Do you want Airbnb to differentiate home sharers from multi-unit property owners?

Susie0
Level 10
Oakland, CA

Do you want Airbnb to differentiate home sharers from multi-unit property owners?

The article in Bloomberg about the multi-unit renters making hundreds of thousands of dollars on Airbnb made me think it might be nice for guests to be able to select "home sharers who live on-site" as a search option. This would highlight listings that reflect the essence of Airbnb vs. pure vacation rentals. 

What do you all think? 🙂 

Happy holidays in advance!

5 Replies 5
Queenie0
Level 10
United States

I think it would be near impossible to classify all the types of Airbnb listings. There are hosts, like me, who reside on premises and rent rooms in my home. Many others have separate apartments or whole homes for rent. Some have multiple apartments and multiple homes for rent. In the end, supply and demand will determine who stays on Airbnb. In the meanwhile, I don't think there is any need to make more classifications of ownership. 

Why does it matter? I've only got one AirBNB right now, but I hope to add another within the next year. I don't see why having more than one is a negative!?

Hi there,

Didn't mean to imply it was a negative. I did mean to imply "home sharing" and "vacation rentals" are different models for staying and for renting. I had that thought since, so far, Airbnb has been a home-sharing platform.

Sounds like so far that's not a concern for hosts, which is awesome.

Short-Term-Stays0
Level 3
Toronto, Canada

I have 13 listings on Airbnb and I think the classification for entire place is enough for the guests that want utltimate privacy.  There are a lot of other revenue opportunities for those airbnb hosts that list their entire home.  I spend my time these days helping hosts realize these opportunities.  Check my Airbnb profile or www.ststays.com for more info on how to get more bookings if you rent out your entire place.

Judy2
Level 2
North Hobart, Australia

There is already a search criteria for whole house, or shared house but it doesnt show if the host is actually in the shared house. In addition to home-sharers who live on site you'd need to add an in-between, maybe "entire private house with host nearby" I mention being nearby in the description of the property and in my profile.  So in essence I could tick either home-sharer or not and both would essentially be correct,  as I live in an  old church (not shared) but have the quite separate Sunday School building on airbnb, i.e guests still have privacy - so its not just a matter of a push for differentiating home sharers from multi-unit property owners you'd need more choice, eg  I am a non-sharer yet  across the courtyard if needed.  A lot of listings are similar, not really home-share eg "granny flats" in the garden or separate buildings but near the host....Cheers, Judy, The Sunday School, North Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.