Due to Covid, hosts need to know from where our guests are coming from

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

Due to Covid, hosts need to know from where our guests are coming from

I have instant booking to my listings, which work well for me,

But Airbnb MUST up their game to help Hosts.

We need to know from where guests are coming from especially now that some areas are located in a Teir 3 area.

Just having "Lives in England, United Kingdom" is not good enough. The other platform I use is booking.com which is much more Host orientated whereby I am given the guests home address as well as confirmed telephone number.

Come on AirBnB, raise your standards and start to protect your hosts. I should not have to constantly ask for guests area when Booking.com automatically furnishes me with the required info.

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Chris232 There is currently no legal issue with travel between areas in the UK. Would it be discrimination to stop Scousers visiting other parts of the country?

@Mike-And-Jane0 

In Australia there are not just travel/entry bans which are currently legally enforceable between states and territories, there are travel bans between areas within states. Travel permits and approvals are required which override any Airbnb rulings.

Airbnb would certainly be in breach of current laws here by encouraging a host to accept a reservation from a known hotspot area where legal movement restrictions apply.

The law of the land always comes first and Airbnb do need to look at this and provide some help here as a matter of urgency. If they penalised a host for obeying the law of the land in withholding location information, there could be legal repercussions for them!

I don't want to see Airbnb antognise government authorities into putting further restrictions on STR in this country but, by refusing to provide potential guest location details, they are sort of whacking the hornets nest a bit. If they don't cooperate a bit they could be doing themselves a lot of harm!

Cheers.......Rob

Alexandra199
Level 10
Gretton, United Kingdom

Totally agree with your question here, I have posed that question to Airbnb and still not had a response. 'Lives in England' is just not good enough. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Chris232 

It’s actually up to us as the business owner rather than the listing company to ensure we are in compliance with our government’s Covid legislation.

I just ask guests as part of my IB questions to confirm where they are coming from in the UK or  to check UK government guidance on whether they need to quarantine - obviously I don’t accept booking from those in quarantine areas for less than two weeks.

I also have a QR code for guests to use on check-in. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Chris232 @Helen3 @Alexandra199 @Robin4 @Mike-And-Jane0 

There's an interesting titbit doing the rounds from the BBC that regions Where the higher the Tier, previously & also known as Levels, that Governments or Councils get paid per head of population for each and every  day they are on that level and  in Lockdowns.

It's abhorrent behaviour to be dictated to by Non Elected persons, and that includes Scientists, and others who have not once walked in our shoes, nor are they legally qualified to be passing opinions abt our Private Lives, nor restricting our Freedom of Movement on filmsy assumptions using a blanket approach with AI .

Join the dots and write letters here, there and everywhere, including  to your Head of State, Governor Generals how you feel abt all this thrown under the train disruption to World Peace & Harmony.

It's overdue that whatever Covid19 is, is put into Proportion.

Frankly I don't think any of us ever asked to be thrown under trains by Software Programmers or those who are fixated by AI & out of touch with Humanity.

Julie64
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I totally agree with Chris 232 on this matter . Please Airbnb sort this out.

James213
Level 1
Central Coast, Australia

@Chris232 @Helen3 @Alexandra199 @Robin4 @Mike-And-Jane0 .@Julie64

We are in Central Coast NSW, Australia. We had been classified as the Greater Sydney area and were therefore included in the Greater Sydney covid lockdown. As of Monday the Central Coast is now classified as Regional NSW and therefore is subject to Regional NSW covid restrictions.

Greater Sydney has currently had their lockdown extended to the end of September but Regional NSW is currently having its lockdown lifted on August 27th. We therefore cannot accept bookings from anyone in the Greater Sydney area for the month of September (and their lockdown will very probably be extended again to October). How can we "manage" that without Airbnb displaying a Guests suburb.

@James213 If someone books, or requests to book, then ask them where they are coming from. If it is illegal for them come then, if the guest will not cancel, call Airbnb and get them to cancel the reservation.