Does changing a reservation give any advantage to guest?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Does changing a reservation give any advantage to guest?

I have a guest asking to change the number of guests. I do not charge for extra guests. I explained that and declined- I was to be honest worried that something else gets triggered, like another grace period. She has previously tried to cancel and get full refund, so I know she might be up to something. She is now insisting I make the change which is making me even more suspicious. This should not matter to her since I do not charge extra and the reso is a month and a half away. The head count can change five times over- it is a big group.

7 Replies 7
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Where are all my wise people? Anyone? Bueller?

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Inna22 when you get a request you can specifically see what is it about before accepting. Let her and if inything else changes besides the number of guests you can always decline.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Inna22 yes, go in and change it and increase her price while you’re there. Then she can decide to accept or not. (Abb has variable pricing — I’m not sure why that happened??)

Or call cs & get them to change it and confirm that nothing else changes?

or if she’s already a pita with 45 days to go how about you just get her cancelled???

@Kelly149 Abb has variable pricing — I’m not sure why that happened??- brililant!

@Inna22   If she is not even going to take responsibility for something as inconsequential as changing the number of guests things do not bode well.   As for 'grace period' kicking in again when a reservation is altered  I would write a message to Airbnb, it's a nebulous area, the algorithm may not be programmed to know the difference between a reservation and an alteration to a reservation and respond as if it's a completely new reservation adding another 48 hours to cancel.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Phone air bnb and cancel this booking.

This seasons headaches were initially,from change of mind by guests.

They seem not to be able to makebup their mind and this does not bode well as it’s giving an inch which may become a rogue mile!

Also why are you not charging for extra guests? don’t extra guests use showers, electricity and bedding like everyone else?

How many more are coming or is it morphing into a last minute party?Avoid!

@Victoria567

this space is designed for bigger group and is priced as such. Also, my price is high enough to not worry about extra showers but at the same time not deal with the headache of counting the guests and keeping track of them. One way of looking at it is to say that I do not give a discount if you are a smaller group rather than I do not charge for extra people. I am very strict about the max I allow though so it does not morph into a party. I also have found that most of the time my bigger groups are much easier going and use fewer resources. They will not cook and just order in, each will grab one towel instead of raging through my linen closet and overall are there to have fun and not to search for things to be wrong with my place