Does it affect my account as a host if I get plenty of cancellations by the guests? Please help.

Jennie87
Level 1
Talisay City, Philippines

Does it affect my account as a host if I get plenty of cancellations by the guests? Please help.

I'm a new host, and I wanted to know if it affects my account to have plenty of cancellations by the guests. 

4 Replies 4
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jennie87 

what do you mean by "plenty"?

As hosts, we should describe our listing the best we can to avoid disappointment and cancellations.

We should also try to make our guests as comfortable as we can, keep the place clean and neat, provide amenities they could need during their stay etc...etc.... so they don't run away when they see our place 🙂

It is also good to allow bookings max 6 months in advance, not longer.

You can also set your cancelation policy to moderate or strict to avoid frequent last minute cancelations.

If your guests arrive and are not satisfied with your place so they cancel, leaves a poor rating and bad reviews and it happens multiple times then yes, it is possible your instant booking option will be disabled and your listing suspended.

But if your guest cancels before arrival because his planes changed then it shouldn't be any consequences for you.

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Jennie87  I agree with @Branka-and-Silvia0  the reason why they are cancelling is the main concern. I had 5 guests all cancel with in a few hours of each other. An event was cancelled so then they all cancelled. It didn't effect my ratinsrat all.

Lizbeth17
Level 2
Goleta, CA

Does the Air bnb group look at cancelations before opting to penalize?  As a new member two weeks in, there is no way to read all the information although I have tried. I see today that I may be penalized for a cancelation. 

anyone know?

Caron3
Level 3
Victoria, Canada

YES Airbnb looks at cancellations for the month - we got penalized because 9 people cancelled their booking before arriving (due to changed plans). We've now removed Instant Booking and upped our cancellation policy to moderate. Not sure what more we can do to avoid people cancelling. We find people book our place as a place holder until they can find somewhere cheaper to stay.