Doesn’t get much more “RED FLAG” than this

Answered!
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

Doesn’t get much more “RED FLAG” than this

A16A54A2-55B9-40E7-93F0-38F4011E3044.png

In addition to the message: joined 2 years ago, no reviews, no verification, local, wants to book for 1 night. And obviously has not read any of the listing details never mind our house rules, lol. The only odd thing out is it’s not short notice.  Now to figure out my response. I will be honest with him so I’ll make it count! 

I must say though, I have to thank a potential guest like this for coming in with red flags waving wildly from both fists. Saves me time and probably trauma. 

1 Best Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Inna22 I get what you are saying but . . .

@Colleen253 I think this is the biggest thing that many guests did not understand. That being, how important the initial message is. If all else is the exact same, one of these inquiries would get my utmost respect and the other would result in a one-word pass. Can you guess which one?

Guest 1: "Hi Emilia, your home looks beautiful and I would love to book for the night. I am wondering what level of privacy I will have? With all that is going on in the world, privacy is my biggest concern. Any reassurance you have would be great. Thank you!"

Guest 2: "i want privacy. does this house have it?"

View Best Answer in original post

42 Replies 42
Geoffrey125
Level 3
Campbell, CA

Do you have anyone that can keep an eye on the property for you for that one night? Some guests are dumb and/or weird, but not necessarily harmful. It is odd for sure. But if you can get eyes on the property or even greet them.

I installed blink cameras outside of my doors and it helps me with piece of mind. Up to you of course if the one night's revenue is worth the risk.

I'm still amazed that guests can book without ID verification. 

@Geoffrey125  "no reviews, no verification, local, wants to book for 1 night. And obviously has not read any of the listing details never mind our house rules"

You might be wiling to risk a booking from a guest like this (not to mention their adamantly and demandingly worded message) but there are very few experienced hosts who would.

Just trying to share my perspective/ideas from my experience. She can make her own decisions.

It was just an inquiry, not a request @Geoffrey125 One of my biggest house rules is that the booker must have provided ID and been verified fully by Airbnb. I would never actually ‘take that to the bank’, but it sends a message and is a good start. I just marvel at how out to lunch this guest is 🤪

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Colleen253   He probably wants to make sure  he has a lot of advance time to ensure he reaches at least 500 people to attend his rave at your beautiful house. LOL.  

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Colleen253  

The redest flag I've ever seen.

I have a very strict policy: As soon as a guests asks „are we alone on the property“ I flat out refuse to host them. No exeptions made. A guest who wants to be alone will do something the landlord shouldn't hear or see.

This is a picture of equipment guests „who wanted to be alone“ brought to my place many years ago: A Sony Sound System with 400 Watts RMS output power.

2020-08-19 Sony Sound System.jpg

Right after this incident my new policy kicked in.

What this clueless guest doesn’t know (because he didn’t read anything) is WE are the neighbors 👀 lol. It’s a definite NO for this one. Shudder. @Ute42  @Geoffrey125  @Sarah977  @Mark116 

@Colleen253 

This brings up a good point... do you have policies in you house rules for additional fines from parties? If so.... how did airbnb honor your additional rules? we have a statement that reads:

"- NO SMOKING! if you must smoke please do so outside with all nearby windows closed.

-No more than 3 non sleeping guests at a time. NO PARTIES. If a neighbor complaint is received, the police are called, or conclusive evidence is obtained the would suggest an excessive amount of guests, the guest is subject to $500 additional charge minimum."

Havent had a problem so i dont know how airbnb would handle it, but hopefully it prevents people from violating the house rules...

@Geoffrey125  “do you have policies in you house rules for additional fines from parties“? No, parties aren’t generally a problem for me and I know I would never be able to collect a  monetary fine for something like that anyway. Most of my house rules are for the sake of prevention and to give me some leverage if problems do arise. I know full well that the host guarantee is no guarantee. 

@Geoffrey125 

Since May 2019 there have been 124 shootings at Airbnb properties. There have been countless reports on this CC alone about unauthorised parties where when informed, Airbnb have done nothing, and in the aftermath and carnage getting damage repaired has been a nightmare.

When your Blink camera captures 50 people entering your listing, what will you do? 

If your rules state 'no parties' along with a smoking fine, do you reckon that the guests will accept your claim - or just set up a new profile and do it again somewhere else because they can simply get away with it?

Airbnb have the reputation as being the 'party platform' little they do deters that, everything they do encourages bad behaviour by guests without consequence. Currently, they're even taking monies from hosts which they are not entitled to. That is hardly an example provided by a company leading by morality.

Certainly, when it comes to hosting, I'm more astute with regard to Airbnb guests than any other. I will obtain confirmed address details, I will be in attendance at check-in and I will interrupt any fights or infringements which contravene my rules or affects my neighbours peaceful existence.

In answer partly to my own question about what you would do when you see 50 guests entering into your listing is.. I wouldn't rely on Airbnb to have my back in any of it.

@Colleen253 

I asked the guest many years ago why he brought such a big sound system.

You know what the guy said? He said:

• I just bought this sound system on ebay last week,
    and when it got delivered I was shocked how big it was 🤣

@Ute42  No doubt it was TOO BIG for his space and he figured yours would be perfect. What a goon.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Colleen253  I notice the inquiry shows 1 guest but states doesn't want anyone at the property when WE get there.  Personally, I would never rent a single night to a local.  This person is up to no good and wants to make sure there are no witnesses.  Decline as fast as possible.

@Linda-And-Richard0  No need to decline an Inquiry- all you have to do is message back whatever is needed to send them on their way.