Doctor, can you have your cake delivered and eat it too?

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Doctor, can you have your cake delivered and eat it too?

At 9am from physician guest:

"I am having a cake delivered at 2-3pm but have to be at the hospital until 4p.   Could you receive it for me and put it in the refrigerator?"

Guest clearly missed the message that I'm out of town today,  as well as various parts of my House Rules.  

Still wondering how to reply to this one,  other than in the review.

11 Replies 11

@Kenneth12 ,

--  Sorry, you must change the check-in time of the cake! :))) 

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

@Kenneth12" I'm sorry,  not home because I have other commitments".

These kind of entitled guests needs to be put in place. Airbnb host's are not their butler.

Hi @Susie111 ,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm being a little tongue-in-cheek here because of previous discussion of doctor's behaviors and having to just put up with it or not.

I realize that this person is quite busy and may be under some stress-- in fact I've spent enough time in hospital environments to know quite well.   On the other hand,  I spent the afternoon in a dispute negotiation that I might have to be in Federal Court for on Monday or Tuesday (think we avoided that),  and have my own stresses and responsibilities.

Other than waiting to the review stage,  I've been wondering how to be firmly polite to this guest,  who has consistently been a wee difficult.

We have a few Rules.  One is not to leave dishes to the right of the sink to dry,  as guests commonly use this space.    There are drying racks elsewhere.   It took me a while to determine this guest was the issue.

Another is to leave things where and how you found them.   This is important to us for so many reasons,  including that we do use the space occassionally and we need to know where things are.

Around the laundry in the basement there are a lot of boxes from move-in,  shelving,  and bookcases.  This guest decided to clean a shelf off for himself and piled the books,  which included some 17th-and-18th century legal texts,   which may have cost more than his stay,  elsewhere.   He put them on top of other things with insufficient support-- discovered soon enough,  fortunately,  but they were where they were for a reason,  including protection from mold.

Other small things such as keys and spoons and etc seem to get reorganized for his convenience,  not ours.

He is often a bit non-responsive.   No one wants that guest whose annoying behavior is just a bit too hard to corral,  because you can't get their attention,  do they?

Looking back at his profile,  he has a 4.0 over 3 lukewarmish reviews.   And while I understand the stress and difficulties he must be under every day,   writing a fair review and providing feedback both to him and other hosts,   seems to me important.

4.0 can be a lazy 5.0 from two, and a rather low number from someone else-- anyone pulling out their calculator?

The video showed a rather large mousee cake-- we have a large refrigerator,  but no doubt things were on that shelf,  organized for guests.   One wonders where they are now (I'm on a train 45 minutes out of Chicago's Union Station).

Thus:

1) How do you handle such a guest immediately,  over their stay?
2) What do you put in a review,  and what do the numbers look like?
3) What private comments do you leave for them?

@Kenneth12  He is too much of a hassle of a guest in my opinion, I don't care if he is the most important doctor in the whole USA. I think he has totally misunderstood the concept of airbnb

In my opinion Airbnb is a home sharing community and is definitely not suited for everybody.

I would write something along these lines   "would be more comfortable in a Serviced apartment" here in Melbourne we have lots of those around for business people who needs house keeping and so on.

Private comments?... Do you think he would care what feedback you would give him?

@Kelly149  said it, these kind of guests bless their heart.

Hopefully next guest will be a great one 🙂

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Kenneth12 In the south the reply would have some version of “well bless your heart” in it

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kenneth12  Is the hospital visit related to simular cake consumed recently ?

Just asking....

Emiel

Nu weet ik niet, wie hun tong in de taart heeft.

mvG

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

So if you were away @Kenneth12  how did the mousse arrive indoors?!?

@Kelly149 :  bless his heart,  he appeared to make it back to the house,   receive the cake,  and to leave sometime afterward all on his own.

Did I neglect to mention that his dad attempted to book this for him-- using dad's account?

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

🤣🤣  being an adult is so hard. I hope he at least shared that big ol cake with the house

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kenneth12  Here's my arrogant doctor story (not a guest). Many years ago when I was living in Canada and had 3 kids to feed, I would walk around my neighborhood, which was an orchard area way back before they started building wall-to-wall houses, looking for fruit trees that the property owners weren't making use of- the fruit was falling all over the ground.

There was an old apple tree in the backyard of a building which was a dermatologist's office. I went in the office to ask if I could have the fruit, as it appeared no one was using it. The receptionist said she'd have to ask the doctor. He came out to the waiting room, I repeated my request, whereupon he closed his eyes and said "They're crabapples." I said they were actually nice tasting apples, not crabapples, they were just small because the tree hadn't been pruned for many years. He again closed his eyes and said "They're crabapples". So I said, "Okay, can I have the crabapples then, if you're not going to use them?" He said yes, and I made a big pot of applesauce with the apples (which were definitely not crabapples, but I guess a medical degree makes one an expert on everything).