Does your home change with the seasons?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Does your home change with the seasons?

cf099523-0ac3-4050-b552-403840a2a615 (2).jpg

Hello everyone, 

We are currently in the middle of Autumn (Fall) here in the UK, which signals a shorter nights, warming food and beautiful crisp days. As winter is approaching, it is getting colder, and homes need to accommodate to this change in weather. 

Some hosts might change the type of duvet they use, check the heating is full working order and even alter some details in their listings to accommodate the seasonal change. Your travel suggestions may also change as different tourist attractions might be popular during certain times of the year.  

Do you make alterations in your home according to seasonal changes in your area? What are some things that you change or double check are working as expected? 

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

36 Replies 36
Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

I change all the filters on the heat/air every month. I switch my bedding from spring/summer to fall/winter.

Spring/summerSpring/summerFall/winterFall/winter

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Annette76  You've managed to make a picture of a room emanate warmth! I might need to take my jacket off, how delightfully toasty this room is!

-----

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

While I'm of the 'put another jumper on' era (Scottish upbringing) when the winter arrives, the same can't be said of our guests.

This means swapping out the summer duvet for the winter one, making sure the boiler is serviced in good time (great reminder, thanks @Stephanie) and my outside lighting comes on at the right time. I also offer a hot water bottle which is often taken up with great excitement (OK, perhaps not 'great'). 

Of course, when there are no guests, I'm sat shivering in a jumper. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Ah like a true Northerner @Gordon0 . It's minus -5 out but I'm in shorts acting like it's summer!

-----

Had a laugh at your "shivering in a jumper" ... Isn't it strange how we strive to give our guests the best we can ... I give my guests Lindt while my kids get Cadbury ... Fortunately I don't have your heating issues as in Durban, sunny South Africa it's always good weather..

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Gordon0, from where in Scotland are you exactly from? I've lived  in Edinburgh for a wee while 🙂 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Rothienorman, @Quincy. And in comparison, Edinburgh is much like Copa Cabana in the hight of summer. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I've never been there @Gordon0! I did go to Glenlivet and Aberlour though which I believe was during a Whisky tour. Summer in Edinburgh wasn't too bad 🙂 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I just bought some extra blankets for our cottage. We also start picking up firewood and fire logs for the firepit/fireplace. I also change some of the types of treats that I leave for guests as some of the things I get in the summer from local farms aren't available. And we switch any bottles of wine or beer we leave to enjoy to reds/more stouts. Plus hot chocolate! We leave that as well.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This sounds like an absolutely cosy dream @Laura2592 ! 

-----

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Autumn is apple harvest here so guests get a bottle of juice from our orchard.

By Spring it has normally all gone!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Helen0 I'll bring my scumping bag 😉

-----

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

We Swedes keep our houses nice and warm all year, and summers normally don't get as hot as in southern Europe (were many guests this year game from). So same duvets all year round here.

But I've added some cosy blankets, and some candles. 

Also replaced one of the outdoor lamps that was not working (cannot have guests stumbling in the stairs...). Added some extra, cosy LED lamps on the patio/porch, for ambience.

Added a couple of new photos go the ad, from walks in the area, so guests can see hos it is here right now.

Oh, and I put away The grill... 😄

I am new go hosting, since May, so don't know If I will have any guests in mid-winter. But IF I do, I'll have to shovel a lot more snow than usual, as the house is in the garden, were we typically don't go in the winter! 

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

We don't have seasons at the island but I'll buy some chrismas scented candles and cute fairy lights to set up my 30cm mini tree.