Early check in and late checkout

Early check in and late checkout

I seek support for the ability to automate early check in and late checkout . Currently there is no facility to charge a guest for these specific requests except charging then an additional day which they would usually not buy .

There should be a button we Or the guest  can press if they seek   and early check-in or late check out which will automatically bill them a half day rate. Rather than engaging in a conversation as to whether they can or can’t have this early or late check-in, they should simply be able to press the button and we should simply be able to accept or decline the request. If we declined the request that’s the end of the matter. If we accept the request , the guest is automatically billed half a day charge .

At the moment we are losing a lot of money acccepting early and late check outs on a complimentary basis just to obtain a favourable review. Guests should be trained to start paying for these benefits.

Please support this idea !

9 Replies 9
Clay29
Level 3
Houston, TX

I understand the sentiment but for me it's on a case-by-case basis depending on what I am doing (usually work)  and who is coming. It assumes most hosts are capable of always accepting early check-ins or late check-outs.  As an option, I see it would be another way to weed out the small time hosts in favor of large providers more capable of handling this and it would probably end up at least a soft requirement if you ever want to show up in typical searches again.

Thanks for your thoughts !  I believe we should be able to handle it on a case by case basis  as you suggest ( and as we are already doing ) however I woudl also like an optional  facility to automate the process so that there is minimal or no negotiation about the cost side of things . Guests should have the option to automate the request.. for example the host could select  as part of the booking process something like :

This host allows early check in / late checkout at the rate of $x per hour/ flat fee

1. Do you seek an early check in ? Yes/ No

2. Press the request early check in button

3. The Host then responds to the request

@Clay29 I think @Ash38 was suggesting we did it on a case by case basis.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Ash38 it's a good idea but I have to agree with @Clay29 that this would only work for some hosts and leans more towards the commercial type properties. Your checkin/checkout time is absolutely reasonable so it sounds like you need to set some boundaries with your guests. Guests don't expect this of hotels so why should they expect it of Airbnbs? Just politely say no, that the cleaner needs time to clean the apartment between guests. Or you could put in your listing that early check in/late checkout will attract a half-day charge and send a special offer (cumbersome I realise). 

Thanks for your thoughts Kath. My point is that there should be an option to automate the process shoudl the host wish. One main advantage of airbnb is the convenience of not having to negotiate , discuss or collect money. I would like a facility to be able to standardize early check in/ late checkout requests without having to engage in discussions with the guest and deal with disappointment or unpleasant exchanges.

For example the host could select  as part of the booking process something like :

This host allows early check in / late checkout at the rate of $x per hour/ flat fee

3. The Host then responds to the request

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Ash38   How many extra hours would you say people are requesting (either to come early or stay late)? 

It's very rare that a guest asks me for early checkin/late checkout, and when they do it's only 1-2 hour difference. I personally would not charge my guests any extra fee for that since its only 1-2 hours and does not really effect my day. 

If you are looking to charge for that you can always use the "request money" function and request the guest change the time they are coming by editing their reservation time. I think that would work? 

Thanks for your response Kaylee.  The requests I receive are usually for 4 hours or more on either side of the check in and checkout times. It usually happens because guests want to tailor arrival and departure to their fight times.

I dont favour the ' request money ' option you have suggested as it is the subject of negotiation and can get unpleasant. The whole attraction of airbnb to me is the ability to avoid money discussions.

I have suggested that we should have an optional  facility to automate the process so that there is minimal or no negotiation about the cost side of things . Guests too should have the option to have the benefit of an automated the request.. for example the host could select  as part of the booking process something like :

3. The Host then responds to the request and the guest gets automatically charged if they wish

It should be such that the  guest can use this facility at any time during the booking .

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Ash38 

what you suggest would be reasonable as it would provide a certain level of control towards hosts- but this would be up to the Airbnb development team. 

We have decided to stop early check in/ late check outs as it generally just throws our days off. Upon sending check in information we explain this and mention the use of luggage holding companies, eg Stasher (available in Sydney) who will hold your luggage. 

To further accommodate this we do not release check in code until when then house is ready so they cannot physically get into the house.

i imagine this does nothing to help you with your concern for losing money but it would at least help from a logistics stand point. 

Good luck to you. 

Yadira 🙂

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ash38 I think its a great idea.

We used to get A LOT of early check-in requests until I put in our listing that we can only approve them if there is no guest the previous day.

Since then I've only had one. Some people just skimp on their booking when they should really book the previous day.

This idea would help us.