Does anyone have any nice guests in?!

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Does anyone have any nice guests in?!

GettyImages-527613041.jpg

Having had a couple of “dud”’bookings/guests over the past few weeks I’m happy to report lots of wonderful charming guests in my listings at the moment:

-a fabulous Russian student here for a summer course at a University in central London, she loves the apartment as it’s her first time living outside of home!

-4 very charming French ladies here to explore London for a few days, keen to make the most of every single moment. 

-A great German guy, who’s in for a long stay. The washing machine broke down and had to be repalaced and he’s taken the whole thing in his stride and with very good humour.

-The coolest guest from Beijing, staying in my private room listing! She’s up and out early every morning after breakfast making the best of every moment even though the weather has been terrible here in London!

Anyone else got any good guests?

Paul 🙂 

136 Replies 136
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

$1,000 @Suzanne302 yikes! Glad your next guest was a good one.

And so sweet she wanted to meet Griffin :)) hope you get a continued run of good guests!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

How has this topic gone from "Does anyone have nice Guests in? to the opposite..?

Maybe @Paul1255  there's a  need a new  topic, "Does anyone have not nice & grumpy guests in ??"

There's plenty of topics about not nice guests elsewhere in here folks where we can vent about them...

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I get what you're saying @Helen427 ! I did begin my original post about having had several "dud" guests, (and they do seem to come in waves) which is why we are hearing about both the bad and the good here 🙂

Cynthia344
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I’m lucky I guess. I’ve been hosting going on four years. I live in Palmdale CA near to Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman so I get interns every summer studying there. I also get traveling nurses and teachers. So mostly professionals . I’ve had 3 problem people in all that time. 2 of the 3 just wanted to get away. One woman, in a wheelchair wanted to commit suicide. Luckily she called a friend who took her to hospital. And a man who had a diabetic episode and came into by room in the middle of the night and didn’t know where he was. So I don’t accept people who need to getaway!!  

So Far in New York City, every guest has been awesome.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Happy to hear this @Jay474 long may it continue 🙂

Hi All,

its my first time having guests, hoping it will turn out well at the end, fingers crossed! Any tips guys 😊

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm sure they'll be great @Funmilola0 !

tips: clean, clean, clean and make sure your welcome makes your guests feel at home straight away. Make sure to cover off your house rules/guidelines so guests know what is ok to do/use etc. Be available if needed, and then just let your guests enjoy their trip 🙂

Michelle1358
Level 4
North Carolina, United States

Anyone can do an AirBnb -- but not everyone should.  You have to have a heart for hosting to enjoy it....which you clearly do!

That's very kind of you to say @Michelle1358 :))

We have been hosts only since April. We have had guests a variety of guests. One family was here for a family memorial golf tournament to honor a grandfather. A group of girlfriends was here for their first trip to Walt Disney World. We worried about them, but they did take care of the Guest House. One couple went in and then left. They never responded to our pre or post stay emails, nor those of Airbnb. They never responded afterwards about why they left. The current guests arrive this afternoon. They have been registered since 2017 but never stayed anywhere so there are no reviews. At first it was a single woman and an infant. It is now 5 adults and an 18 month old. There is only an email address and phone number as reference, no government id as requested. We are taking a huge chance with this one and I feel quite nervous. My husband said everyone has a first trip.

That's good you have had a variety of guests @Richard-And-Nancy1  and good ones so far!

For your guests who are arriving this afternoon, and any who book with you where you might have questions or concerns....ask those questions before they arrive to make sure you don't feel that you're taking a chance and worry until they depart!

If a guest has been a airbnb community member for a while but doesn't have any reviews yet, ask them why...there's always a good reason- other people have booked, like their partner or friends, or they joined but haven't had the chance to take a trip yet, and as your husband rightly says, everyone has a first trip (and every host a first booking!)

Ask them about their travel history, who's coming with them, what they plan to do...it's fine to do so and genuine guests welcome interaction with their hosts!

Hope this booking goes well- let us know 🙂

You are right. We sighed with relief when these guests left. Nothing they did was overwhelming ly awful. It may have been cultural and language differences, although they reside in Los Angeles. The kitchen cupboard was rifled through and left a mess. Packaged items were opened when others were available (a large bag with individual chips, cookies, etc. The wastebaskets were overflowing, no trash put out in the cans, sinks not rinsed, wet towels in bedrooms and not in hampers provided. Our inquiries were left unanswered, or answers were sketchy. Our main concern is we did not approve this reservation. It booked before we received answers to those questions.  

Other guests have been wonderful. Maybe it is the obvious differences.

After opening my Airbnb just one month ago I have met some very nice people. We’ve gotten some wonderful reviews and started to really enjoy hosting. But the guest we hosted last night has changed everything, so much so that I’ve considered quitting this crazy Airbnb adventure early. Honestly it was just so disheartening.

After MULTIPLE requests that we honored especially for her, spending extra money and going out of our way to fulfill her demands, She was never satisfied and kept giving us new demands. Then she demanded a full refund because the neighbors in the house next door were smoking outside and she could smell it. But she wanted to stay the whole day for free then check out at the end of the day. But how do I change the neighbors? Help. Any ideas? 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Holly295  

I think it's important to remember the good and great guests- learn anything you can from the not to good ones and then move on to the next good ones!

Don't let one bad one stop you hosting.

You can't change the neighbours...they aren't really the issue here unless they are affecting all of your guest stays, and I sense that isn't the case.

It sounds like you have had an entitled guest...demands ans demands and demands- nothing you do is good enough and that is usually reflected in their review, so my advice is not to give into their demands as they are going to be unhappy whatever you do or don't do.

When we host we meet all types of guests- some not so good we can spot with experience, some we think won't be good but turn out to be amazing, some we think will be good but aren't but taking the rough with the smooth is part of hosting and the tougher situations give us the experience to be great hosts.

Anyone can be a host to amazing guests, I think the best hosts have also dealt with some of the not so amazing guests 🙂