Earn $608 AUD for every new host you refer - why not just treat hosts better so we don't leave?

Hugh0
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

Earn $608 AUD for every new host you refer - why not just treat hosts better so we don't leave?

Airbnb is now advertising a payment of $608 AUD plus $36 AUD for the new host in its drive to recruit more hosts. Supply and demand suggest the supply of new hosts must be drying up if the price is rising.

My question is this. Why not just treat existing hosts better so we don't give up hosting or move to other platforms that don't shout "Community" but actually empower hosts?

Why allow the skewed 5 star review fiasco to continue?

Why allow guests who violate either host or Airbnb rules to leave 1 star revenge reviews?

Why not value hosts and guests equally?

Why not keep hosts safe by banning guests from creating multiple profiles and requiring proper ID?

Why not allow hosts to actually use their security deposit to fix damages caused by guests?

Why discriminate against quality hosts by introducing a Plus program that does not guarantee quality and base amenities - rather it just wants the right throw pillows so an apartment looks "curated" and generic?

The list goes on and on and on. They are not hard to find. Just scroll through this forum.

10 Replies 10
Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

This is an excellent post, it is regrettable it seems to have been overlooked. I second your inquiry and your suggestions. This is the 2nd time I de-listed due to Airbnb's practices and policies, which favor the guest and can harm the host. Well, the 2nd time was also due to Chesky's 'blaming and shaming' tweet insinuating that 'abusive hosts and guests' lead to tragedies like the one in Orinda last Thursday (shooting with five deaths). That was the last straw for me. I will re-list if I see genuine change, not propaganda-driven, IPO-driven Corporate crap. There are other booking sites that even a home-sharing host can list on that allow me to properly vet potential guests and don't accuse me of 'discrimination' when doing so.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Hugh0 @Rebecca181 

I wrote this in response to a similar question a day or two ago... 

"Why does Airbnb keep adding hosts to an already saturated market?"

Because each and every new host has a nominal value on their heads, which is all counted towards to the company's obscene (and grossly unrealistic) $38 billion valuation. With the IPO/DPO on the way, it's crucial for the company to be showing impressive month-on-month growth for investors, which is why the New Host Referral Bonus has recently shot up so dramatically (€450 in Dublin,  $700-$800 in some US markets)

Also, new hosts are far more malleable and starry-eyed... much easier to manipulate, control and hoodwink than the cynical, battle-weary old long-termers (like us!) The weak, malfunctioning platform infrastructure is creaking under the pressure of being grossly overloaded anyway, so it suits Airbnb's purposes perfectly for older hosts to leave (or be pushed). We know way too much about where the bodies are buried!  

You have nailed it. Thank you. Absolutely correct 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Good point. Costs them nothing to make these promises to inflate host numbers before their float on the stock market. 

Hi everyone, being a warm heart host I am very disappointed the way airbnb has been treating our hosts. For some case managers, they think they have the power to treat hosts in unfairly because there is no way to complain them. Just being threatened by a case manager Lloyd, one guest booked by mistake and regretted  so she asked for a full refund, I agreed immediately and wrote to airbnb and thought I won’t need to spend more time on this. However this Lloyd case manger called and costed me an hour to argue with another cancellation case, asking me to chase some document from the guests???which is nothing to do with him or me, I said if you want to chase document you are welcome to but I don’t have time for it, I did not have any issue with the cancellation and I don’t want to waste time on it. He then threatened me if I don’t I will get penalties on my listings! I was so tired as it’s late local time, but he just keep going on and on....OMG, I had to say I am very disappointed because the way you treat the host is kind of bully! And I had to hang up with polite goodbye!.... I lost my super host title recently due to unfair review from guests (did not read before booking)and unfair handled by another male case manager...anyway thinking of withdraw another listing now...good luck everyone..

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

My daughter called me the other day to ask me about listing her cabin on Airbnb- she was looking for advice on how to do it. I discouraged her from doing that and suggested other avenues of getting guests. At this point, unless there are major changes in the way Airbnb deals with hosts, I would be ashamed to encourage anyone to sign up. $608 isn't nearly enough money for me to do something I'd consider unethical.

Thx everyone! Much appreciated your support, it's been a lonely journey. Last night I have blocked all dates after the last booking for one property, as I don't want to disappoint the guests who have booked. Airbnb management panel really need to work hard on training case manger and give host access to report or complain those who abuse their power.

Take care

Chastity3
Level 8
Orlando, FL

I do appreciate this posts and what others  have contributed as I am a new host. Currently, hosting my private room but also in the reno stage of my second home that will be up for rent soon.  I will be listing that home on other platforms than Airbnb. I continue to take notes from the hosts who’s been in this for a long time.