Does a bathroom have to have bath?

Nikki39
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Does a bathroom have to have bath?

I know it sounds obvious but with the new private bathroom option, I am not sure what to put. My guests have the top floor of my house which is therefore a private room and next door is a large room with the toliet sink and a shower in it. If they want a bath they can use the bathroom that I use. So do they have a private bathroom? My friends think this counts. What do others think please?

11 Replies 11
Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

They don't have a private bathroom.  It's a shared bathroom.

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

Just looked up the definition of Bathroom on Google;

bathroom
ˈbɑːθruːm,ˈbɑːθrʊm/
noun
noun: bathroom; plural noun: bathrooms
  1. a room containing a bath or shower and typically also a washbasin and a toilet.

so in my opinion they have a private bathroom
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Nikki39 A shower is a bath. Specify that the bathroom doesn't have a bathtub. But yes that is a complete "bathroom"

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

I completely misread your post, @Nikki39.  I don't have bathtubs in my two rooms, just walk-in showers, and those are used only by guests.  They have private baths.  You're good!

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Nikki39 Dont stress yourself on this detail, it is a bathroom always keep things simply. Good luck!!!

Nikki39
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Thank you everyone 🙂

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

@Nikki39. I'm thinking that some Americans might be a bit confused - I'd specify that the bathroom has a shower but not a bathtub (not just "Bath").  You might generously offer the use of your bathtub, but I think I'd just keep your own bathroom to yourself and let them make do with the shower!  

Nikki39
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

l add tub to bath, thank you. I do say they can use the bath (tub) if they prefer it to showers but tell them that I use that bathroom & the towels in it. Also at the moment I warn them that there is a lot of swimwear including a wet suit drying! So far everyone has used the room next to theirs only.

Gerrie0
Level 2
Prestwick, United Kingdom

A bathroom in Scotland is a toilet and wash basin. it does not have to have a bath or shower.  We have a shared shower for one of our rooms and an explanaton in our description, but the use of the word confuses people and last month we had a less than 5 star review from one set of guests.  upsetting after 5 years of 99% 5 stars!  could we have a tick list perhaps?  Toilet - private, Sink - private, Bath - none, Shower - shared

@Gerrie0

Wow That is a big cultural difference!

Although on Airbnb, we are supposed to honor your culture, as an American I would be shocked to discover the bathroom did not have a shower or bath.

We call your setup a powder room or half-bath or washroom. Don't you guys use w/c or toilet  to describe your setup

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Paul154  you are too funny and you are right -  I guess you are both of those things most of the time!