Does any host do double completed identity verification?

Helena535
Level 2
Surry Hills, AU

Does any host do double completed identity verification?

Hello Hosts,

I have received a email from Airbnb "Action needed by 05 December to keep listing active"

Well, I tried to Update it my Profile. However I can see I've already have my IDENTITY - Gov ID and Home address too as I've been Hosting since 2014. Plus I'm also a guest to other Countries over past years....

I thought about to call Airbnb Customer Service "Philippines" for the Q, but I was worried I may have the Answer from them still back to the Q... 

So, please let me know. Thanks! Helena

25 Replies 25
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Helena535  I got one of those messages, which was not SO strange for me cos I was not previously verified.

@Ute42 did a post on Host Circle "I have to verify myself or be delisted." Like you, she was verified already. Her post explains conflicting info on her different pages. Branka had the same on her pages.

Many thanks for your Info Helen! (Very helpful). I've decided to wait til after 5th of Dec 2019 and see weather my Profile are still On or Delisted. (Because it may be a fake update around... Safety concerns) 

Helen350
Level 10

@Helena535 I didn't think it was fake, I just thought it was a glitch..... Personally I wasn't verified, got the message to verify by 6 Dec so DID upload a photo of my passport. I was verified a few minutes later! But Ute42 reported the oddity of having to verify again...... ?glitch? 

I'm not sure about you waiting till AFTER 5 Dec? What if you get delisted? (Tho' when I uploaded my passport, it said hosts only had to do it ONCE.) Why not contact Airbnb to ask if you really need to provide  your passport a second time?

Will see it after 5th Dec :}. Re contacting Airbnb Customer Service "Philippines" for the Q? Personally think it is a wasting my time. (My experience in dealing with Airbnb Philippines customer service).

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

I never got any kind of email at all, but I AM verified. Wonder if I will be 'disappeared' after December 5th, hmmmm......

See there you go....

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Helena535 @Helen350 @Rebecca181 

On my profile page you see this :

verified1.jpg

But if I look at " my account" page, I see this:

verified2.jpg

Ute from Germany also has the same two conflicting information on her profile,  she did get an email to verify herself and I still didn't.

I think it is a glitch in the system

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Lol! This is reminiscent of all those other "glitches" in the system, that prevent hosts from being able to input certain details that have been specifically required from them by Airbnb, under threat of payouts being frozen/withheld for non-compliance  (permit/licence numbers, updated bank details/personal info etc) So while the host repeatedly struggles in vain to enter the requested info into the "glitchy" system, Airbnb conveniently sits on their payouts. 

No matter which way you look at it.. there are really only two rational explanations here. One, is that these screw-ups aren't really screw-ups at all, and that the company is clearly exhibiting classic Q4 behaviour, and cynically and stealthily exploiting their own host base, for the appeasement of its smega-rich VC sugar daddies. But we all know Airbnb would never stoop to such dirty, unethical tactics... don't we??

The second, is gross fundamental technical incompetence of a global TECH giant, with a supposed valuation of $38 billion, and an impending IPO.

Neither scenario bathes the company in a very flattering - or sustainable - light. 

Did anyone ever figure out why Australian hosts had there payments withheld for weeks and weeks and weeks this past year, @Susan17 ?

@Branka-and-Silvia0 Yes, that is what I was trying to explain to @Helena535 !

I see I am verified on my profile. How do I see the 'my account' page? Not sure how to access that. Hit 'account' but it does not look like yours, @Branka-and-Silvia0 

Helen350
Level 10

@Rebecca181 'Account', then 'Personal Info'...

Thanks, @Helen350 . It also says I am verified there. Must be why I did not get an email to verify (mercifully...)

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Helena535 @Helen350 @Rebecca181 

At a time when they desperately need to be showing impressive month-on-month pre-IPO growth - and are offering unprecedentedly generous sign-up bonuses to lure new hosts onboard - you can bet your life that Airbnb is not going to be erecting barriers to entry by requiring every single host to verify their identity. Several test accounts were set up over the past 48 hours to check this out, and none were required to complete the verification process. (Retention of existing hoss is not such a priority however, so better to target those already in the loop, and locked in with upcoming bookings - they're far less likely to baulk, and bail)

What will happen in this instance, is what always happens - a relatively tiny, randomly selected subset of hosts will be told that they must verify, or lose access to their accounts (or even re-verify - the selection algorithm doesn't appear to be sophisticated enough to differentiate between already-verified and non-verified hosts). This will create the illusion that Airbnb is pro-actively working towards the gradual vetification of all hosts, but in reality, only a small minority of hosts will be chosen to complete the process, while most will remain blissfully unaware that this is even a thing. 

They've employed a similar approach as regards hosts being required to register as a business account on the platform. On foot of the EU Commission ordering Airbnb to clearly identify and delineate between small individual hosts and large commercial operators on the site, the company employed a similar scatter-gun approach by ordering a very small, seemingly random selection of hosts earning over a threshold of $15K/£10K, to sign up for an Airbnb business account, under threat of suspension/delisting for non-compliance.

Apart from the few who have been targetted, the vast majority of hosts remain oblivious to the fact that there are legal requirements for all EU hosts operating as a business - however small - to clearly post their details on their listings (name, email address, legal representative, phone number etc). For reasons best known to themselves (although it doesn't take a genius to figure them out), Airbnb inexplicably chose not to send out a blanket email to all EU hosts who would fall within these parameters, informing them of their obligations, and requesting that they update their listings with the relevant details asap. Instead, they bury that info somewhere in the bowels of the "Help" section, and persist with their occasional  random selection methods. 

Also, from Day 1, Airbnb has always required a token 25% of users to be verified - regardless of whether or not verified ID was required by the host. One can only assume that they have a certain guaranteed quota built into their contract with Jumio Corp, the controversial third-party outfit to which Airbnb outsources its ID Verification processes, and with whom the company shares certain key VC backers in common. And rather than inconvenience new hosts or - god forbid! - guests, by placing pesky verification obstacles in their way, far quicker and easier to simply target the low-hanging fruit of the existing host-base instead. 

It's all about keeping up appearances. Just the usual smoke and mirrors efforts from The Firm.