Early arrivals

Cindi0
Level 7
Bowen Island, Canada

Early arrivals

I am growing increasingly weary of some guests' expectations. Lately (as in right now) it's about arrival. The lisiting details and confirmation are clear that check-in is at 3pm. In addition, I send my own 'Confirmation' message (highlighting the important details that I'm sure people didn't read) after the booking is confirmed, plus an 'Arrival' message regarding parking and check-in. My current guest did not respond to any of the messages. I was just getting ready to call her when I finally got a text...at 10:30am, saying they were "on their way"! I responded saying, "That's great. I will see you anytime after 3pm". She replied, "what is the earliest we can check in?" I replied, "anytime after 3pm is fine". Then I gave them some suggestions for things to do (I live on an island and it's a beautiful day). Cleaning and preparing, floors washed, soaps/shampoos, etc filled, hot tub vacuumed.. and I look outside at 2:30pm to see them in the driveway. I am writing this now, at 6 minutes to 3pm, at which time I will answer the door. This is SO annoying (mostly becuase it isn't the first time I've had people just expect to show up in the morning). 

56 Replies 56
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Cindi0 you will get many more of those unfortunately 🙂 Try not to get upset because early check-ins and late check outs are the most common thing you will have to deal with. Your approach is fine, you are clear about the time from the beginning, they can stay in front of my house the whole day if they don't have anything smarter to do ( which they shold have since they are on vacation and probably want to use every moment of it) 

Cindi0
Level 7
Bowen Island, Canada

Yes, I know. It's just frustrating when the information is clear. I have other guests arriving Monday, and they let me know they have no food conditions. Well, that's great to know, but I only serve breakfast on weekends. I really wish people would read the information in the listing. 

So my lovely ladies have now checked in, and decided now was a good time to inform me that one is gluten free and the other is dairy free. This is something I ask in my confirmation email. I just told them that I would have needed that information earlier so I guess one of them goes without a muffin, and the other goes without yogurt! <sigh>

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Cindi0 

Your listing doesn't say breakfast is only served at the weekend, it would be better to remove the amenity or guests can request a refund if its not available during the week.

Cindi0
Level 7
Bowen Island, Canada

Where are you reading that? In my listing I have all details in my House Manual, and it says: 

Breakfast: *** ON WEEKENDS ONLY*** A light, Continental breakfast served at 9am, or at an alternate time discussed. Please advise if you choose to dine out for breakfast.

------

Where are you reading otherwise? 

Cindi0
Level 7
Bowen Island, Canada

Oh, I see... you are reading it in Amenities. There is no option there to provide details. I indicate it clearly in the listing details - in capital letters - and I reduce my weekday rate accordingly. 

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Cindi0  Its not mentioned in listing details or house rules, Its not enforcable if its mentioned after a guest books. I can't find it in capitals on your listing below.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/5019593?

"I serve a light Continental breakfast for you to enjoy at your leisure, or there are many local restaurants that offer breakfast."

Cindi0
Level 7
Bowen Island, Canada

Hi Jeff - what I quoted above was cut & paste directly from my House Manual on my Listings page. And I didn't just write it this morning; it's been there ever since I opened my calendar to weekdays 2 months ago. I do see, however, what you are quoting. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cindi0 

Hey Cindi, I understand what you are saying but I have just had a look at your listing and I am afraid I do have to agree with @Jeff158  here as far as  your breakfast description is concerned.

Click on the screenshot to expand it.......

Breakfast supplied..png

It is a well known problem with hosting Cindi, that guests do not read a description from end to end. They will skim the information. They are most interested in the pictures (and yours are great, very homely and a real rural retreat feel) )  and if it's available.

House rules are something they might eventually get to, but many don't!

What I think you should do is remove Breakfast from your amenities and replace it with 'Cooking basics' which infers that they will have a kettle and a microwave and maybe a toaster. You can leave your, (In Tabs)  breakfast description in your House rules but, at least that way you will clear up the possible confusion!

Just my thoughts.

Cheers.....Rob

Cindi0
Level 7
Bowen Island, Canada

Hmmm... I can see where there can be some confusion. The Amenities listing does not give me the option of clarifying. I'm quite hestitant to say "cooking basics". I have had many, many guests show up expecting to cook. I don't want people here who are expecting to cook. I think I should remove Breakfast from the Amenities, and/or simply offer breakfast every day. It's just confusing. Thank you both for your feedback (we got derailed onto breakfast, when I started this thread about early arrival! LOL). 

PS... Does nobody see my House Manual? This is where it is clearly laid out (in caps) that breakfast is on weekends only (see below).

Cindi0
Level 7
Bowen Island, Canada

Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 7.28.39 PM.png

@Cindi0 The House Manual is not available to guests until AFTER they have booked. It should include need to know in residence items, but nothing that would have been part of their decision making process to either stay (or not) with you.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cindi0 

Hi again Cindi, No, your house manual does not show up on your listing description.

In fact with recent changes to the reservation layout, no specific information is disclosed to guests until a couple of days before the stay is to commence. Airbnb have done this because too many hosts were complaining guests were cancelling a confirmed reservation with sensitive information still in their possession which was putting hosts properties at risk!

You have to disclose what you offer in your listing description, and on your listing page the opportunity will be given to you in one of 5 sections....

'Amenities'.

'Read more about the space'.

'Profile'.

'Neighbourhood'

'Policies/House Rules'.

The only information a prospective guests sees about your property is what I condensed into that screenshot!

You can choose to send confirmed guests your house manual but, is not something guests will automatically see until they arrive at your property and it's too late to spring alterations to your listing description on them then!

It's wise to spell this out Cindi because misconceptions are what leads to guests wanting a refund...and that just creates pain for everyone!

Cindi, please don't think these are criticisms of you, they are not, we are just trying to help!

Cheers.....Rob

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

The guest can't read your House Manual until AFTER they've booked.   You can't hide information like this in the House Manual, it needs to be accessible before they book.

Hi @Cindi0 🙂

If you only offer breakfast during weekends I agree with the rest. I would not tick the breakfast box.

Best, Sandra