Does anyone have any nice guests in?!

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Does anyone have any nice guests in?!

GettyImages-527613041.jpg

Having had a couple of “dud”’bookings/guests over the past few weeks I’m happy to report lots of wonderful charming guests in my listings at the moment:

-a fabulous Russian student here for a summer course at a University in central London, she loves the apartment as it’s her first time living outside of home!

-4 very charming French ladies here to explore London for a few days, keen to make the most of every single moment. 

-A great German guy, who’s in for a long stay. The washing machine broke down and had to be repalaced and he’s taken the whole thing in his stride and with very good humour.

-The coolest guest from Beijing, staying in my private room listing! She’s up and out early every morning after breakfast making the best of every moment even though the weather has been terrible here in London!

Anyone else got any good guests?

Paul 🙂 

136 Replies 136

Hello from sunny Spain!

I have been hosting for 2 years with mostly good experiences. However, its been a challenging season, with a guest booking under false pretences, then abandoning 5 teenagers to trash the place, another making demands which made me want to tell them they're more suited to the "stay at home" holiday, to people who got too pally and expected me to post their postcards for them and generally run around, but were happy to leave the place grimy and the fridge full of cooked food - all of which have left me a bit disheartened. It feels as if my new career is running a laundrette, you should see my courtyard 🙂

So.. I was happy to read this thread - thank you @Paul1255 and all the other hosts on here who reminded me that I have also had some fabulous guests, who I would've been happy to have as friends and who were interesting, kind, fun, thoughtful, and considerate.

I have a four-day break now, and will use that time to revert to a positive, cheerful mindset before the next family arrives..

Happy summer hosting!

Tricia-and-Michael0
Level 2
Altrincham, United Kingdom

One of of my favourite hosting moments involved a tap on the shoulder on a packed station platform, on the way home from a sell out gig in Manchester.  

Our guests, who had coincidentally travelled from New Zealand for the same gig, had miraculously picked us out in the crowd.  If that seems like a relatively easy trick, keep in mind that they hadn’t even met us at check in - their only clues were some photos in the flat and a phone conversation about the best way to get to and from the venue.

Apparently  they recognised the old man by his hat,  heard me calling his name and couldn’t die wondering if they guessed correctly so made themselves known.

A lovely guest, host, gig and  beer fuelled circle of positive energy - brilliant.

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

One of my wonderful guests did actually mail me a Thank You card for their wonderful stay! That made me feel really great. 🙂

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Almost entirely lovely guests so far (touch wood).

Polite, tidy and clean.

Minor annoyances include the woman who got stroppy when I said no to her extended family coming from the campsite for a shower, the woman who left a day early and tried to cancel the second day after check in without having told me she'd left. Pretty good in all. 

Cynthia561
Level 1
La Quinta, CA

Since 2015, I have been VERY lucky and have had 99 percent nice,  1 percent duds. Our space is seasonal mainly during Nov- June and the summer months (July aug and sept are super hot ( triple digits here in the desert) and I give end of season bargain rates which seems to attract the duds! I have had so many great guests, and ready these make me realize how lucky I am! 

We have been hosting for only 2 months, and have been very lucky so far.  We have had two guests ask to check in early, but it was not a problem.  Also—so far— every single guest has been respectful of the rules, they have been good communicators, and have left our home clean and tidy.  I hope this luck continues.

Last week I hosted a lady from China who was planning to celebrate her 30th birthday alone. So I thought I might as well buy her a birthday cake and also wrote a lovely note for her. She told me it was very nice of me to do these things but she left the cake untouched in the refrigerator and just checked out. I know I gave it to her and she had every right to do with it as she like but still, I don't feel she really meant it when she thanked me. She also wrote this long review, complaining about how I could do better. What really upsets me is that I couldn't contact her, she never got back to me, ignoring my message and my helping hand. The whole experience is very frustrating 😞

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

So, my last guests, who were here on a nice cool week, with the highest temperature at mid 80sF, and getitng down to 69F or 70F at night, AND having been asked to increase the AC temperature when they left the house...instead, had the air conditioners set at 68F for the last 5 days.  Nice!  Thanks!  They also failed to follow instructions on putting their garbage out and are sure to leave a bad review because they got lost getting here from the airport.  

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Paul1255 

Just had a delightful local stay who is currently living in a tiny settlement called Kakanui, Oamaru, South Island, New Zealand.

If you are reading this folks check out her review when she's written it & network with her - Kakanui has a beautiful historic church built in 1860 so include a visit to it in your itinerary.

She has adopted parents who are Dutch, lived in Netherlands, loves Dutch food, like I do too, & we shared so many great linkages it's incredible.

Her dad died a month after ours was tragically killed in a car accident a number of years ago.

She was in Auckland for a conference & whilst she was out I had popped some Heritage Post cards & Swan plant seeds & a chocolate on the beside stand for her.

When I got up she couldn't thank me enough as had been cleaning out her dad's glasshouse & been trying to get Swan Plants & seeds to grow for the Monarch butterflies since her return to NZ just under a year ago.

It's guests like her who make one truly appreciate why we love sharing our homes with others.

Thanks again @Paul1255 @Mark116 @宅東0 @Bruce-And-Patty0 @Kendra17  @Stephanie365 

@Cynthia561@Mike-And-Helen0  and @everyone-else for all your positive stories & @Paul1255 for starting this topic about having 'nice guests".

All the very best

Central To All Home & Location, Auckland, NZ

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Paul1255@Mark116 @宅東0 @Bruce-And-Patty0 @Kendra17 
How's your Guests been these days and nights?

I have to say we have been very lucky with guests.  So far all of them have been respectful and all have left our house clean and tidy.  I do get a little annoyed with people who ask for early check-in after they have booked without bothering to ask us first.  Because our Airbnb is in a beach community, we have had mostly back-to-back bookings and with turnover cleanings taking time, early check-ins can sometimes be problematic.  But aside from that, so far so good.  Hope all is going well for you! 

Oh gosh....mixed bag really for the last little bit.  No real stand outs for wow though.  Maybe next week ;( lol

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen427 

I have had all good guests in for summer! 

Just said goodbye to the guest ever, who was from NZ.

A dream to host, he was great and fully cleaned the apartment before he left- it was as if he was never there :))

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Paul1255 @Helen427 @Mark116 

Well, it's been a looong weekend for me (and it ain't over yet!)

I have 12 Welsh guests in since Thursday, who are over for the rugby. All in their late 50s, 60s and 70s. Really warm, friendly, lovely people, who I've rvery much enjoyed chatting with and getting to know. (They've even insisted on taking myself and my two drivers, Bob and Robbie to lunch later today, as a "thank you" for taking such good care of them)

Absolutely love them. But dear god, are they louuuud!! My nerves have been in tatters since they arrived on Thursday, trying to keep them to a reasonable decibel level, and walking the very narrow tightrope between allowing them to enjoy themselves to the fullest without me being too heavy-handed, and watching them like a hawk to ensure my neighbours aren't disturbed in any way. 

Not an ounce of badness or malice in them, and they're certainly embracing the "live like a local" vibe - every time I leave the house, someone asks me if my lovely Welshies are still here - but boy, am I looking forward to them heading back home tomorrow morning! At least I'll be able to get a proper rest tomorrow night, without having to sleep with one eye open, and my blood pressure might return to normal. Well, until the next crew arrives, anyway... 😉

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Susan17 But at least Ireland won!