Edinburgh Restrictions

Steven65
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Edinburgh Restrictions

In the News today that 90 day Airbnb restriction will be implemented in Edinburgh, except Festival periods. Will exemptions apply (like London)? When will it happen? Does that mean other platforms can be used or will it apply via Government policy to all lettings? Lots of issues and questions! 

6 Replies 6
Robert732
Level 2

Hi Steven 

i saw that also and have to say to say I am very concerned about what will happen, I have one unit that I let out and it is full of my parents furniture after they passed so it’s not suitable for a 6 month let. If this legislation goes through it will just sit empty for 8 months of the year. 

Neale0
Level 1
United Kingdom

I also just read the news and it seems as though AirBnB are pushing forward these plans, presumably before they get regulated. As someone who has been an Edinburgh host on and off for about 4 years, I'm very dissapointed that AirBnb start to put forward plans/recommendations to the Govt without any discussion or consultation with the people most affected - Edinburgh's AirBnB hosts.  The BBC News website says: recommendations it made to an expert panel created by the Scottish government. Are there any local AirBnB hosts on that panel, surely we are also experts.

I'm usure why city centre and in particlaur Old Town issues should become a city-wide blanket ban. Before this has even started I'm convinced that once again the Scottish Govt will go for the knee-jerk headline grabbing option.

Steven65
Level 10

I agree. We should be consulted where I would recommend a licensing system demonstrating compliance with HMRC, business rates, Council permissions and insurance etc. 

Brian439
Level 2

Yes, if the  90-day restriction on holiday lets is applied in Edinburgh, I supect I will have no choice but to leave   AirBnB, and revert to offering a rental under the new Private Residential Tenancy contract. 
I suppose that's what the Scottish Government wants to happen  anyway - fewer holiday lets, and more long-term rentals .  

Carla577
Level 2
Kintnersville, PA

Can anyone on this thread confirm if Edinburgh went ahead with this restriction for minimum 90 day let? These posts appear to be 10 months old.

Dawn36
Level 2

Hi Carla - presumably Airbnb would have to alert Edinburgh hosts to this change both personally and in terms of change to booking systems. Apparently they disallow any further bookings when you’ve reached the 90 day threshold and only release the next 90 day period in the next available year. I’m not aware of any such restrictions yet and would also expect fairly heavy media coverage if/when the restrictions are implemented.