Does anyone else feel that 4.2 out of 5 stars leading to suspension is too strict?

Elvina0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Does anyone else feel that 4.2 out of 5 stars leading to suspension is too strict?

"Your listing has been suspended for 5 days. This happened because its rating dropped after your most recent review."

Click "Track Listing Performance: 61.1%    5-star ratings

"Great job! Your overall quality rating is up 11.1% compared to the previous 30 days."

Confused....

Live Chat Agent: " I see that your 5 days suspension was because of your over all rating of 4.2%. Our hosting standards are a set of guidelines to ensure guests have a positive and consistent travel experience with each Airbnb reservation"

Me: But 4.2 out of 5 is great!

Live Chat Agent: As of this moment, getting 4.2 review rating is unacceptable depending on the number of reviews you have.

Me: this is equivalent to suspending a child for getting a B in class. I understand a C (3 or 3.5 out of 5) but a B?

Why are you being so strict? There are people who:

- never give 5 stars as a principle,

- negatively review b/c their plans change and aren't eligible for a refund

- did not read that we are a shared place and tried it for the first time and don't like the concept versus the space

- have too many opinions when they are paying a cheap price (demand all brand new everything and personal service)

So these folks take it out on the reviews and it impacts our business within a .8 margin from 5 stars? Meaning anything 4.2 or below will suspend and then can permanently be remove from the listings.

Live Chat Agent: You definitely have some valid points here and I appreciate it. I am sincerely sorry.

Has anyone else had this experience or is it just me because of the volume of 922 reviews since 2009? Is this is an updated policy because I have never been suspended and in the last 60 days I have 2 listings down for being around 4/5 stars.

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Elvina0 

Your profile shows not all recent reviews are jewels on the crown....

So when the level goes down, then Airbnb will take action.

Is it correct ? No, because this whole review system is totally out-dated.

Airbnb is a different company now, and expectations of hosts and guests have changed.

It is more business and less fun.

Let's hope this review system will retire soon and be replaced by something more suitable.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Elvina0  No, 4.2.out of 5 isn't "great". I know that star ratings and reviews are totally subjective and lots of guests will mark you down unfairly.

But in order to have a 4.2 rating, that means many guests have left less than 4*s.

You have several reviews which mention that the bathrooms aren't kept clean, that guests found dirty socks and other garbage from previous guests in their pod, that there were bedbugs. These are not all what hosts call revenge reviews, as many of those same reviews do mention the positives.

There are also reviews that mention the lack of mask-wearing in these hostel environments, so sounds like you're running  Covid super spreader listings.

You might use the 5 day suspension to reassess how you're running things so you can start getting better ratings. One of your listings has a 3.3 rating. That's pretty bad.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Elvina0 

Personally Elvina I think your reviews read quite well......it is just the few poor ones that you have had, that have had a big impact on your stats. 

I am always a bit suspicious of bedbug complaints, in many instances the bedbugs have been introduced by the guest who has complained.....bedbugs are not discretionary, if previous guests to the guest in question have not complained, you have a good idea who the culprit is! It's just a terrible shame that Airbnb are not up with this 'free accommodation' bedbug ruse/scam.

My second thought was....what on earth do guests expect from an advertised 'pod' accommodation! Do they think they are going to get a pod suite of rooms to themselves.

Obviously there are certain limitations with the style of accommodation you offer Elvina, it is hostel style accommodation but, 80% of your reviews are very positive and it is a pity that you have struck a few that want something for nothing that have lead to this current situation you are in.

Airbnb's review rating system is crazy......it tells guests a 3 star means it met their expectations while telling hosts that same 3 star means they are headed for suspension! 

We have been at them for years to address this completely nonsensical situation without success.

Once again I am sorry this has happened to you Elvina, it is just one of the problems you face when you deal with the budget end of the travelling market but, I hope that Airbnb will see that you offer a definite niche facility and let you get on with what the bulk of your guests appreciate.

Cheers.........Rob

@Elvina0 I'm not sure whether the suspension was automatically triggered by the algorithm based on ratings, or reviewed by a staff member before taking effect. However, as @Sarah977  mentions, some of the recent reviews raise some serious issues - bedbugs, theft, no enforcement of Covid safety requirements - and it's discouraging that you haven't posted a public response to any of these to indicate the slightest concern. 

@Robin4  When multiple reviews over a period of several months mention bedbugs, and the host has not posted any response to indicate attention to the problem, that sounds to me like a genuine ongoing problem. There are people who use the so called "bedbug ruse" to scam their way into a free stay, but why would a con artist choose a budget hostel if they thought their con could get them a free stay somewhere nicer?

Samer32
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hi don't waste your time, I have been very helpful to airbnb and accepting refunds for non  Eligible guests and more , and when my rating dropped.0.1 percent due to people you say about they suspended my 10 listing for a month during august, and I know fya fact that they are leaving accounts with rating of 1.7 active. So don't waste your time on them they have their own agenda 

**[Inappropriate content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Anne11447
Level 2
Oslo, Norway

IT is crazy, and a new trade they are following. Same happened to me today. Did you get unsuspended again after 5 days?

5 days for me too, What did you do to get unsuspended?