Do you stay lying on the couch when your guest return for the evening?

Betty124
Level 5
Westminster, CO

Do you stay lying on the couch when your guest return for the evening?

I LIKE to lie on my couch. But I don't feel like I should.  Am I being silly?  Should I discuss  this with the the guests? 

Thank you for your input!

Betty

9 Replies 9
Betty124
Level 5
Westminster, CO

I should  clarify a bit...  

My listing is in the basement of my home,  and does not have its own own entrance.  The guests  park in my garage and enter my house through the garage, then walk through  the den,  then around the corner, then down their stairs.

My listing is number 23148827.

So , if I am in the den watching tv, I may be lying on the couch.   

Is this an issue?

I apologize for the grammar mistakes 😉  I was distracted.

Thank you!

Betty

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

I wouldn't worry about it - it is your home, not a hotel. I recline on my couch all the time, although guests don't have to walk through the lounge to get to their room. I think it's fine if you just politely greet them and ask how their evening was. No need to get up - you're not a concierge!

Thanks for your input , Kath! 

And I have started to loosen up a bit about lying on the couch when the guests either enter or exit the house.   But I do speak to them about their  plans for the day, or ask if they need anything, etc.

One terribly  EMBARASSING   event backfired , though!  

Two college guys staying here  told me that they were headed to Garden of the Gods for the day ... a 90 minute drive.  Well,   I was  home cleaning, and by 11 am,  it was already 95 degrees outside.    I had my A/C on,  and a fan,  but I was still sweating!  I  rested on the couch in front of the fan, and took my CLOTHES  off.   

In they walked!

They instantly said, "Sorry!",  and  shut the door quickly.  I threw my clothes on, saying I was hot!,   and it  wasn't mentioned again.

@Betty124 you should have told them "you pay extra for that."

HA!   

Thanks for that, Lisa!

@Betty124

I think it's okay 🙂 I like to work on my laptop at the kitchen table or watch tv sprawled on the sofa on weekends especially. I usually stay put but do give a quick wave with a "Hey~ how are you~ did you have a nice day~" Sometimes guests are in the mood to chat and they will sit and talk a while before heading back to their room, sometimes they wave back and go straight to their room. I try to keep things casual and they all know I live here and it's my home so I guess it would depend on how you set expectations. I think the most awkward thing would be for the hosts and guests to sort of "ignore" and not exchange greetings.

Thanks, Jessica!

That seems like the most sensible solution.  

I don't stay while someone is in the apartment but I try to be respectful if I'm at someone else's space.

The lying on the couch is a bit "intimate/casual" for me and would make me feel as if I was intruding on someone's private space. It wouldn't make me feel welcom.

When I have guests at my own home I don't lie on the couch for that reason (I only do it when family is visiting). It also makes the couch open for them to sit and talk.

So really - it's all about personal preference. Depends on the guests.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Betty124  I figure that guests know they are booking a shared home and I don't change my habits much just because I have a guest. That said, I'd play it by ear- most of my guests are really casual, laid-back people and with them I wouldn't give lying on my couch a second thought- especially since the living room is not part of my shared space, although it is fully visible from the kitchen which guests have use of. But for the few more formal guests I've had, or those who don't seem so socially easygoing, I'd probably not, just so as to not make them feel as if they were somehow intruding. And I have my early warning system-my dog who barks when someone approaches the gate- so at least I won't get caught out in a state of undress 🙂