Does AirBnB Care? Instant Booking not working

Helen213
Level 10
New York, NY

Does AirBnB Care? Instant Booking not working

My Instant Book function is still not working.  So I do not show up in searchs and lose out in last minute bookings. This is crazy! I reported the issue on 12/28 and I think it started around 12/18 after a cancellation for an illegal third party booking. So for at least 10 days but maybe over 20 days this has been an issue. I know many other hosts have reported the same issue too. There has been no statement from AirBnB even acknowledging the problem.  I am getting no bookings for Jan even though I am the cheapest in my area. I am very worried about not making my expenses.

I know manyhsts do not use Instant Book.  But in my area it is necessary as there are so many listings.  The proof, my bookings since off are down 80% over last yearfor Jan and Feb.

Where is management?  Why isn't this issue a priority and why is AirBnB not warning IB Hosts that this could happen to them?  When dealing with these issues it really feels like AirBnB does not care.

39 Replies 39
Helen213
Level 10
New York, NY

Now for the irony - I was just made a superhost but I am on some Kind of secret punishment still with no Instant Booking.  It has been 2 weeks sincce Ireported it and over 26 days since I believe it was turned off.

No one at AirBnb can tell official why it as turned off or when it will be restored.  If it wasn't for this community of hosts, I would have no information at all.

Adel36
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I have exaclty the same problem here, in London, since middle of December, and losing bookings. The average views per day on my listings dropped down from 30 to 5/10! We should talk talk to some media and newpaper about this behaviour? Apparently this is in favor or other listings. So maybe it's a trick they use? Anyone else, please?

Same problem. Helen is 100% right!

Helen213
Level 10
New York, NY

I think they have no idea what the problem is because they never hesitate to announce new rules to hosts.  It makes no sense to turn off hosts that areproducing.  AirBnB is all about the fees and they really do not care where they come from, esecially if they are trying to go publoc this year as it is rumoured.

Helen213
Level 10
New York, NY

My Instant Book Function is back up 3 weeks after reporting the issue.  No reason has been given to why it hppened, excet a "coding" problem too complicated to explain.  I lost at least 12 days income and was offered a $50 coupon.    That is right $50 dollars for no bookings for most of January.

Sarah-And-Tom0
Level 5
New South Wales, Australia

Hi,

I have the same problem. We couldn't understand why we were not getting any bookings. Then we had two in a row that were request to book. I ran a few tests and sure enough, our listing is not showing in search results for instant book. The scenario is exactly the same as yours, we cancelled an instant booking which where it was clear that the guest was lying. Support assured us that there would not be any penalty, now we have had only two new bookings in a month. We have called support and nothing has been done yet, we have been told that we have to 'be patient' until the technical team respond. 

Previous experience tells me that we are in for a long and expensive wait.

Sarah

Alexandra199
Level 10
Gretton, United Kingdom

I cant believe I'm reading this. This is happening to me at the moment and it has only started since I requested a cancellation. I even said to the customer services that i think it is linked to that and they refute this. I think there is som enasty secret penalty that is put against a host when they 'cross the line'. I am getting totally fed up with airbnb. They are becoming awful to deal with. Its been at least three days now that i do not shoiw up on lists when instant book filter is checked. Instant book is vital where I am listing due to the competition. Can anyone help me and tell me what I can do? Airbnb just tell me to be patient. No updates and I only found out the problem by accident. Im getting desperately upset about this. I run my business on Airbnb and this is going to seriously affect my income. 

I truly feel for you. I honestly think I was down for almost a month. I did a guest a favor and allowed a cancellation with no penalty in Mid Dec, and noticed a few weeks later I hadn’t received  a new reservation request. Being out that long made my normally slow Jan, Feb, March dead.  It was a huge money lost for me. The irony was that I made superhost at the same time as I was being psecretjy punished.

I truly hope hope you get fixed faster than I did. I recommend complaining on Twitter and lots of emails. 

Thank you Helen. I had an email from Airbnb today admitting that I had my IB removed because of my cancellation. This is totally against their policy and i am furious! I have just listed my properties on Homeaway and reduced my prices on Booking.com and I am getting lots of bookings from them instead. I am going to slowly try to withdraw from Airbnb. I feel it has become too big and lacks the sense of community it started with and they do not care about their hosts at all.

Alexandra, I feel your pain. Most of what you say is common to us as well.  We think we lost about $2000 through this underhanded, covert tactic by Airbnb, and they couldnt care less - let alone even consider compensation.  It took us about 3-4 weeks to have it rectified and we had to stay on their backs every couple of days.  Their care factor about your loss of income is zero. What we did whilst we were waiting was we added a statement at the start of our listing to say that we were an instant book property, and that if instant book wasnt working we would get back to you immediately.  Not sure if it helped (our income suggests that it was marginal help at best) but we felt we had to do something - Airbnb werent going to help any faster that Fiji time.

The other tip - they wont get back to you when its rectified (remember care factor is zero) so keep checking your searches before you call them to demand where they are at.

We are currently reviewing our position with Airbnb - too much stress created by them - how can you sustain a business when your prime supplier so obviously and blatently doesnt have your back (and is argueably working against you)

Good luck 

Alexandra199
Level 10
Gretton, United Kingdom

Thank you for your understanding Sarah and Tom, its been over two weeks now and ive had 5 customer service people 'investigate' this with no resolve. It is absolutely disgraceful. Ive been on twitter and FB to try and get some action but nothing.

Hi Alexandra, this sounds very familiar to our experience. Clearly it is a worldwide strategy from Airbnb on this issue.  Just stick to it. I think you can submit a written complaint on the website via a form.  It might get them attacking it from a different set of people.

Unfortunately Airbnb are similar to other big corporates in 2019 - total disregard for their customers, and they use them like a commodity. No doubt this will turn around when better alternatives emerge and customers leave.

good luck.

Michele737
Level 2
Milan, Italy

Hello from Italy. Since the 10 of april I exactly have the same issue. Ive spoken to customer service so many times and nobody is able to find a solution. Everyone  is reporting something different and nobody is able to.give me a clear answer regarding this ridicolous issue. St first they told me it would last 7 days now, it's been almost a monthly. Can anybody tell me what to do or where to complain, please? 

Thank you much

Mickey, Milan, Italy

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I wouldn't sweat it. Those last minute bookings are more likely to be undesirable guests. And I'm sure they gravitate towards Instant Book.