Do your guests ever ask you to plan their trip prior to booking?

Answered!
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Do your guests ever ask you to plan their trip prior to booking?

I have rarely if ever gotten questions from guests asking to plan their trip even after a booking has been made. Chicago is huge and relying on the host to plan a trip is simply silly. There’s so many online platforms designed for that.

Recently I’ve had several inquiries in a row with guests asked me to help them plan their trips prior to booking. Every time I have told them that I would  be happy to help once the reservation is made. None of them ended up booking.

Should I be putting more effort into this?

1 Best Answer
Normen0
Level 10
Canada

As someone pointed out, guests have access to your Guidebook although few know that it is there. I have a copy printed in my “Guest Guidebook” binder which also includes pamphlets and trail maps for visitor information, as well history articles from our  local newspaper. It also include guides to all things related to the apartment, heat, air conditioning, garbage, hot tub, wifi etc...

If someone asks me what to do in my city I send them a link to my Guidebook in Airbnb so it’s easy to find and I highlight three things that I think they may really like.   If they don’t choose to stay with us, I’m not offended.  I know we are one of the highest priced places in our area so money maybe it’s a factor and we are on their wish list but not attainable. I still enjoy being an ambassador for our City and AIRBNB. I’m sure it pays off in some ways. Having said that, I’m sure some of you in big cities have too many requests to be spending your time giving our free advice.  

View Best Answer in original post

45 Replies 45

@Sarah977 yes, I think that's likely.

@Sarah977  Unlike @Lisa723, I'm not getting any more than usual.  But I would venture to suggest there's a lot more anxiety around planning travel than before, and that comes out in different ways.  I would really love to go away in late summer, but I can't seem to plan a trip with any degree of certainty at all.  If I manage to do it, though, I won't ask the host for tips on what to do!  🙂

@Sarah977  In pre-Corona circumstances, if someone were to ask me what there was to do in Berlin, I'd take it as a sign that their marquee was missing a few bulbs. But at the moment, it has a whole other meaning:  "what are we currently allowed to do in Berlin?" And since the restrictions seem change every week, even locals have lost track of which places can open and which can't. I thought I was up to date on things, but yesterday I was surprised to learn that the zoo has been open all along and completely crowded, even while schools are shut down and outdoor dining is banned. 

I just looked at my Guidebook for the first time since Corona, and it feels like a time capsule. Almost all of the places listed have been closed since November due to lockdown, and several of them have gone out of business permanently. So if I knew someone planning a visit here in this situation, we'd need to have a thorough discussion about what's possible and what isn't.

@Anonymous  That didn't even occur to me, but of course guests would want to know that.

It didn't occur to me because nothing has been closed here except sporatically (and foolishly).

The federal head of the coronavirus response, in answer to why he wouldn't limit tourism into the country, said it wasn't necessary because "sick people don't travel".

I guess he thinks the virus just sprouted wings and flew across the ocean all by itself. You couldn't make this stuff up.

@Sarah977  

I dont see any thing close here too in bali.. only a few dozen of hotels.. and the international airport.. 

Hihihihihi

Jeffrey Bong
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I could see guests these days who just want to get away, wherever, planning their trips in a completely different way, and more spontaneously than they did before. Previously guests had a destination in mind, so would look for flights and accommodation for that location. Now they might just have alerts turned on for cheap flight deals, and go "Hey, honey, we can fly to XX for only $60 next Wednesday. Let's get outta here for a week".

@Sarah977

Many of the guest booked airbnb and get another listing that is cheaper.. own by some own but has no approval by the owner .. 

Jeffrey Bong

@Inna22 

I have a list of travel blog links and tourism related sites. When (confirmed) guests ask a question, I usually send them a few relevant links and tell them they should also do a search to narrow down what they are looking for first. I don't think I've ever had a guest who hasn't booked ask for travel advice. 

Some of our guests were not familiar with public transportation and needed a bit more help than others so instead of trying to explain, Henry would just go with them to buy a "T-card", showed them how to re-charge (top up), walked them to the subway/bus station the first couple times, and even took a few guests to their school orientation. 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Inna22  For that I would just keep it simple. If its walking distance to a lot of places, restaurants, coffee shops, or bars, and suggest downloading the Transit app for getting around. If you have a guest guide mention that and if other guest find it helpful. Usually there is also some website with popular attractions, and to let you know if there are any other questions, or any specific place or activity they are interested in. 

Manasui0
Level 10
Bali, Indonesia

@Inna22 

Just make a several series of photo.. say can give them idea what they want to do and what they can do..

Give information about surrounding, the trasportation, subway, coffee shot, pharmacy, and 7 eleven..

Any thing else ask them to check airbnb experience

Jeffrey Bong

@Manasui0 @John5097 all of that is already in my listing if they bother to read

@Inna22 @In that case I would send exactly what I wrote, and include a smiley face. 🙂

@Inna22 

Yes.. they do that some times... Hehehehehe

Jeffrey Bong
Normen0
Level 10
Canada

As someone pointed out, guests have access to your Guidebook although few know that it is there. I have a copy printed in my “Guest Guidebook” binder which also includes pamphlets and trail maps for visitor information, as well history articles from our  local newspaper. It also include guides to all things related to the apartment, heat, air conditioning, garbage, hot tub, wifi etc...

If someone asks me what to do in my city I send them a link to my Guidebook in Airbnb so it’s easy to find and I highlight three things that I think they may really like.   If they don’t choose to stay with us, I’m not offended.  I know we are one of the highest priced places in our area so money maybe it’s a factor and we are on their wish list but not attainable. I still enjoy being an ambassador for our City and AIRBNB. I’m sure it pays off in some ways. Having said that, I’m sure some of you in big cities have too many requests to be spending your time giving our free advice.  

@Normen0 I tend to see giving local tips and guidance as a normal part of the job, to some extent. And I find giving travel advice much more fun than scrubbing the bathtub and changing the sheets, which are also part of the job. 

That said, an Airbnb is not a hotel with a concierge desk - you expect guests to have a self-sufficient, independent mindset, and this is especially crucial if you're in a neighborhood that demands a bit of street smarts to navigate safely. I don't think I'd entrust my keys to someone who doesn't know how to use Google.