Emotional Support Pet Scam (just when I thought I'd seen it all)

Answered!

Emotional Support Pet Scam (just when I thought I'd seen it all)

This website was found by one of our local hosts. A scam website that will let anyone sign up and get a "doctors note" for their pet to be reclassified as an Emotional Support Animal.

Hence why so many hosts are fed up with Airbnb insisting that ESA are equivalent to Service Animals (which can also be scammed on occasion):

Read and weep (or laugh):

https://www.supportpets.com/home5/

1 Best Answer
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

2 years ago there was a very popular thread here on CC about ESA scam, written by a host who is also a psyhologist or ADA trainer ( I don't remember exactly but she was competent ) . Even then she warned other hosts about such websites where you can buy fake certificates for $5.

Since then some airlines changed their rules and don't allow ETA on board with passengers anymore

Does someone remember the name of this thread?

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Christine615  I don't understand why the ADA doesn't crack down on this c**p. It does a disserevice to everyone with real disabilities. The testimonials from the entitled snowflakes are truly vomit worthy.

"As a full-time yoga instructor and speaker, I am on planes a lot. And I need my cat to get me through the rough patches in life just as much as I need my yoga and meditation time."

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

2 years ago there was a very popular thread here on CC about ESA scam, written by a host who is also a psyhologist or ADA trainer ( I don't remember exactly but she was competent ) . Even then she warned other hosts about such websites where you can buy fake certificates for $5.

Since then some airlines changed their rules and don't allow ETA on board with passengers anymore

Does someone remember the name of this thread?

Bravo @Alexandra316 , yes this is the thread, written by Rebbeca, a licensed therapist and one of her specialties is animal-assisted therapy and she is also able to 'certify' support animals. So, she knows what she is talking about

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Christine615 Yes,  I don't understand why the USA followed through with such an obviously flawed plan that's so ripe for abuse by the unscrupulous. People have been paying for these certificates for years. My favourite story about it is this one: 

'Emotional support peacock' barred from United Airlines plane - BBC News

I'm sure it was art as much as anything else, but I think the ongoing abuse of the ESA system must have a negative effect on people with legitimate service animals. 

I'm a pet friendly host and I would be happy to accept service animals or ESAs, but I think Airbnb needs to do something about their policy around ESAs specifically. It's not fair to hosts or to people with legitimate service animals otherwise. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

No need to even bother with the scam fake letter business because Airbnb does not require documentation. They make it so easy for scammers it’s sickening. 

If airlines no longer allow Emotional Support Animals can't Airbnb hosts do the same?

@Lynne371  Airbnb hosts can do as they please, in contrary to Airbnb, as long as they don’t mind being delisted by Airbnb in the process. Whatever policy is set by Airbnb must be followed, as a condition to list on the platform.

I haven't heard of a host being delisted over the animal issue. Although it's clearly a threat held against hosts. I think, at some point, that will change when one of those untrained ESA animals harms a host or a neighbor and it ends up in the news. This is the public part of the forum. The press can easily search how often hosts have complained about Airbnb's policies that don't make sense.

Plus - Airbnb doesn't pay for animal damage, even from service animals. So take that into account.

We think Airbnb should have a separate category for pet and nut "allergen free" accommodations. So that THOSE people can book Airbnb's safely too.