Yuan

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Yuan100 That's one of the benefits of having many talents 🙂

Amazing to know you're finding creative ways to make it through these difficult times. I hope your friends are enjoying the cakes!

Have a lovely weekend.

Liv

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@LivI think I'm very lucky to live in a small town in a region that produces a lot of wine, as well as tender fruits and other produce. I've always focused on shopping local, but I've doubled down on that during this pandemic. I won't go to larger stores like Costco that have lines and are crammed with people. I used to go to Costco every few weeks, but I'm not going again until they either get better at managing the customers or there's some other improvement. If there are things I need from there, I order online. The vast majority of my grocery budget, though, is spent at the small local grocery store here. I also order bread from the organic bakery a few doors away from my house and stop at the roadside fruit and vegetable stands. I've always supported the local wineries, so no change there.

I also try and support local, independent restaurants, and I'm ordering a takeaway meal at least one day per week. I try and focus on the restaurants that are giving back to the community as well: for instance, the one that's a few doors away from me donates meals and leftover ingredients to the food bank and has made substantial cash donations to them previously when times were better. I try and support businesses that are supporting the community. 

I try and buy hard goods locally, but all the stores are part of a big chain anyways, so I feel like that makes less of a difference. I have ordered some stuff from Canadian Tire or Amazon if it's not available from a local shop. 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Alexandra316, thanks for sharing! I love your idea of paying back small businesses that have supported the community in the past. Hopefully you doing your part so beautifully will inspire others to also pay it forward in their own way 🙂

@Liv @Lizzie @Sarah977 @Melodie-And-John0  @Sally221 @Ann489 @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Yadira22 @Alexandra316 @Yuan100 @David6824 

Here's a photo of my favorite local bakery cafe that I took last time I was there~

KakaoTalk_20200521_232636293_01.jpg

And my breakfast the next morning~~

KakaoTalk_20200521_232636293_02.jpg

Fyi~ I don't usually go around taking photos of everything I do. I don't even have an Instagram or Twitter account.... but with covid-19 and needing to physically keep my distance from my parents, I call and chat with them almost daily and I've been keeping them updated about my day with photos.

Like most Korean moms...... my mom *always* worries about whether I'm eating decent, healthy meals~ and likes to see proof that I'm not living off instant ramyeon noodles and chips. Lol~ 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 

Like most Korean moms...... my mom *always* worries about whether I'm eating decent, healthy meals~ and likes to see proof that I'm not living off instant ramyeon noodles and chips. Lol~ 

I'll bet she's 'over the moon' you're feasting on Chocolate Rolls and Coffee 🙂 !

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Yadira22 

I very strongly emphasized that it was an organic chocolate roll :-)) 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 

😂😂

Your mum sounds like a gem @Jessica-and-Henry0 

Looks 'lush'  (as we say in Bristol)  @Jessica-and-Henry0 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's so sweet about your mom, @Jessica-and-Henry0! My mom and I live in different continents and she still worries when she sees I'm online past "bedtime" 😂❤️

And I must say, seeing that photo makes me want to visit South Korea even more. 

@Liv 

Anytime you decide to come, give us a holler~

S.Korea is foodie heaven :-)) 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jessica-and-Henry0   You can send your mom this : https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/7-health-benefits-dark-chocolate   Next thing you know, she'll be checking up to make sure you had your chocolate fix for the day 🙂

@Sarah977 

I got my love of all things chocolate from my mom (who doesn't drink coffee), and preference for strong black coffee from my dad (who loves heapings of  jams, jellies or maple syrup but not a fan of chocolate)  :-)))

Not sure if it's nurture or nature but whatever..... technically it's all on them~~~ Lol~~