Early guest check out?

Early guest check out?

Our guest checked out unexpectedly 2 nights early.  Our cancellation policy is "Flexible" but I'm not sure what the policy is telling me.  It says that it will waive all accomodation fees 24 hours after the check out.  How I'm interpreting this:  His original checkout was Friday and he notified us on Wednesday that he was checking out.  Does this mean he still gets charged for Wednesday but gets refunded for Thursday?

Any help parsing this appreciated.

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @John ,

If the guest cancels his reservation, calculation of refunding will be done automatically based on cancellation policy. In read from your posting the guest did not cancel his reservation yet ?

He should do this asap, otherwise he will not have any refund at all.

Best regards, Emiel

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

It doesn't matter when guests inform you of checkout or intent to cancel. Airbnb counts it from the time they hit the magic "cancel this reservation" button.

You'll automatically be refunded what you're due based on the type of cancellation policy you have. I usually offer to refund any nights I'm able to re-book, minus a $40 admin (PITA) fee, which incentivises them to cancel sooner.

Allison, I'm in this situation now.  My guest needs to leave 4 days into a 10 day reservation and asked for a refund for unused days.  I have a strict cancellation policy because it's not likely that I will be able to rebook these days, but I told them if I am able to rebook, that I will refund.

I asked them to make the change on their end otherwise it looks like I am kicking them out.  I got a message saying "This guest requested changes to their trip. You can accept the changes or keep the current reservation." and when i review the request, the new payout is $800 less than the original, which tell sme if I accept, it will automatically refund their money and will take $800 from my future payouts.  

Am I reading this right?