Dogs

Dogs

We want to be dog friendly hosts, however, we've been encountering some issues with dogs. We would like to add either a $20 fee or a security deposit for people with dogs. How can I do this? I tried the resolution center, but it didn't help. I'd like to make it part of my listing that dogs are $20 extra. How would a person pay?

13 Replies 13
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

You could write in the listing that dogs are welcome under certain conditions, but that a fee of 20 would apply. Then, once a booking is made, you need to go to Change Reservation and add the 20, which the guest has to accept. Sounds a little cumbersome, but it is the best I can think of. Resolution centre will only deal with things after they have happened which is too late, you want the guests to pay before.

Great! Thank you!

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

Actually, my listing is dog friendly (with prior approval) and I send the fee through the resolution center, after booking, but prior to check in. That way the guest agrees to and pays the pet fee before arriving. It's worked well for me and is very easy.

Thanks Ali.  I'm new to this.  Can you explain exactly which steps I would take to use the resoloution center to get paid the dog fee?  I charge a $50  pet fee when guests book on VRBO but it has a nice place to do that, no resolution required. 

Thanks,

Laura

Hi Laura

After accepting a booking from someone who is bringing a pet, go to the Resolution Center, choose "request money" then choose the guest that will be paying the pet fee, and then enter the fee amount and reason for the request. This way the pet fee is agreed to and collected prior to check in. 

This has worked well for me. 

Ali

Tammy70
Level 3
Port Angeles, WA

We've been accepting pets for a year and charging a pet fee. But last two pet guests were horrendous shedders.  So we're thinking of adding a security deposit.  We expect some shedding, same as we expect from humans.  We charge a pet fee the same rate as an extra person.  But for prolific shedders, that fee is not enough.  As well, when guests are arriving same day - there is barely enough time to be ready.   So we're contemplating 1) having guests with pets to agree to parameters 2) charging the same pet fee as before 3) and asking for a cleaning deposit to cover costs if guests do not meet our paramenters.  Does anyone else charge a cleaning or security deposit for pet impacts?

I charge a pet fee also, I collect it along with the county lodging tax during their stay.  Yhe problem I am having is that some guests after agreeing to my dog rules (No dogs on the beds or furniture) disregard the rule and I am left with dog hair on my nice sheets and blankets after they leave.  I was told by Airbnb to leave feedback as to adding a line item on the reservation to include a security deposit for dog owners only.  The associate I spoke with said this is a common request and Airbnb might add it, if they receive the feedback from hosts.

Having an easy way of adding a pet fee is one of the most common topics since I have been on here.

Would be easy to do, do not believe that the Management are not aware, so presume there is a reason it has not been done and will not be done.

Heads up that you can not collect a fee for an Assitance Animal, and that the Security Deposit is very difficult to collect against, additional cleaning, well in reality the Guest would need to agree.

Best handled directly.

David

I allow pets in my place and have had a few problems.  I didn't, however, have any problem getting an extra $25 out of the regular security deposit when two guests with a dog left leaving a large pee puddle on my living room rug behind.  It took at least an extra hour of cleaning for me.  I wrote and asked them to send $25 more and they ignored my request.  I put in a request to AirBnB for the money from the security deposit and it arrived in my account very quickly without any further questions.

I DO think there should be two (simple?) changes in the AirBnB booking system.  One, people with pets need to let me know ahead of time.  If you have children with you, it shows up in the booking info.  If people have pets and don't mention it, they can show up without hosts having any idea they're coming with dogs or cats or ferrets or parrots.  I like to cover my couch in advance with a large sheet that's easier to deal with than the tightly zipped cushion covers.  There should be a box to check if people are checking in with pets and THAT should trigger an additional security deposit or an additional fee automatically, depending on what the host wants.  For example. people without pets, $75 per night plus cleaning fees.  People with pets, $75 per night PLUS an additional $20 cleaning fee and an extra $200 deposit to charge against if there is damage.  

I have a dog and I'm very aware of the need for and relief at places that accept dogs.  I also know that there is almost never a time I have someone with an animal stay in my rental that I don't need to spend extra time cleaning up hair, dog food, poop in the yard, etc.  I try to be EXTRA careful about my dog, but not everyone is.

Mary778
Level 2
Prineville, OR

I charge a $10/night/dog fee.  I tell the guest that I will collect that during their stay.  I have never had a problem with receiving the $$$.  I  usually leave an envelope with the amount due on the table and they will either pay me directly if I am around or leave it in the envelope.

I charge 100$ pro pet for the entire stay.After I called AIRBNB Host support ,they told me I can collect the pets fee when the guests arrive and this in cash and I never had problems.my listing says: please no dogs on beds ore furniture and when left alone please just in kennel.THIS NEVE HAPPEN.If my guests want to bring they dogs they have to pay.Is that simple 

Aurora52
Level 4
Miami, FL

AIRBNB say : guests with Asistance animals are free off charge( they do not have to show you any prove) witch is wrong .

Janet112
Level 2
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom

I've just started my dog friendly place but realised after hosting my first dog that there were dog hairs left all over the house and it took ages to clean. Am going to add a go fee now and am going to ask dog owners to hoover up after them.