Easy to claim covid for a full refund

Easy to claim covid for a full refund

I had a recent reservation that cancelled and received a full refund 1 1/2 days before check in, claiming she has covid. I have no way of knowing for certain if she does or not, but just before she cancelled, she did send me a lengthy message with several questions about the cabin and was upset that she didn't notice these things when she booked. She did send a message about cancelling and she knew before hand that she would get a full refund. 

So I'm assuming if someone wants out of a reservation, all the need to do is claim covid without any proof. Why do we have cancellation policies when it's that easy to get around it and pop-ups will remind them repeatedly of that fact. Does airbnb require any documentation of a covid diagnosis? I'm guessing no.

4 Replies 4
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I think you missed the point. I don't expect anyone to travel with covid. I'm saying anyone that wants a refund can just make that claim and get a full refund no questions asked. 

I had someone book on December 20 traveling international to my place with nine people. She provided are you positive Covid test and they gave her a full refund. She canceled on the day of her arrival with her flight would have landed at the airport. No where in the  EC policy does It’s state that if you provide a positive Covid test that you automatically get a full refund. I’ve asked them to ride this several of occasions and they keep tap dancing around it. You can also test positive for Covid six months after you had Covid when you’re not even a spreader and you can look under the CDC guidelines for that you can also get fake Covid test online. Again I do not want anybody to travel with Covid. But we are going to have Covid for the next 3 to 4 years. So you will not be able to make a living if you can just get out of any contract by providing a positive Covid test. The EC policy does not state that you get a full refund by providing a positive Covid test. I had a reservation for nine people. Eight other people could’ve traveled. The airline did not give them a full refund

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Holly142  I've often thought about this "loophole" recently. While the pandemic rages on and this option is available it can be used as a get out of jail free card for guests who want to cancel penalty free for non covid related reasons. Dont get me wrong, I've had to use the option a couple of times myself due to covid restrictions and it's been a help, however as I have a strict cancellation policy it can be used freely to all guests who want to cancel at short notice. To my knowledge I haven't yet had a cancellation where it's been other than covid restrictions, but as this drags on it may change.