Egg shells

Answered!
Debbie930
Level 4
McCalla, AL

Egg shells

Got a little chuckle this mornig when I read my guests private post about my eggs in the refridgerator. Admittedly, I don't open the 18 count egg carton everyday to check for eggs as I keep up with the number of guests through daily, and basically can figure out when I might be getting low. Apparently a past guest(s) had placed used egg shells back in the carton and the guest wrote that it "completely turned us off to ever wanting to come back".  There were still half dozen eggs left in the carton. My immediate thought was, 'how many AirBnB hosts supply the guests with a well stocked pantry so they do not have to go out for food if they come in late, or go our for breakfast in the mornings?'

I ensure there is soup, frozen dinners, snacks, drinks, wine, and all sorts of breakfast food, all at no extra price to the guest. I don't charge cleaning fees, pet fees, or anything else. I take care of the cottage myself and ensure it is beyond spotless (check my 144 reviews of a spotless cabin!)  I stay booked 30 nights a month, every month. Yet, these little 20-something-year-old snots only have to pay a $60.00 nightly rate for a 5 star, top of the line cottage, fully stocked, stand-alone space and bitch about 6 eggshells in an egg carton!  I come from a completely different world than these entitled younguns! Oh, well...time to laugh it off.

1 Best Answer
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

We get freshly laid eggs from a friend and yes the eggshells have always been a great fertiliser in the garden.

Birds like to peck at them and worms, earwigs and wood louse like to crawl through them.

We crush ours up after we have used them.

Maybe you could include a piece about composting of egg shells @Debbie930 

View Best Answer in original post

24 Replies 24
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Debbie930 

Another line to add to our houserules:

Do not place empty eggshells back in the refridgerator

🤣

The guest has a point. The empty eggshells are concerning. It implies the food safety isn’t monitored. I would take it as a tip for things to check between guests.

We aren’t allowed to provide perishable food in my city because of risk of contamination between guests and potential liability.

Mike850
Level 2
Orlando, FL

@Debbie930 I can understand their perspective as it might make them wonder if someone had left the eggs out, or contaminated the others by putting the shells back in.

I also include a lot of extras for my guests as I know from traveling how nice it is to have something readily available after traveling all day. Pre-COVID, we'd put out a charcuterie tray or something similar for late arriving guests (usually they missed a good dinner option and their eyes light up when they see it!), but avoided that during the peak of the pandemic. If anything, now we'll buy a nice pre-packaged tray and bring it out while showing them around so it's always sealed fresh. I always mention our experience of receiving nice amenities after a long day, and how we opted for packaged products for their safety. You kind of let them know you are going above and beyond for them and care about their safety. 

Aside from a personalized welcome amenity, we generally limit anything perishable just so we don't have the worry of possibly missing an expiration date, or awkward situations like yours. We get around it by providing small size condiments, instant oatmeal packets, microwave popcorn bags, K-cups/creamers and other single use goodies. No worries about gunk on ketchup bottles or dirty hands scooping popcorn or coffee from a larger package. We even switched to travel sized tissue packs on the nightstands/bathroom instead of large tissue boxes (Kleenex, etc.) since that could be a virus spreader. We have shaving kits, toothbrush kits, and such on hand as well in case they forgot anything. Very few have ever needed them, but they all appreciate the thought. 

If you want to keep providing eggs, perhaps consider cutting the carton to provide enough for a breakfast or two, while ensuring few if any leftovers. In most cases, guests will hit the local market for supplies anyway. All you need to do to make them happy is to provide enough to get them by until they go. If they got in at 11PM, the last thing they want to do is run out looking for a store to buy eggs for the kids' breakfast in the morning! 

My response to the guest would be a simple apology that this was missed during cleaning and that you'll add detailed checks of all food items to your cleaning routine. Mention that you enjoy providing personal touches such as complimentary food and thank them for helping you to ensure the best experience possible for future guests. 

It is a shame that someone left you a mess like that, but it does happen and we just have to take steps to prevent any future issues. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply. Like you, I also supply everything they could possibly need, even down to feminine products. I don't charge enuf to do the tray, but I'd love staying in your place!

The only reason I have fresh breakfast products, in addition to the small packs I'd oatmeal, grits, cereal, etc., is because I have a full kitchen for them and, like you, I don't want them to have to scurry on the dark rural roads trying to find a store.

Well, live and learn! Chalking this one up as a cleaning slip on my part.

@Debbie930 Happens to the best of us! Your place sounds wonderful as well:-). 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Debbie930 Though it does seem picky we actually check our eggs between guests. They do often leave shells back in the cartons as well as coffee filters full of grinds, half eaten restaurant take out, expired milk, etc etc. We throw everything out that needs to go. Our cleaners often miss food items or don't know what we want to keep so this is part of our "cross check" when we go to set up the welcome sign and disinfect.

We don't leave a fully stocked pantry but we do leave eggs, milk, cooking oils, spices, bottled water and non-dairy creamer as well as a little snack basket with some wine if they partake. Some guests are very skeeved out by certain things -- dust under the bed, a bug indoors, eggshells. You just never know what will set who off. And though this is small (and yes a little gross) I would probably just apologize that they had an experience that made them upset and move on. 

ETA-- your tiny cottage is absolutely adorable! Ill come stay with you, eggs or no eggs. And YES-- RAISE YOUR PRICES. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Debbie930  These millennials!  One minute they're lecturing us about composting and recycling, the next they can't bear the sight of a couple of eggshells.

But guys how do you define a fully stocked pantry @Debbie930 @Mike850 @Laura2592?  In the pantry closet itself I have flour, sugar, salt, pepper, spices, oils, grains, baking ingredients and mixes, canned goods, coffee and tea.  The refrigerator has condiments, basically.  I don't leave perishables at all.  The housekeeper throws away or keeps whatever is left behind.  I state I have a fully stocked pantry, but given what you guys provide, I'm wondering if that is the case?

@Ann72 when I think "fully stocked pantry" I think I could go in and prepare any meals I needed during my stay. We don't offer that. 

@Laura2592  I don't offer that, either - unless you can make a meal out of some rice and some stewed tomatoes 🙂  Hmmm, I will have to re-think my wording!

@Ann72 how about "Pantry with a number of provisions"? Its noncommittal but lets guests know you have some staples. 

I don't like to advertise any food as I would prefer my guests bring a frozen pizza or go out for meals 🙂

👍👍👍  Thank you, @Laura2592!  I'll switch from "fully stocked" to "well stocked."  🙂

@Ann72   Well stocked is the way to go -- where I am, if I offer any foodstuffs that could be implied as "Bed and Breakfast" I would have to operate under a whole other set of rules and health inspections.  Thus no items beyond salt, pepper, sugar, sugar subs and creamer packs.  No coffee, tea or wine.  Fortunately, my guests have to pass by our large, open late, full service grocery on their way in, and I remind them to stop if they can.  I wish I could do more.

Just like you @Lorna170 I wish I could do more!  But the guests seem to expect that they'll bring or pick up their own groceries.  I have even offered to have it done for them and they always say no.  Love a self-sufficient guest!

I like that too!