Early arrival/late check-out & leaving luggage early/late

Ryan27
Level 5
Washington, DC

Early arrival/late check-out & leaving luggage early/late

Hello Fellow Airbnb Hosts,

I've been hosting for a bit over a year and a half and have a frequent issue at my listing that is a full-home, 3 bedrooms, which attracts families and groups of friends.  The majority ask for early check-in and leaving luggage even earlier and late check-out and leaving luggage even later!  I'd say it's a bit of a logistical nightmare since I have same-day turnover with no more than 5 hours and much less with this issue to flip an entire house, let alone anything going wrong, and it's frustrating for the maid too to have little time to do so much and with lots of luggage/people around when dropping off/picking up.  I know my check-out of 10am is early so I'm thinking of going to 11am but wondering if guests will then just ask to stay even longer and check-in is 3pm so I'm thinking of making it 4pm.  Or leave it as it is, let them ask, and they feel they got an hour?  But then they still want to leave luggage earlier and later.  Even though I've added language about being firm on this due to logistics and offering where they can pay for luggage storage, it's being asked just as much and I have a hard time saying no because I fear losing the booking.  Do I just have to say NO to everyone or if not, deal with this constant difficult issue?  I'm wondering what others do about this.  Thanks so much!

Elizabeth 

17 Replies 17

I have a rental agreement that I make everyone sign. In red writting I state that there are no early/late check in/out's without being subject to a $50/hour fee deducted from their damage deposit. I have 11am check out and 3 pm check in. This usually stops many guests from een asking anymore. I still do get it once and a while but I tell them if it doesnt interupt with other guests that day then I may allow it but that would be a last minute message to them. 

Sab-And-Vas0
Level 5
New York, NY

Hi Ryan,

Checked your listing and don't see anything in the house rules etc about check in and check out times! Step number one would be to be firm in the listing, that way you have something to bolster you when you are firm in personal communication. 

Our check out is also 11am, but depending on arriving guests we actually prefer a check out of 10:30, or can acommodate a check out as late as 3pm. We chose 11am because 10am got sigificantly more "can we check out later?", and this way we can be generous and message them the night before to say "you are welcome to check out as late as 12pm if you need!" which makes guests feel great even if they don't need the extra time. We also have a luggage storage place we recommend, and if you share that info that's going above and beyond.

Bottom line is, yes it's a great idea to set a check in time that is slightly generous and then follow up with being clear in your rules and FIRM in saying no to requests! Your sanity and the following guest's experience is not worth an extra hour or two!

Thank you for your valuable input.  It's odd that you don't see check-in/check-out times because they are set on the listing and show up every time I look.  That is odd.  Hmmmm, thanks for bringing that up and I truly appreciate your feedback.

Hey Ryan,

The times are there automatically as with every listing. I am suggesting you repeat the times and add that they are firm in your house rules as well. Since it's been an issue repeated messaging will help bring the point home. Good luck!
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Ryan27, I would not allow people to leave luggage and make this clear in your description. You are not obliged to let them do this and  it is causing you a headache on changeover.

and this is exactly why we wont be able to use AirBnB.  We fly into Paris at 6am...we should be in the city by 8am...check in....maybe 3pm?  Are we supposed to tote luggage around for 7hours?

I realize it's a logistical issue for owners, but it's a nightmare for travelers too.  And it means we have to

stay at a hotel, instead of an AirBnB.   If I was an AirBnB host, I'd figure out a way to make accommodations.

Amy55
Level 2
Vestal, NY

In my opinion, too many take advantage of us. Just say No!
Jen34
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I recently added a third room in my house to my Airbnb listings.  I used to have no problem hanging on to luggage for my guests, but now with the increase in traffic, it's really difficult and adds more work and means I have to be available to meet guests for a much larger window of time each day.  It's a service I would like to be able to offer, but I'm not interested in working harder for free.  Has anyone tried to charge for a service like that?  And if so, how much is reasonable?

Hi Jen,

I can see it's been a while since you posted this and I was just doing some research on the subject.

A lot of new concepts has arrived come to rescue Airbnb-hosts for issues like this. Maybe try and search for luggage storage concepts in your city, and you will probably find some. They use local shops to store the luggage. 

To name a few:

- LuggageHero (New York (100+), London (80 locations), and Copenhagen)

- BagBnB (London (15), Milano (80) and more cities)

- Nannybag (Paris (100+) and London (20))

But there are new concepts on the way all the time. They are often cheap and there are many of them

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

I think it somewhat depends on your space. For me, 10am is a bit too early to get up, do a quick breakfast, get packed and tidy up.  Which would mean I would have to get packed the night before. If it’s a vacation spot, then that pretty much ruins my last night. For a business listing, not as big of an issue. 

I cant help with the luggage thing as that’s not a common need in my space as this is mostly a drive to destination. I will say that one of the things that has stressed me out on my own travels, especially flying in to big cities, was how to deal with luggage when flights are such that I have free time to sightsee but don’t have my room to store my stuff. I remember a trip to London where I was almost in tears trying to make it to a meeting outside the city, but had no way to store luggage for a week long trip, so had to negotiate multiple trains during rush hour, tired from the overseas flight and worried I’d miss the appointment, etc. If I would have had a way to deal with that issue through my accommodations I’d have been a fan for life! I would have happily paid a luggage storage fee of some sort. 

If you could come up with a way for your guests to store luggage without interfering with your turnover process it could be a big winner for your listing. 

My listing states that 10 am check out is sharp, unless otherwise communicated/approved. A lot of guests still ignore this.. and leave between 10 and 11 (or even after 11).  I usually don't care, and 90% of the time if a guest asks if later is ok I say it totally is.

That said I've also had guests complain it was really early, even though they didn't ask (and could have checked out later). 

Fiona319
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Fellow hosts,

About dropping bags early and leaving bags late, if there's a changeover either side of booking I charge £20 as an 'extra service' - guest has to 'accept' it and it's added to their payment if it's before checkin and from same source if after checkin.  Seems to work OK and guests more than happy, even offer to, to pay an extra charge for leaving bags. I always make it clear bags have to be stored out of way of cleaners - I warn the cleaners too.

I also tell them about rail station luggage drop in city centre.  Other times I add the bag charge to 'change reservation' and add it to 'total payment', but this can be difficult to work out because I don't always understand the Airbnb's service charges.

Patricia1091
Level 2
Stratham, NH

I would say, due to previous issues, we no longer do this. I feel people will not understand what we are trying to complete on our side. It’s not only disrespecting us, but other guests as well. I have started to include” even though our check in is at 3pm, I’d still like a general idea” (when arrival is) I also have a few little signs around the house saying, thank you for coming, our check out it 11 so we can get ready for the next guests. So far it’s working out! Good luck!

I was laid back with check out time until one entitled madam was still in her bedroom charging up her electronic devices......30 mins ok, 1 hour bearable than at 11:30a I knocked on her door and told her to leave as I was leaving for a doctors appointment at the local hospital 12 mi,es away......

Now my check in is very strictly not earlier than 16:00 hours.

Checkout is before 10:00 hours plus breakfast is between the hours of 8:00 hours and 8:30 hours, that gives the guests enough time to get fed, and away!