Early Check-in/Late Check-Out

Answered!
Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

Early Check-in/Late Check-Out

I have been hosting for over a year now and I previously I have had a fairly lax approach to early check-in or late check-out. As long as guests checked and it was within 1-2 hours, I always said Sure No problem and happy to oblige. As I don't turn my room over the same day and have some flexibility to extend my guests. This only happened on rare occasion, though - most guests were really good about the times.

However, and I was wondering if others have seen this... in the last 2 months the amount of guests requesting early or late (often not even have appearing to read my check in/out times) has increased signficantly. I have had numerous guests just in the last month request a check-out time in the EVENING (like 7/8 pm)! vs the 11 am. 

I am sad to leave my lax policy in the dust, but as of today I am updating my rules to say if guestis requesting more than 2 hours on either end, it still has to be approved by me and is subject to an additional, reasonable fee.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this type of increase in non-chalantness toward check-in/out times??

1 Best Answer
Omar-and-Belinda0
Level 2
Cayman Islands

As a host, I am fairly relaxed with early/late check in as long as I know that I don't have bookings before and after. The reason for this, is becuase of my expereinces as both a Host and a Guest. I have personnally expereinced both sides of the requests.

My opinion as an AirBnB host, is that I am not a hotel. Therefore, if I am unable to provide a somewhat different experience for my guests (regarding this topic) then they may as well go to a hotel. Which is exactly what I will do (as a guest) in December en-route to Australia from LAX this year.

I tried to find an AirBnb property/host who might accommodate a late check-out, as we arrive in LA at 5pm and depart at 10pm the following day.  The best I was offered was a 2pm check-out, and don't get me wrong, I appreciate the offer greatly and so you know, I was more than willing to pay a little extra for the time. But, if AirBnB hosts view my booking as if it were a hotel, with hotel polices and stipulations, then I may as well stay in a hotel AND receive hotel amenities like:

1. Complimentary airport shuttle (very important to me to not have to fork out for a Taxi or Uber from the airport since I'm already paying what feels like a million bucks on my flights!)
  2. FREE hot buffet breakfast
  3. POOL - entertainment for my kids during our stay
  4. Restaraunt in the hotel where we can walk downstairs to go to or room service (some hotels)
  5. A shop or convenience section in the hotel that sells all manner of sometimes much needed item and snacks

What I'm trying to say here is that, I can get a few extra hours from the hotel, maybe even a bit longer for a price, and there are a number of 'hotel perks' that I wouldn't get staying with AirBnB so, are we as a AirBnB community selling ourselves as hotel 'homes', or are we an alternative accommodation industry willing to meet the 'real life' needs of customers that sets us apart from the hotel industry...?

Every host is different and far be it from me to dictate, but for me, I am willing to accommodate where I can and I'm betting this gets me quite a few more recommendations for a tiny bit of leeway...

#sometimeswearegueststoo!

View Best Answer in original post

57 Replies 57

Also remember that in an hotel, they’d probably pay at least 3x the price you’re charging per night for AirBnB plus huge fees and taxes too. I’m my opinion, a 10:00pm check out, is almost a whole extra day!

if I were a guest, I’d gladly pay it and relax properly before my flight. C’mon, from 11:00am till 10:00pm at night, that’s a whole 11 hours extra! They can’t honestly expect a host to just eat the costs. It’s a business not a shelter. 

Linda468
Level 2
England, GB

I let my guests know that they need to be out by 10am unless they have specifically agreed a later time with me. It’s on a note by the door and guests now mostly contact me to discuss times rather than just ignoring the 10am house rule. It means we have the conversation so if I can accommodate a later checkout I do but if not I explain why and reiterate the importance of them being punctual. 

I have been failry lax in my check in / check out times... I even say so in my welcome communication with the guests... There's always someone present in the house so it's a not a hassle. That may not be the case for most hosts...

My listings are faily slow (so slow it almost snoozes itself sometimes), so I may be an enabler here... I have set my turn over times as two days which gives me ample time to get the room ready... 

I always have a welcome letter for my guests, with bullet points for the really important things they should know.  

I also have a binder with detailed house rules printed and I leave this binder in the room.

I send all my guests a message to read the house rules and make sure they resond that they have read it. I highlight the points that are important for me: like NO Shoes in side the house, no eating in the room,  no other uninvited guests allowed.. etc then I enourage them to read the rest before they chek in....

Maybe you can do the same and highlight the strict check in and check out times.

Before check out, like the night before their check out, I leave another letter with chocolates, in their room thanking my guests for letting me host them. 

Maybe this might be a great time to make a letter and make it in BIG BOLD LETTERS: YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR AN EXTRA DAY IF YOU STAY XXXX NUMBER OF HOURS AFTER <insert check out time > and slip it under their dooor (just like hotels do)

After they check out, I send them a text of that I have given them a review in Airbnb and in turn they can review me. 

my $0.02

@Florence-And-Michael0  out of interest, by hosting, are you aiming to make a profit, help pay bills/a mortgage, or just bring in a small amount of extra cash from a spare room and aren't too fussed about how many bookings you get?

I ask because, unless it is the latter, I don't see how letting guests check in as early/check out as late as they like and then blocking your calendar for two days for each turnover makes any sense. Sure, it is probably much less stressful than having to rush to get the room ready and less stressful to have to keep telling guests, "Sorry, no," but if you are in this as any kind of business, I think you might consider reducing your turnover to one day. You would still be able to offer flexibility with check in/out and have time to get the room ready (depending on your other commitments), but could increase bookings substantially over the course of the year.

Of course, you know best what works for you and every host has to make their own choice RE time v money. In my case, I do have guests checking in and out the same day (sometimes for more than one of my rooms), so I have to be strict about check in/out times, but I also don't accept one night bookings because they are not worth the stress. I would rather have the rooms empty a night here and there thn to go through all that cleaning, laundry, correspondence, check in and tour just for one night's revenue.

Michon2
Level 2
Saint Paul, MN

Hello - I just had a similar experience hosting. My guest rented Friday check-in through a Tuesday check-out. My check-in is 3pm and check-out is 11am. She informed me she would be arriving at midnight on Friday, and asked would that be okay to check-in...I automatically assumed, (my mistake), since she booked Friday though Tuesday, that she meant she would be arriving late Friday night. I said no problem. When she arrived at 2am Friday morning, a full 13 hours early, I was surprised to be woken by her phone call that she could not get in the unit. Thankfully I did not have another guest booked for Thursday night! I decided to let that go as a misunderstanding, but was irked that she basically got a night for free. She stayed the fours additional nights, and when 11am Tuesday came and went, I was surprised that I did not see her leaving on the exterior security cameras. I kept watch, (I was at work at the time), and finally saw her leaving the unit at 4PM!!! A full 5 hours after check-out, and she did not even ask me to leave late. I was furious...and when I arrived home I found the unit o be the messiest I have ever found it... and that is out of about 90-100 bookings. She also left the lights on and the TV on. There was garbage and dishes everywhere.

My hope is that someone can give me advice on how I can effectively charge her for another night, or for the cleaning. I know I can request funds from her, but that doesn't mean she will pay. Is a bad review the only course of action that I have? Like I said, I have been doing this for almost two years, and I have never had a more rude or messy guest. And just for the record, I do not charge a cleaning fee, which has mostly resulted in respectful people who appreciate that fact and clean up after themselves. Please respond if you have any advice for how to handle this situation. Thank you and happy hosting to you all!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

In your situation @Michon2  I would have explained to her that she had not booked for the Thursday night when she woke you up at 2.00 a.m. in the morning and that you could make the place available to her, but that she would need to pay for that night.  Sadly,  as you didn't mention the extra charge when you agreed to let her stay, you can't retrospectively ask for it.

Unfortunately sometimes when you are flexible with a guest, they then walk all over you.

In terms of the check out, I presume you have your check out clearly shown in your check out rules/in your guest book at your listing as well as on the listing itself? . (personally I always check with guests the night before to confirm their plans for check out to avoid any confusion).

Airbnb I believe have something in their T&Cs where you can charge guests if they stay beyond the agreed check out time at time and a half or something. (Have a look at their Help centre to find the clause or give them a call.) I would charge her for the five hours that she stayed beyond your check out.

If you have a cleaner get an invoice for the additional cleaning and claim for that too. (take photos/video)

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Thanks @Helen3  - yes, I do have my check-in/out times clearly listed both on my listing and in my house manual. I do communicate with guests prior to checking in on their expected arrival time, but unfortunately I misunderstood her intent. I take ownership in my part of the confusion regarding the interpretation of her inital request to check-in at midnight. Lesson learned!

I think I will start messaging guests the night before check-out as well. I usually try to leave my guests be, but after this occurance, I think this is a must. That way they cannot play dumb about the check-out, and I will have written proof that they were made aware. 

Yes, she definitely took advantage, and walked all over us. I won't be so flexible and understanding should something like this ever happen again.

I did contact Airbnb support, and got a lot of good advice that I am taking to heart. I updated my listing to reflect a charge for unapproved late check outs. Hopefully this will discourage guests for trying to do this without permission in the future. As for this situation, I think there is likely nothing I can do, except the bad review I have already left her. At least I can rest easy in knowing that other hosts will get a fair warning about her before they accept a reservation from her.

I appreciate everyone's help on this! Airbnb Community is fantastic, and I am so grateful for the support. I hope I can help someone in the future 🙂 Michon 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks to everyone that helped @Michon2 here! 

It's great to see your positivity shine through when dealling with a difficult scenario. We're all looking forward to see more of you on the community with more happier stories to share!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Unfortunately it sounds as if you have been badly advised by customer services. You don't need to list a charge for late check outs. Airbnb already have this in their T&Cs.

That's why I advising you that you could charge your guest for late check out.

8.2.2 You agree to leave the Accommodation no later than the checkout time that the Host specifies in the Listing or such other time as mutually agreed upon between you and the Host. If you stay past the agreed upon checkout time without the Host's consent (“Overstay”), you no longer have a license to stay in the Accommodation and the Host is entitled to make you leave in a manner consistent with applicable law. In addition, you agree to pay, if requested by the Host, for each twenty-four (24) hour period (or any portion thereof) that you Overstay, an additional nightly fee of up to two (2) times the average nightly Listing Fee originally paid by you to cover the inconvenience suffered by the Host, plus all applicable Guest Fees, Taxes, and any legal expenses incurred by the Host to make you leave (collectively, "Overstay Fees"). Overstay Fees for late checkouts on the checkout date that do not impact upcoming bookings may be limited to the additional costs incurred by the Host as a result of such Overstay. If you Overstay at an Accommodation, you authorize Airbnb (via Airbnb Payments) to charge you to collect Overstay Fees. A Security Deposit, if required by a Host, may be applied to any Overstay Fees due for a Guest’s Overstay.

Best - clarification /advice.

thank you, Helen.

@Helen3

Where is the link to this rule on Airbnb? My high volume (literally 45,000+ only on Airbnb in the last 4 years) business is handled by myself an my 1 employee. We are losing our minds handling the pushy demands for free early check in and late checkout. I have not added special charges because sometimes I need to say NO it is impossible! Even when I explain to guests the exact reality of a maid driving into our downtown to turnover a home between 11-3 they still abuse and threaten me for saying no to their request. Seems "the customer is always right" means that our rules are pointless! Explaining what another human is going through trying to do their work means zero to a strong willed guest who wants their child to nap, wants to "freshen up" for their conference, get dressed for their rehearsal dinner, etc. before 3pm. Every guest thinks their reason is special. Nobody wants to pay. I have been reviewed poorly for saying no many times. It is a horrible situation.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would imagine unless they have changed their T&C for this - it is where I quoted it in my response to @Michon2 

It's at 8.2.2 in their T&Cs. @Mary419 

Sounds like you need to tighten up on your check in/check out times and  if you are running at 10,000 bookings a year, you probably want to consider investing in an additional staff member for your property management business.

Kevin1056
Level 6
Los Angeles, CA

I Charge $20 Luggage Drop-off and I charge $75 to $100 early check-in fee.

if I dont have a check-out that day then I am somewhat flexible. 

Angel320
Level 2
United Kingdom

Hi,

I just hosted few guests lately ( been a super host for a year now) and noticed that they had the options to change their check times, despite my set up in my check-in settings.

I have set up my check-in times to 2 pm, and check-out to 12 noon. Despite this, few guests have managed to still alter their times, and informed me they had an option to do this upon booking. Initially I was just ignoring it, because  it wasn't a problem then, as I managed to explain my side. Until lately, one guest argued her way in, because she managed to alter her check in times upon booking, and air bnb managed to confirm the booking.  Now this guest was adamant and informed me that she has received an e mail from air bnb that she can check in at 1 pm, and check out at 3 pm.

I was a bit caught off guard. Because as far as I know, I set up my check in and out accordingly to the settings I wanted, yet, guests can still alter it.  Have I done something wrong, or missed something on my settings? I'm a bit puzzled, because it seemed like my settings were overriden.

I'm just windering if anyone of you guys have experienced same scenario like I did? Any views, comments and advice are pretty much welcome. 

Thank You

Angel

@Angel320, I also wonder why it is possible for guests to state arrival time far from the time that is in the listing. Few days ago I got a request that stated they arrive in between 3-5 pm. My check in time is from 8 pm, “late arrivals” is the first phrase in the title! For sure I suggested them to look for other accommodation. I would be very happy if Airbnb will put new filter that allows guests to choose by time of check in/out! It will be great for guests and hosts