Do you upsell any extra services?

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you upsell any extra services?

Liv_0-1633966644601.jpeg

Hey everyone, 

A few Hosts have been experimenting with selling extra amenities and services to guests - apart from the stay itself. This got me thinking and I’m curious to know if any of you have ever tried or thought about doing something similar.

It could be an optional meal that you cook yourself, a ride to the airport that you charge for separately or perhaps some paintings made by a local artist.

Either way, I’d love to learn more about extras you might offer guests. Do you upsell anything in your listing? How do you advertise it to guests?

Thanks,

Liv

153 Replies 153

@Martie22  Most of the vacation rentals in my touristy town have brochures and business cards in the house manual binder in the house, for restaurants, golf cart rentals, and local services. So there are hairdressers, massage therapists, private chefs, all manner of things in there that the guest can take advantage of and arrange on their own. You could make an arrangement with various services to give you a kickback for sending business their way. That way you are only dealing with the service provider, rather than pushing the sale of something on guests. They wouldn't even know you are making a bit of money on it.

I would love to provide some add-on services for guests who wanted them, but only if Airbnb would make it simple (and low pressure) for all by providing customizable fee options that guests could choose upon booking.  

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

In Curacao, I help guests find the right dive instructor, boat tour, car rental company, guide, restaurants and other outings. These services are free of charge.
I offer cleaning and linen change for a fee.
Through my manager I also offer to do the first shopping. Useful when guests arrive late by plane.
Anyway, there is cold beer, soft drinks and water in the fridge. That's free, along with fruit, spices, oil, coffee, tea, etc.

In the Netherlands I offer paid cab service to/from Schiphol and bike rental. Once I took care of breakfast, I don't do that anymore; way too much work. Train pickup here in the village is free.
For a fee (according to the Nibud calculation) guests can use the washing machine and dryer.
I also bought a large bunch of roses for a wedding.
An initial supply of coffee, tea, sugar, salt, spices, oil etc is provided free of charge.
I offer free early check-in and late check-out if schedule allows.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Jennifer2682 

Great suggestion Jennifer.

Could you just display your menu in the photo area? 

Scott28
Level 2
Soldotna, AK

I am thinking about adding Pet Sitter to my listing on a trial basis..Currently am a new host allowing Pets!   Looking for feedback about Pets doing damage to Host site...ie House, furniture, and lawn or landscaping...I have a fenced yard with user friendly dog door and love dogs...User Friendly pooper scoopers for Guests to pick up family treasure from the fenced yard.

Ognjen16
Level 2
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

I always trying to give my guests something as personal touch so every guest I had, I gifted with something for remembering his or her vacation. 

Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

I have chickens and ducks, and leave a dozen eggs in the frig. I have had guests who liked the duck eggs so much that they bought additional to eat while they stayed with us, and some more to take home with them. I sell my eggs to everyone in my neighborhood, so if guests want more eggs they are glad to pay.

Ted & Chris
Sally-and-Gary0
Level 2
Esperance, Australia

I own a gallery selling my own and my partners photography works, as well as other local art works and giftware items.  I make mention of it in my house manual with other things to do and see in my town.  I offer a 10% discount on purchases if they choose to come and visit.  

Nils170
Level 2
Ølstykke, Denmark

My AirBnB apartment has a washing machine and an EV charger. Both are extras, and apart from the first laundry load I find it reasonable to charge extra for the use of both. My guests generally stay for only a few days so it has not been an issue. For longer stays we have agreed on laundry use. Absolutely no pressure. Bikes are available for free. 

Annie1352
Level 2
Creston, Canada

Our guests have the use of the laundry room for free and also get a continental breakfast free of charge.  

Sharon733
Level 2
Barnstable, MA

I'm thinking of offering a breakfast or dinner option and a picnic lunch to take to the beach. Also, I am looking into offering Airbnb experience.  I used to buy and offer muffins, bananas, fruit, juice and milk to find not everyone the food. You cannot predict likes and dislikes.  I would have to eat the leftovers or throw them out if the guests did not eat them.  It was costly for me. Also, when the pandemic started, I stopped it altogether.  

I'm thinking if I can offer a hot breakfast maybe that would be a better option.  Possibly offer chicken or a steak option with potatoes and a veg for guests to cook on my grill.  Guests have a microwave in their suite so they can cook the potato and heat veggies, or they can choose to heat/cook on grill!  I also was thinking of putting out a beautiful cabana adorned with flowers all around so they can have a romantic dinner.  I'll even pick up some wine for them to have!

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Wow! @Sharon733

Thats very generous but a lot of work. However a menu photographed in your profile might allow guests to think in advance about ordering perhaps?

I am very new to Airbnb hosting. We have a nice place that is getting good results.

i have been think about offering “cleaning services during stay” and “grocery pickup” for them. I am not going to do a grocery list, I was just planning on connecting them with my two main stores that have curbside pickup and then just notifying me when the pickup is ready, then I would just place them in the listing, cold stuff in the fridge, stll in the bag not un bagging it so that they can still check their order. I want to just charge a delivery fee like $45 or something.

this is a fork in the road for me? On the one hand I would pay for the convenience and love not have to immediately go do a grocery run, but on the other hand, “extra charges for a little bit of this and that” reminds me of the innkeeper in Les Miserables! 
please give me some of your opinions and your experiences either good or bad.

thanks

Hi everyone !!! 

I have read all your messages carefully... And here's my point of view :

I have been a host myself for years in France, and recently on Airbnb.

I have always offered extra services because I find it a great way to add value to my rental, a great way to increase my income, and also to offer a unique experience.

Some people agree, some don't...

In any case, it's quite difficult to offer them to your guests in a fluid way !

Good day everyone

Justin

** [Advertisement removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise on the Community Center.

Liz4540
Level 2
Rogers, AR

Does anyone know if there is a place where we can offer provisioning?

Sometimes I get guests arriving late, and/or have meetings immediately.  I'm wondering if offering to pick up a few (specifically requested) groceries for them would be helpful, and worthwhile.

I'd like to be guaranteed payment for the service, so asking for payment when they arrive, seems like a big chance to be taking.

Thanks,