Encouraged to host longer stays?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Encouraged to host longer stays?

I just got this message on my account "We have noticed that guests in your area are looking for longer stays close to home. Consider updating your length of stay. Help out your community. Get started here."

We use our cottage as a weekend place and have no interest in longer-term guests. It seems ironic if everyone is being told to stay put that Airbnb wants them to stay put in the place that realistically we would go to ourselves if one of us got sick and really needed to be away from others. I now have the option of approving longer stays than my 7 night limit. I won't be doing that. Not all of our guests have cancelled.  How is this helping out my community?

Is anyone else seeing this message or is this something just in my market?

44 Replies 44
Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

Yes, @Laura2592 I'm getting the same message. I'm open to it...but would not do more than 3 weeks to avoid the them getting the rights of a long term tenancy.

@Ann783 yes I agree. I would never want to run into tenancy issues.

My concern is always cleaning after longer stays. You can really see the difference between a weekend guest and a week-long guest during turn over. So even in the best of times, I am leery. And now that we are doing extra extra extra disinfecting, it takes longer to make sure the place is clean and ready even with shorter term guests. 

Yes @Laura2592 I charge for additional cleaning after one week. They have to allow my housekeeper in.  In addition to cleaning - she changes all the linens out. I'm also allowing for an extra day or two between bookings to allow for the extra disinfecting of light switches, remotes, knobs, handles etc.

@Ann783 how did you set up the additional cleaning fee after a week? Do you just request funds from the guest during the stay?

.@Laura2592 the guest wanted to extend her stay from one week to do. I sent her the alteration request and just added the cleaning fee to the total stay fee. 

@Ann783 @Laura2592 I am in NY and I will not do more than 7 days due to issues with tenant laws and the amount of cleaning that would be necessary after a guest leaves . We only do weekends 🙂 It has been EXCELLENT

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think it is outrageous that Airbnb is encouraging any host to host stays long or short at the moment. This runs contrary to most government and health advice which has shown that travel is one of the quickest ways to spread the virus.

Many responsible hosts have blocked out dates over the coming months to all but local health and key workers.

@Helen3  well I guess I am an irresponsible host as I have not cancelled or blocked out stays. We are told not to gather in groups of ten or more and to disinfect thoroughly. Our cottage is in a fairly remote location, we have 4 max guests, and we have upped our disinfecting game since all of this broke out. We will continue to host as we do not violate any guidelines. I am very grateful that we still have bookings and our guests have been very grateful for the opportunity to stay while they continue to "socially distance" themselves. If your listing is suitable for what health officials recommend I see no reason to cancel stays. 

@Laura2592 

Considering what is happening all around the world, imo, anyone thinking it's *okay* to travel for nonessential reasons is being completely irresponsible. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sadly yes you are @Laura2592 when people travel it helps to spread the virus however remote your cottage. It is not about whether you are personally at risk but you encouraging guests to come into your community.

I work for our National Health Service and have seen first hand the impact on our health service who are struggling to cope. This will only get worse as the numbers needing hospitalisation increases.

How are your health services coping. I heard in the US although you have limited amounts of tests being provided for free your government is still making people who have the virus pay for treatment.  Which means the poor who can't afford care will be left untreated and more vulnerable to spreading the virus.

The only way we can slow down the spread of the virus is by practicing social-isolation yourselves and not accepting bookings in the coming months.

.@Helen3 I consider myself a responsible host. I reached out to upcoming guests to let them know they can contact Airbnb to cancel. I'm one of those hosts who doesn't care about the full refund. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0  we are following the advice of the CDC. Our guests are typically from the area (Baltimore, DC, etc) and if they are only bringing themselves/their partner holing up in our cottage for a few days is no more irresponsible than going to a grocery store. These people are not flying in. They are driving from an hour, even a half-hour away, sitting in a remote location, reading, watching Netflix and listening to old records. They would be doing the same thing in their own home and often that home is in an urban location where they have more contact with others. We disinfect thoroughly and follow CDC guidance on cleaning. I don't want this to turn into a debate on what the right way to "socially isolate" oneself is, but would love feedback on the longer stay question Airbnb is offering. Let's be supportive of one another. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry @Laura2592  you are making assumptions here. What about if they have the virus and pick up petrol on route or go into local shops with the virus and spread it while there.

I am beyond shocked that your health organisation are saying it is okay for people to travel for non essential reasons.

The best way to be supportive of each other and our local communities is not to accept guests who have to travel to be with us.

If you want to continue to accept guests, why not contact your local hospitals and provide cost effective accommodation for their key workers.

@Helen3  in the interest of collegiality, I am going to drop this line of coronashame that seems to be building in this back and forth.  🙂 I wish you the best and will continue to follow the advice of my health organizations. Stay well let's hope this is all over soon.