Electric Bill charges on Security Deposit

Nelson10
Level 2
Okinawa Prefecture, Japan

Electric Bill charges on Security Deposit

I specifically wrote in my Hosting details that electric bill charges in excess of $100/month will be charged to the renter and claimed through the Security Deposit.  My client has full knowkledge of this and agreed to those terms.  Tenant's electricity consumption has already exceeded the terms and has agreed to have the excess charged through the Security Deposit.  But I've read that AirBnB does not consider this arrangement as a damage claim. How am I going to get the utility bill payment now? 

4 Replies 4
Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You will have to request additional payments via the resolution centre. Airbnb will e-mail the guest and if he accepts they will charge his card but if he does not accept then unfortunately they won't be able to charge him.

Although you have mentioned it will be deducted from Security deposit, it is not a damage or repaid as such cannot be enforced. I would suggest you review you listing and make allowance in your nightly rate for electricity. Alternatively, you can add a line to your listing description to explain this but you will always be at the mercy of the guest agreeing to this payment and if the guest has checked out by the time you make this request then there is every possibility that they may not approve such extra charges.

BW, Ama

Your arrangement is a potential hassle, with AirBnB and guests; best to work on another solution.  Charge slightly more for the unexpected.

Nelson10
Level 2
Okinawa Prefecture, Japan

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I cannot adjust my pricing any higher because my area  ( a mega city with  hundreds of units per block listed in ABB) have driven the average rent to dirt-cheap level. And it is not always that I have tenants that most likely leave the air-conditioning systems on all day /night or when they are not  There has got to be an AirBNb system that should address this issue.   

I invented a little device ,Perhaps I can help you on it  ,especially when  guests leave the aircon on when they are out; If you are interested,  feel free to email me or leave a message

always got a contigency plan