Does the guest have to read the description before booking?

Answered!
Helen23
Level 2
Faro District, Portugal

Does the guest have to read the description before booking?

This is a problem I seem to have frequently, guest books, I accept, then later get a message from guest saying they would like to cancel because there is no heating. Normally I would just go ahead and cancel, I am perfectly aware that not having heating is an inconvenience, that is why I rent the studio out incredibly cheap during the winter months, what do people expect to get for 15€ a night?

Monday afternoon a guest booked for Wednesday and asked if it was ok to arrive in the morning, 7 nights, great! The studio has been unoccupied for almost a month so as soon as I got the reservation I go out, open the doors, hang blankets, carpets, etc out to air, I spent Tuesday morning cleaning, put clean linen on beds, when I had just about finished and was making sure everything was ready got a message from another airbnb user "my friend booked you cabin for us. it looks really nice. but i think it is better for summer. he booked to soon. can we please cancel this."... Really?

My question  is when guests book do they have to click anywhere saying that they have read the description?

Would you give them a refund just because they didn't like what they booked? I am a bit divided, I do not what unhappy guests, but I also need the money and do not enjoy doing all that work cleaning for free.

1 Best Answer

There is no button to press to say a guest has read our listing and even if there was they could still press it without reading. Don't get involved in a cancellation. You have done nothing wrong. Send them to airbnb who should apply the policy you have chosen.In this case Strict.You are not responsible for guests not reading. You are responsible for providing everything you say you will on the listing, no less and perhaps maybe more.  You are already very reasonably priced and your home is lovely. It seems too low to be profitable but I imagine you have looked at other listings in your area and the price is comparable. You also ask guests to read and look at all of your photos. The only thing I can suggest is to shorten your listing to make the reading easier. Short simple sentances are much easier than long essays.The listing is very, very long,you also repeat things (eg smoking)and some  phrase are in the wrong place( ie baby cot, tea and cofee and special needs in house rules) Guest access is all wrong( guests have access to the whole studi and the garden, no need to go into any details); Don't give these guests a second thought, you have already wasted too much time on them. I noticed you have no cleaning fee for an entire home and no security deposit so that  breakages or damage can be paid for . Spend a bit of time tweeking the length and I'm sure you will have some very happy guests.Good luck Helen

View Best Answer in original post

37 Replies 37
Helen23
Level 2
Faro District, Portugal

Unfortunatly our electricity here is to unstable and shorts out to requently for electric heaters to work and I don't trust guests with gas ones as last summer I had some guests explode our oven by turning on the gas without the flame!

We are looking at ways to install a wood burner hopefully this winter, but in the meantime it a case of only rent it if you are happy with what is offered.

Since this issue I have now stated refusing any guests who do not send a message saying that they have read the full description. Even with that I have noticed that some people just say it without reading as a feew days ago I had guests who were scared of dogs.

I have also made it a policy to give a full refund any time I am able to rebook.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Head them off at the pass.

Heating is important to many guests and you know that you have had problems with guests' understanding.

So prevent misunderstanding.

Immediately after booking, Send them a thank you for their booking. Mention that your cabin, while romantic, can get cold in the winter.  Elicit a response to your question "Would that be ok?"

At this point, the guest can cancel and find better digs and you won't be dissappointed with a later cancellation.

This makes you upstanding. If your cabin isn't for them in the winter time, they will remember you for your forthrightness and book at a more appropirate season. Or they'll suggest it to a more hardy adventurer.

I am a comfort loving America and still to this day I fondly remember that  winter in that new skyscraper style hotel built on the Andalucian cliffs on the ocean. It was so poorly constructed the sea wind funneled THROUGH the bedroom. So cold.

But I enjoyed huddling so close under the blankets...

Linda317
Level 3
Esher, United Kingdom

Hi hosts

I have just had to cancel a booking because the guests did not read our rules but it seems that Airbnb will now penalise me and I might lose my Superhost status and also those dates will be blocked off on our calendar so nobody else can book.  Surely this is not right.  Any advice??

Guests have to read the description. It's their responsibility. If they didn't read it then have them cancel it and tell them you're willing to fully refund them once they do it and if they do it immediately. If you have a problem, it's best to call airbnb and tell them so you won't be penalized. If some time has gone by and you think you'll have a problem rebooking the dates, I would hold them to your refund policy.

Tracy0
Level 10
London, GB

Even when you have IB on and they have to tick the box to agree to what's in the box I still get 'omg it's a room and not a whole flat can I cancel?' and 'oh I didn't realise I couldn't check in until 8, can I cancel?' or 'I missed the part where it says I have to ask first for a checkin on a Saturday'. 

Guests. Don't. Read.   IT IS IN THE FIRST LINE OF RULES IN THAT BOX THEY AGREE TO.

I've used up all 3 no-penalties for Guests. Not. Reading.  These shouldnt' count toward the 3 strikes/out as it's Not. My. Fault. Guests. Don't. Read.

So enfuriating.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Tracy0 never cancel, tell the guest to ring the number on their booking confirmation to cancel, you'll get a message asking if you want to refund in full.

Julia838
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Is there no electricity? Could you plugin a space heater or two?

Tia-and-Anthony0
Level 2
Black Hawk, CO

Boy am I glad I found this thread. Thank you all for sharing your stories. It's helped me feel not so alone in some of our recent issues with guests.