Early Check-in/Late Check-Out

Answered!
Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

Early Check-in/Late Check-Out

I have been hosting for over a year now and I previously I have had a fairly lax approach to early check-in or late check-out. As long as guests checked and it was within 1-2 hours, I always said Sure No problem and happy to oblige. As I don't turn my room over the same day and have some flexibility to extend my guests. This only happened on rare occasion, though - most guests were really good about the times.

However, and I was wondering if others have seen this... in the last 2 months the amount of guests requesting early or late (often not even have appearing to read my check in/out times) has increased signficantly. I have had numerous guests just in the last month request a check-out time in the EVENING (like 7/8 pm)! vs the 11 am. 

I am sad to leave my lax policy in the dust, but as of today I am updating my rules to say if guestis requesting more than 2 hours on either end, it still has to be approved by me and is subject to an additional, reasonable fee.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this type of increase in non-chalantness toward check-in/out times??

1 Best Answer
Omar-and-Belinda0
Level 2
Cayman Islands

As a host, I am fairly relaxed with early/late check in as long as I know that I don't have bookings before and after. The reason for this, is becuase of my expereinces as both a Host and a Guest. I have personnally expereinced both sides of the requests.

My opinion as an AirBnB host, is that I am not a hotel. Therefore, if I am unable to provide a somewhat different experience for my guests (regarding this topic) then they may as well go to a hotel. Which is exactly what I will do (as a guest) in December en-route to Australia from LAX this year.

I tried to find an AirBnb property/host who might accommodate a late check-out, as we arrive in LA at 5pm and depart at 10pm the following day.  The best I was offered was a 2pm check-out, and don't get me wrong, I appreciate the offer greatly and so you know, I was more than willing to pay a little extra for the time. But, if AirBnB hosts view my booking as if it were a hotel, with hotel polices and stipulations, then I may as well stay in a hotel AND receive hotel amenities like:

1. Complimentary airport shuttle (very important to me to not have to fork out for a Taxi or Uber from the airport since I'm already paying what feels like a million bucks on my flights!)
  2. FREE hot buffet breakfast
  3. POOL - entertainment for my kids during our stay
  4. Restaraunt in the hotel where we can walk downstairs to go to or room service (some hotels)
  5. A shop or convenience section in the hotel that sells all manner of sometimes much needed item and snacks

What I'm trying to say here is that, I can get a few extra hours from the hotel, maybe even a bit longer for a price, and there are a number of 'hotel perks' that I wouldn't get staying with AirBnB so, are we as a AirBnB community selling ourselves as hotel 'homes', or are we an alternative accommodation industry willing to meet the 'real life' needs of customers that sets us apart from the hotel industry...?

Every host is different and far be it from me to dictate, but for me, I am willing to accommodate where I can and I'm betting this gets me quite a few more recommendations for a tiny bit of leeway...

#sometimeswearegueststoo!

View Best Answer in original post

57 Replies 57
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I doubt human nature has changed 'lately'; I have read about the 'abuse of flexible check-ins & outs' in Airbnb forums for years, here and elsewhere.

I do this, I set my check-out at 10am, check-in no earlier than Noon, because:

1. We only need 2 hours for turn-around, meaning be ready for next guest

2. Most mainland hotels have 11am as check out; most incoming guest that same day via plane arrive at 11:10am. Both be ready about Noon to then go our place.

3. The guests need 1 hr for grocery shopping.

4. We do not want to spend all day with the check-in & out process, if can help it.

5. We no longer change our policy 'on the fly' based on whether we do have a follow-up guest that day or not, it just leads to guests abusing the kind gesture.

Of course, every host faces a different reality, the above is but one example.

Jenny247
Level 2
Asturias, Spain

I ask guests to give me a 2 hour window for check in so that I can plan my day around it, but there is always a minimum of 2pm check in.  Check out is strict but as long as I can get in and clean the rooms  I allow them to hang around.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Valerie192

We are at the peak of high season and it brings many non-Airbnbers or those Airbnbers not loyal to the concept. I think that may be why we are seeing this bad behaviour.

We are also pricing super high, so guests may feel some entitlement or similiarity to a hotel.

Also, I am super busy, so I can't be nonchalent about checkin/out.

Most importantly, you can see that there are many  Superhosts that who are militant about checkout, yet still acheive this coveted status.

Why argue with success? Just join them and don't stress.

Mia93
Level 3
Manchester, United Kingdom

@Paul154 Talking about entitlement, we recently had two guests who checked in 2 hours after the stated check in time and thought they were naturally entitled for 2 hours more after the stated check out time. I totally agree with you and won’t stress about it.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Valerie192  I have a rental agreement they must sign. It includes this for check in and check out. I can deduct it at HA/VRBO, but I've had no luck enforcing it on AirBnB. AirBnB's own policy says 2 days. I was given $50:

• Check-In & Check-Out– Check-In is at 04:00PM and Check-Out is at 11:00AM. – Late check-out may be requested of Owner upon check-in, but is not guaranteed to be available. Without prior arrangement(s), via, verbal and/or written consent from the Owner, a LATE CHECKOUT OF LESS THAN ONE DAY WILL BE CHARGED THE EQUIVALENT OF ONE FULL DAY'S RENT. This charge will be deducted from your Security Deposit, unless other arrangements for payment have been made.

Mia93
Level 3
Manchester, United Kingdom

@Valerie192 I have the same feeling that more guests request early check in and late check out than before. I have a few properties to manage (average 15 mins driving from one to another). So I need to make sure everything is ready in each property. Time is very crucial to me. My check out time is 11am and check in is after 4pm. From time to time, guests think it doesn’t matter if they stay 1 or 2 hours more as the next guest will check in no early than 4 pm. So I charge £50 (this is 2 times of my normal nightly rate) late check out fee and it sounds very harsh but I think it is better than say no directly.

yes. i have people book and show up at my door within 1/2 hour. wanring to check in at 9am  and some as early as 7 am. 

when you decline early check in or tell somebodey to leave 4 hours after check out. they leave poor reviews, but fail ro mention their own behavior. 

ive given up on super host status.

I have a coded lock that I put the codes in for each guest and have had several guest decide on their on to just arrive.  This happened one day in March and I had it cleaned and ready but was using that time to do repairs that you don't want to do when a guest in attendance.  I didn't expect anyone in the apartment and opened the door to find them changing their clothes 4 hours prior to check-in.  Of course I was suprised and they were also, they apologized and said we thought it would be okay.  

I explained to them that the check-in time is set to make sure everything gets handled in between guest on the apartment and that we had things to do.  

I put in my check-in instruction big and bold at the top that Check-in is 3:00pm that has helped a bit but it would be nice for Airbnb to have a reminder to guest about check-in/out policies. 

I agree. Airbnb needs to make it more obvious to guests upon booking and also remind them prior to check-in so that hosts don't have to keep declining requests for early check-in or late check-out. It would be a simple fix for them and would save everybody a lot of headache.

Its out of control and I'm so sick of declining guests requests.

@Colette126  Add to this the new reports from hosts that it seems AirBnB is telling guests they can check in whenever they want on their reservations, which is causing many issues for hosts.  

Christina328
Level 2
Boston, MA

Hello!  We have been hosting for about a year and a half and I have found that guests do tend to ask for early check in particularly. We allow guests to store their luggage in the foyer until our check in time, which is between 4 and 9 PM, or until their evening flight when they check out, and this usually goes smoothly. Recently however we have had a number of guests who have had delayed, or cancelled flis ghts, and arrive very late-one guest even arriving at 2 AM! We go to bed early and get up early so this is quite an imposition, but what are you going to do if a guest is coming from another country and their flight is delayed?  I would love to hear how other hosts handle this situation. Thanks!

Yes, people are becoming increasingly entitled. They want to arrive at your home at midnight and are indignant that they have to pay an inconvenience fee, even though it’s clearly stated on the pre-booking page and in the house rules. It then becomes a real drag trying to request for your money via the Airbnb resolution Centre.

in the case if people coming from another country who had delayed flights, that’s quite different. That’s really beyond their control and I’d totally accommodate them.  

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

The good thing about those, who ask for early/late check in-out, is that they show their attitude towards established rules. No respect. So we already have a red flag. I have very late check in time and permanently get inquiries and even IB asking or even stating that they arrive at 11 -14 am. Happy for them but I learned the lesson. Just walk nicely in the town till 9. But I will think about till what time I’m ready to accept guests. The last one arrived at 5.30 am. Not his fault but still... 

Omar-and-Belinda0
Level 2
Cayman Islands

As a host, I am fairly relaxed with early/late check in as long as I know that I don't have bookings before and after. The reason for this, is becuase of my expereinces as both a Host and a Guest. I have personnally expereinced both sides of the requests.

My opinion as an AirBnB host, is that I am not a hotel. Therefore, if I am unable to provide a somewhat different experience for my guests (regarding this topic) then they may as well go to a hotel. Which is exactly what I will do (as a guest) in December en-route to Australia from LAX this year.

I tried to find an AirBnb property/host who might accommodate a late check-out, as we arrive in LA at 5pm and depart at 10pm the following day.  The best I was offered was a 2pm check-out, and don't get me wrong, I appreciate the offer greatly and so you know, I was more than willing to pay a little extra for the time. But, if AirBnB hosts view my booking as if it were a hotel, with hotel polices and stipulations, then I may as well stay in a hotel AND receive hotel amenities like:

1. Complimentary airport shuttle (very important to me to not have to fork out for a Taxi or Uber from the airport since I'm already paying what feels like a million bucks on my flights!)
  2. FREE hot buffet breakfast
  3. POOL - entertainment for my kids during our stay
  4. Restaraunt in the hotel where we can walk downstairs to go to or room service (some hotels)
  5. A shop or convenience section in the hotel that sells all manner of sometimes much needed item and snacks

What I'm trying to say here is that, I can get a few extra hours from the hotel, maybe even a bit longer for a price, and there are a number of 'hotel perks' that I wouldn't get staying with AirBnB so, are we as a AirBnB community selling ourselves as hotel 'homes', or are we an alternative accommodation industry willing to meet the 'real life' needs of customers that sets us apart from the hotel industry...?

Every host is different and far be it from me to dictate, but for me, I am willing to accommodate where I can and I'm betting this gets me quite a few more recommendations for a tiny bit of leeway...

#sometimeswearegueststoo!

@Omar0and Belinda why not booked an extra day if u have a late departure flight ?

When i have a flight over 9pm i always book another extra day. I never saw a hotel in Sydney over 11am without paying any fees, usaully hotel let u stay for small fees till 1pm and after if u wish to extend over 1pm paid extra again if hotel have spare room.  I always feel is dyhonest asking any host to change their rule to accomodate 1 guest request.