Early Check-in/Late Check-Out

Answered!
Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

Early Check-in/Late Check-Out

I have been hosting for over a year now and I previously I have had a fairly lax approach to early check-in or late check-out. As long as guests checked and it was within 1-2 hours, I always said Sure No problem and happy to oblige. As I don't turn my room over the same day and have some flexibility to extend my guests. This only happened on rare occasion, though - most guests were really good about the times.

However, and I was wondering if others have seen this... in the last 2 months the amount of guests requesting early or late (often not even have appearing to read my check in/out times) has increased signficantly. I have had numerous guests just in the last month request a check-out time in the EVENING (like 7/8 pm)! vs the 11 am. 

I am sad to leave my lax policy in the dust, but as of today I am updating my rules to say if guestis requesting more than 2 hours on either end, it still has to be approved by me and is subject to an additional, reasonable fee.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this type of increase in non-chalantness toward check-in/out times??

1 Best Answer
Omar-and-Belinda0
Level 2
Cayman Islands

As a host, I am fairly relaxed with early/late check in as long as I know that I don't have bookings before and after. The reason for this, is becuase of my expereinces as both a Host and a Guest. I have personnally expereinced both sides of the requests.

My opinion as an AirBnB host, is that I am not a hotel. Therefore, if I am unable to provide a somewhat different experience for my guests (regarding this topic) then they may as well go to a hotel. Which is exactly what I will do (as a guest) in December en-route to Australia from LAX this year.

I tried to find an AirBnb property/host who might accommodate a late check-out, as we arrive in LA at 5pm and depart at 10pm the following day.  The best I was offered was a 2pm check-out, and don't get me wrong, I appreciate the offer greatly and so you know, I was more than willing to pay a little extra for the time. But, if AirBnB hosts view my booking as if it were a hotel, with hotel polices and stipulations, then I may as well stay in a hotel AND receive hotel amenities like:

1. Complimentary airport shuttle (very important to me to not have to fork out for a Taxi or Uber from the airport since I'm already paying what feels like a million bucks on my flights!)
  2. FREE hot buffet breakfast
  3. POOL - entertainment for my kids during our stay
  4. Restaraunt in the hotel where we can walk downstairs to go to or room service (some hotels)
  5. A shop or convenience section in the hotel that sells all manner of sometimes much needed item and snacks

What I'm trying to say here is that, I can get a few extra hours from the hotel, maybe even a bit longer for a price, and there are a number of 'hotel perks' that I wouldn't get staying with AirBnB so, are we as a AirBnB community selling ourselves as hotel 'homes', or are we an alternative accommodation industry willing to meet the 'real life' needs of customers that sets us apart from the hotel industry...?

Every host is different and far be it from me to dictate, but for me, I am willing to accommodate where I can and I'm betting this gets me quite a few more recommendations for a tiny bit of leeway...

#sometimeswearegueststoo!

View Best Answer in original post

57 Replies 57
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Valerie192

I would not recommend adding flexibility right into your listing. You have set your times, and that's what they are. By saying they can check in/out 1-2 hours later you are now saying those are your new check out times and invite further discussion into additional 1-2 hours, or whatever time they feel like checking in or out. Pick your time and if someone reaches out for exception, have pre-set pricing. For example, up to additional to hours $20, longer will need to book additional night. I have a template in my Airbnb messages that I use. You will make things much easier for yourself and fair to everyone.

Hi @Inna19 This is a good point and I hadn't thought about it from that perspective. I think I will make edits in my house rules accordingly so as to not send mixed messages. Thanks!

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Valerie192 @Inna22 Surely this is just a matter of common sense.  My check out time is 11am and my check in period is 3pm to 9pm.  I allow guests to leave their luggage in a room on the gound floor of my home if they have a late flight out of London as long as they have vacated their space by 11am.  If  a guest is arriving at Heathrow at 7am I allow them to drop off their luggage early but don't allow access to their room until 3pm.  As long as both host and guest communicate properly this is not a problem - I've been hosting for 3.5years now and not had any issues.  I would not dream of charging for this facility, I don't want to look like a rip-off merchant.

Agreed; although the context of many of these requests haven't been just luggage storage. I agree that is not a big deal at all. I have had people asking to come back and use the shower/eat dinner, etc. activities that involved using the premises well after check out time. And that is what I am trying to build in some safeguards against, or if it is happening that it is being compensated accordingly.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Rachel0 

I do not charge for luggage drop off and it is one of the options in my message- to drop off for free. But if they want physical access to the space, I charge for that. Mainly because it significantly shortens the amount of time I have to clean, if it is a few hours

@Valerie192

I have the same observations as you - more guests are asking for gratitude than a year before.

Therefore I have the same problem - and I am stll thinking what is right to do.

I read the HOTEL instructions on these metters and found out that hotels are charging for almost every kind of gratitude given - usually there is an hour gratitude given for check-out - although this is only in good and expensive hotels, check-in is between 12-3 p.m. , some hotels have a second check-in time  6-8 p.m. and they are charging for a later check-in. They are also taking a fee for leaving and keeping the luggage. They now have these special places where guests can do self-check-in and out, but I think that in this way they are paying even more than by the desk. 

I find your suggestion a good idea.

My most recent guest (this week) paid the additional $15 for late (evening) check out without any issues and I was happy to let her stay late as nobody was coming for another few days anyway so it was a win-win.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I would explain in the written rules that their prompt check out at 11 AM is necessary so that you can clean and prep the room for the next guest. Even if you don't have anyone booked, you might get a same day / last minue booking. August is high season. No time for shenannigans.

@Valerie192

I was just reading a post at a different online board I also frequent..... the majority of people there were basically saying "but don't ALL hotels and Airbnbs allow late check out till AT LEAST 4pm~ duh~ it would be bad for business if they didn't accomodate us (paying customers~)" - the inital post was a rant by someone who was upset because the hotel tried to charge her for a full night because she asked for a "late check out at 10pm" since her family was on a 1am flight and she had 2 children both under the age of 5. Everyone was telling her she can stay in the hotel room for free till 4pm then she can stay in the lobby till 10pm. 

Reconfirmed my belief that people will take advantage if they can.

Jennifer464
Level 4
Puntarenas Province, Costa Rica

Guests never think about the next guest who's checking in. If I allow my guest to leave their baggage till 5PM instead of 12PM and the next guest check's in at 3PM, my new guest could claim a safety issue since the old guests still have acess to the house. If guests want access to the house past a time that new guests could be there, they must book another day. If it's a couple of hours and it's just a bag or two, I allow them to leave it in the living room. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

The main difference between us and hotels though is that we have ONE room or space. We can not juggle guests between different rooms based on their arrival and departure preferences. If I let someone stay till 4, I lost a reservation for the next night. If I even let them stay till 1, there is no chance I can clean the space in time. A lot of guests just don’t think of it. Plus there is always that perception that since I am a human, not a business with a set of rules, I can be convinced or guilted into doing what they want. 

Queen. Thank u

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I would recommend looking at a few hotels - they charge for early checkin, late checkout and extra people big time. Some places will almost double the rate for two extra people (four instead of two). Take a look at the Wynn in LV and see pure capitalism at work...

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Valerie192

I don't think this is a new thing. Maybe you have just been lucky to avoid it until now. I have experienced these kinds of requests (often more demands than requests) the whole time I've been hosting in my home, which is two years now.

See this thread I started some time ago: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/How-can-I-stop-guests-ignoring-the-check-in-time/m-p/304...

I am now very strict about this. Guests cannot check in early except for the rare occasions when it suits my schedule better. I normally charge a fee for late check in (an extra £5 an hour after 9pm). Guests cannot check out late.

I don't do early luggage drops and generally don't let guests store luggage after check out anymore due to the problems described in the above thread, i.e. many guests taking advantage of this additional freebie and messing me around. I do let SOME guests store luggage here for a few hours after check out if they are very nice about it and it's not going to disrupt my schedule, but this is not something I will promise in advance.

There are some very inexpensive left luggage options available in London now, so I direct them to those and this seems to work with most guests. Some are very insistent though on dropping bags with me and will ask over and over again. They don't want to spend any extra money and want to store bags at my place because they see that as 'free'. They don't seem to realise that a return tube journey to drop/pick up bags is going to cost them the same as the left luggage but take them more time.

I would love to be more flexible (and am with super nice guests re leaving bags after check out), but have been messed around too many times. Now I stick to my guns on this issue. I don't care how many times someone asks me. I simply say no, no, sorry, not possible. It's all clearly stated on my listing/in my house rules/initial messages. If the guests don't like this, they should not have booked my listing.